• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I don't understand the lack of front strap checkering on all these new Springfield models. Do some people prefer the smooth front strap? I do not.

It makes the gun significantly cheaper to manufacturer , good front strap checkering takes a lot of CNC time I would imagine as most companies price jumps $300-$400 generally to get front strap checkering.

Also 100% agree, I have zero interest in any 1911 that lacks front strap checkering. Really helps lock the pistol into your hand IMHO. 25 LPI is probably the best IMHO as I find 30 too fine and 20 is like a cheese grater

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    It makes the gun significantly cheaper to manufacturer , good front strap checkering takes a lot of CNC time I would imagine as most companies price jumps $300-$400 generally to get front strap checkering.

Also 100% agree, I have zero interest in any 1911 that lacks front strap checkering. Really helps lock the pistol into your hand IMHO. 25 LPI is probably the best IMHO as I find 30 too fine and 20 is like a cheese grater

Agree 100%, I just didn't think it cost the manufacturer very much (relatively). Once you're set up to cut, I wouldn't think it would take more than several minutes per unit. I know that CNC time is valuable, but if it cost the OM $50, I'd pay the extra $100 or $150 for the front strap.

I've got enough pistols with the Hogue finger grips already, and the new Springfields are a handsome piece with the wood grips.

p.s.: I've never had custom work done. How much does a front strap job cost on the custom market, assuming there's enough material to work with?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Agree 100%, I just didn't think it cost the manufacturer very much (relatively). Once you're set up to cut, I wouldn't think it would take more than several minutes per unit. I know that CNC time is valuable, but if it cost the OM $50, I'd pay the extra $100 or $150 for the front strap.

I've got enough pistols with the Hogue finger grips already, and the new Springfields are a handsome piece with the wood grips.

p.s.: I've never had custom work done. How much does a front strap job cost on the custom market, assuming there's enough material to work with?

AllenM did the front strap checkering on two of my 1911s and IIRC, it was $250. Worth every penny too. Below is one of the ones he has done
    ade84678d2532dedde153f50adb5a648.jpg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Kygunco has no Springers currently in stock. Their pricing makes little sense to me but if their posted prices are correct (and they give an additional cash/check discount) i think I will keep saving my pennies and go for a stainless Range officer (But won’t hold my breath waiting).
    60F097FE-AB62-4675-B8D6-3925F979403F.png30B0148F-CB4D-4697-B301-A371CAE080A3.png147ED5B1-700A-4855-A873-965D6C2FB487.png37FF36A1-206E-4487-BC34-FA0EDA3A14AD.png

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The Range Officer line was discontinued.
    I should have used purple (and they still make a RO elite in 10mm).

main point is they have multiple pistols listed that are no longer available and who would spend more for a mil-spec over a Garrison. I have hopes of some day finding a nice used RO for a fair price.

and most all reasonable priced springers seem to be unobtainium.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Only thing I don't like is the aluminum frame. Do all EMP's have aluminum frame?
    The EMP4 in .40 had a steel frame. Doesn't look like they offer it in .40 anymore, though. To my knowledge, all of the 9mm variants use an aluminum frame.

I have the original EMP4 in 9mm. I love that gun, and it carries nice, but I'll admit there is definitely something about a 1911 that begs for a steel frame. I wish they'd offer an EMP in a non-two-tone finish, too. Mine is stainless slide with a black anodized frame. The Ronin just flip-flops it. And uses cerakote on the frame. Blech. At least the Ronin has a single-sided safety and the newer, understated rollmarks that IMO look at lot better than the old gaudy billboard.

My complaints are only cosmetic, though...it's a great shooting gun. Here's mine, after replacing the slide stop, thumb-safety, and swapping the thin grip panels for some standard-thickness 1911 panels.

51518766924_cfdbac08cd_z.jpg

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That is a sadness but in an age of shiny gadgets I can understand. I have used that model as a platform for sooo many mods.
    They still seem to make a comparable version called the Loaded Target which I actually think looks better. It has the thinner standard 1911 serrations front and rear vs. the wider milled serrations of the traditional loaded models.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    They still seem to make a comparable version called the Loaded Target which I actually think looks better. It has the thinner standard 1911 serrations front and rear vs. the wider milled serrations of the traditional loaded models.

I noticed that one as well. IMO the thinner serrations not only look better, they're more practical...easier on the hands and your leather holsters. I had to knock the edges down on my Loaded with the old style serrations.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I noticed that one as well. IMO the thinner serrations not only look better, they're more practical...easier on the hands and your leather holsters. I had to knock the edges down on my Loaded with the old style serrations.
    Yes, that serration style looks much better and is what you get on the custom shop guns from SPFD. Some companies can do those wider milled serrations like Wilson, Nighthaw etc., but something about the SPFD's I just don't like, I never owned a Loaded for that reason.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I was in Highsmiths today and they got in a blue Garrison, price is higher though at 799.00. I looked it over, the gun was very tight, nice trigger, the safety was contoured nicely to the frame and one of the best beavertail fits for a SPFD i've seen in awhile.
    I got mine a couple weeks ago. The fit is phenomenal for a sub 1k pistol. My only gripe is the salt blue finish isn't what I had hoped for. I ordered online sight unseen. I wasn't expecting Colt Royal Blue but honestly I was expecting a little better bluing than what it had. But for the price it is indeed a fantastic pistol and I'm extremely happy with it.
    The slide to frame fit is as good as any Dan Wesson I've handled.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got mine a couple weeks ago. The fit is phenomenal for a sub 1k pistol. My only gripe is the salt blue finish isn't what I had hoped for. I ordered online sight unseen. I wasn't expecting Colt Royal Blue but honestly I was expecting a little better bluing than what it had. But for the price it is indeed a fantastic pistol and I'm extremely happy with it.
    The slide to frame fit is as good as any Dan Wesson I've handled.
    ? I thought the bluing looked great on the one I looked at.

Top Bottom