• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    While you are checking humidity levels you might check for temperature variance between safe and basement....maybe your light stick is getting the safe too warm???? just a thought

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Wow, you already have a Goldenrod AND a dehumidifier? I keep my Browning safe in my finished garage w/o problem. It is an insulated safe with a Goldenrod in the bottom corner. Is your rod mounted as low as possible? Safes are not airtight, even fire rated ones. The rod heats up and the hot air rises. The moving air is what keeps condensation from settling on the firearms. If you have the rod mounted somewhere too high, the air will not circulate properly.

The rod is on the bottom of the safe. About four inches up is the level where the gun butts are. I was going to suggest to him a new arrangement but frankly I couldn't think of a better one than that.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Here is one of the problems I am thinking about. If there is moisture in the safe already and you put a warming rod or light bulb in the bottom the moisture is evaporating and flowing freely through the safe with nowhere to really go.

The warming rods are designed to keep moisture out, not remove moisture. Add some color indicating desiccant in conjunction with the warming rod that way any moisture that evaporates has some place to get trapped.

I think from reading a few stories about new safes and moisture problems it would be a very good idea to make sure the safe is dry completely before adding firearms.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Nope, the warming rod's intention is solely to keep the temp inside the safe a few degrees warmer than the air outside the safe. Thus lowering the relative humidtiy in the safe. A light bulb won't do anything different.

Two things, as suggested above they may not be properly treating the guns before they are put in the safe. Use CLP or the like on the weapons.

Secondly, They have a dehumidifer in the basement, so what? It may not be big enough to properly lower the humidity. Or they are going on what the humidifer setting is. If you don't have a hygrometer meter, you have no idea if the dehumidifer is working correctly or not. Do not trust the meter or settings on the humidifier. They lie most of the time.

If the humidfier is found to not be doing it's job, resolve the issue. When the humidity in the basement is staying at approx 50%, leave the safe door open for a few days to dry out it's interior. Better yet, let the humidfier blow it's exhaust into the open safe.

Make sure they are not storing anything in the basement that is corrosive such as pool chlorine or muratic acid. They will leach out of their containers and cause metal to rust rapidly.

A hygrometer can be bought for $10-$15 at lowes or amazon.com, lots cheaper than ruining guns.

reeceman1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    westside indy
    A dehumidifier should help some. I have also been told that the material used in the moisture absorbers is acidic. Could be a culprit. Worth a shot?

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Moistureguard Super Safe Plug - Gun Care - Gun Storage
    Got informed about these from a collector with a number of safes.
    He had some issues with a couple of his safes that had rods in them and sealed up for a while.
    He found these at the NRA show a couple of years ago and has used them since then with great sucess.
    I think I paid $20 for mine last month at Cabela's when I was there.
    I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned these up till now.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I think I would probably be moving the safe OUT of the basement first and foremost... I keep my firearms in a homemade wooden rack that holds them vertically on the wall in a walk in closet that has a couple of really good lock on a reenforced door and casement. I also keep them sloppily wet wjthnoil to the point my cousin thought I had painted and clearcoated them. Homeowners rider protects them in case of fire and theft. Always thought about a safe but just never could make myself by one. I would definately have the basement sealed and probably have a heating and cooling company come in and asses the situation.
    My cousjn worked heating and coolkng for several years and he actually installed a HUMIDIFIER in a gun VAULT in a doctors home. It basically worked as a large humidor for the wood stocks on the dr's very expensive firearms collection. Not sure of details as he wasnt allowed to tell me much.

Top Bottom