• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I decided that it was time to upgrade the target frames that I use in the back in our shooting area. My range is not as pretty as other folks have, but it is safe and functional. We usually use paper targets to shoot at and attach them to the target frame below:

Target1.jpg

Plywood only stands up so long and then you have to replace it. So I wanted to try something different. I saw some self-healing plastic at the Indy 1500 for some crazy price, but it gave me an idea. So I went to Big R in Crawfordsville and bought a rubber mud flap 1/8" thick and dropped forty rounds of .45ACP FMJ into it. This is the results:

Front:

Target2.jpg

Back side:

Target3.jpg

Not to bad!! So I went Back to Big R and bought two 24"x36"x1/2" mudflaps for $15 ea. THen off to Home Depot for 4ea pressure-treated 4"x4"x8' posts:

Target4.jpg

With the addition of some scrap treated lumber, we made a target frame that has a replaceable back drop. No more are the days of trashing plywood. These mudflaps have a self-healing ability and do not blow out. Here is the finished product:

Target5.jpg

and

Target6.jpg

We created a slide-in frame so the backer (mud-flap) could be replaced easily. I will be trying it out tomorrow and will let you know the results. I think this is a pretty sweet way to setup a range. We will be replacing the existing target frame, and adding a third lane in the next week. I hope this helps someone out. It is fairly cheap. Seven dollars per 4"x4" and $15 per mudflap. Special thanks go to my cousin Dayle for his help!!

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great work! I think I'll borrow the mudflap idea. I've made some target holders that I fill with sand to stop any rounds from going through (don't have a good berm to shoot into).

The main problem is that once the front MDF or Plywood gets a few holes in it, the sand runds out. THe mudflaps out to do the trick.

Thanks for a good idea!

Top Bottom