• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Im def paranoid...and hate to say it, scared about owning a gun with small kids in the house. Safety is def tops in my mind. Thanks!

You sound alot like me! What you want is a SAFE, a SAFEty class, and a SAFE firearm. Probably in that order. I personally like SIGs for good, SAFE carry pistols (P228/9 are good choices). But go find a friend or range where you can get your hands on a few different examples and test fire before you purchase. It might sound cliche but, whatever you do, always remember to 'treat EVERY firearm as though it were loaded'! Know where they are and KEEP THEM LOCKED AWAY when not in your possession. Especially if children are around.

My :twocents:.

:cheers:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Welcome from Martinsville! Glad to have you here. Since you are new to the forum here is a link to the training sub-forum
    Training Being in Carmel, I would suggest Tactical Firearms Training initially as he is local to you and uses/runs the Eagle Creek Pistol Range. He also holds 'Women Only' classes too.
    Good luck on your first purchase and your training classes!

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    You sound alot like me! What you want is a SAFE, a SAFEty class, and a SAFE firearm. Probably in that order. I personally like SIGs for good, SAFE carry pistols (P228/9 are good choices). But go find a friend or range where you can get your hands on a few different examples and test fire before you purchase. It might sound cliche but, whatever you do, always remember to 'treat EVERY firearm as though it were loaded'! Know where they are and KEEP THEM LOCKED AWAY when not in your possession. Especially if children are around.

My :twocents:.

:cheers:

Thats SPOT ON! Sigs are one of the brands Ive narrowed it down to. its SO overwhelming right now.

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Welcome from Martinsville! Glad to have you here. Since you are new to the forum here is a link to the training sub-forum
    Training Being in Carmel, I would suggest Tactical Firearms Training initially as he is local to you and uses/runs the Eagle Creek Pistol Range. He also holds 'Women Only' classes too.
    Good luck on your first purchase and your training classes!

Thank you..thats perfect, just what I needed.

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Welcome from Greenwood. If you decide need anything "Glock related" keep me in mind.

NRA Life Member-- GSSF member
    Gunsite graduate --Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor --1911 Mechanic

Thank you for the welcome. Glocks are on everyone's short list, right? Im def going to try and fire one to see what all the love for the brand is about.

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Im confused...already. Wont I need my own firearm for the training? Thats why its where it is on my list. Im not planning a purchase until after the next gun and knife show in Indy, where Ill get a chance to hold several brands in my hands. Then my plan is to support a local Indiana shop instead of the out of towners at the show. I think its around the 18th. Anyone plan on going to that?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You won't need it for the "NRA Pistol Basics" class. That class is intended for true newbies and they really don't want or expect people to bring in guns if they don't know anything about them including how to handle them safely. You will need it for later classes, but the class descriptions will be clear about what you need. The more you learn *before* you purchase your first gun, the better.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Im def paranoid...and hate to say it, scared about owning a gun with small kids in the house. Safety is def tops in my mind. Thanks!

:welcome: to :ingo:!

I would suggest joining the NRA. They have lots of resources for gun owners. One in particular you might want to look into, since you have small children is the Eddie Eagle program ( eddieeagle.nra.org ). Another program when they get to the right age (8-18) is the 4-H shooting sports program ( National 4-H Shooting Sports ). Making this a family thing is great if possible.

Before you buy a gun think about getting some training with someone that has guns they can let you try. That will help familiarize you with how they work, and give you an idea of what you like and feels comfortable to you. Handling one before you purchase is good, actually shooting it with instruction on how it works is even better. Plan on continuing to get training and continuing to practice as many of the skills are perishable. There is no substitute for in person training, but to help familiarize yourself with things and to help your ongoing training there are lots of resources online such as Gun Talk's First Person Defender series ( First Person Defender - YouTube ).

I second the comment about a quick access pistol safe if you are concerned about home defense. A large safe is great for storage, but they are usually not something you can quickly access in an emergency. There are many on the market for a wide range of prices. I have a biometric one that runs off of batteries, AC, or AC with the battery as a backup. Both my wife and I have our prints stored in it so either of us can access it in seconds if needed, but it keeps anyone who should not have access out. It is not as secure as a large safe in regard to burglary, but that is not its main purpose. Both types have their purposes, and you will probably end up with both types.

Be safe, and have fun.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    You won't need it for the "NRA Pistol Basics" class. That class is intended for true newbies and they really don't want or expect people to bring in guns if they don't know anything about them including how to handle them safely. You will need it for later classes, but the class descriptions will be clear about what you need. The more you learn *before* you purchase your first gun, the better.

:+1:

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    :welcome: to :ingo:!

I would suggest joining the NRA. They have lots of resources for gun owners. One in particular you might want to look into, since you have small children is the Eddie Eagle program ( eddieeagle.nra.org ). Another program when they get to the right age (8-18) is the 4-H shooting sports program ( National 4-H Shooting Sports ). Making this a family thing is great if possible.

Before you buy a gun think about getting some training with someone that has guns they can let you try. That will help familiarize you with how they work, and give you an idea of what you like and feels comfortable to you. Handling one before you purchase is good, actually shooting it with instruction on how it works is even better. Plan on continuing to get training and continuing to practice as many of the skills are perishable. There is no substitute for in person training, but to help familiarize yourself with things and to help your ongoing training there are lots of resources online such as Gun Talk's First Person Defender series ( First Person Defender - YouTube ).

I second the comment about a quick access pistol safe if you are concerned about home defense. A large safe is great for storage, but they are usually not something you can quickly access in an emergency. There are many on the market for a wide range of prices. I have a biometric one that runs off of batteries, AC, or AC with the battery as a backup. Both my wife and I have our prints stored in it so either of us can access it in seconds if needed, but it keeps anyone who should not have access out. It is not as secure as a large safe in regard to burglary, but that is not its main purpose. Both types have their purposes, and you will probably end up with both types.

Be safe, and have fun.

Ton of good info and advice! thank you for taking the time. Adding it to my list

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom