• ...and so much more!
  • dmc0

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Indianapolis
    Hey! I’m pretty new to the world of firearms and just wanted to ask and see what are some of the more recommended first edc guns, so I could get some footing in what I should be researching and becoming familiar with. Thank you in advance for sharing some knowledge, take care and be safe!

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    That is such a personal topic. You will have strong opinions about manufacturer, caliber, types of trigger ... etc.

My EDC is determined by my department so it is a Sig 365. You are in Indy so you should be able to rent some guns and maybe meet someone who will allow you to try different guns to find out what is best for you.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    It is a very personal thing. I believe that you don't pick the gun, the gun picks you. My first gun was a Glock 17. It was a little too big and bulky for CC. But I learned to carry it anyway. I wished I had tried out several others in the beginning. If I had, I wouldn't have gotten the Glock I'm sure. But I saw it a lot on TV and thought that this is how things should be. And to this day, its the only Glock I have ever owned.lol When I was teaching my kids to shoot. We went to a few gun stores and was honest upfront that we were not buying but trying to figure out what fit their hands the best. The sales people had a blast with the kids and kept complementing them on how well safety minded they were with handling different guns. Another option, some ranges have rental guns you can shoot to test out. They may also require you to buy their ammo to use. There may also be members on here that live close to you that might be willing to meet up at a range to try out some of their guns. Once again, they may ask you to buy the ammo. But ultimately you should try different guns to see how well they fit your hands and how well you can shoot them. weather accuracy or able to handle the recoil.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I think your first sentence is a contradiction. If you are relatively new to firearms, the LAST thing you should be thinking about is what to carry. First and foremost, make sure you understand the concept of firearms safety, and all that entails. The second thing you need to master is basic shooting skills, like sight alignment and trigger control. For that, I'd suggest a long gun of some sort in .22LR. Long guns, by virtue of their length, are a bit easier to be safe with than handguns. And .22LR ammo is dirt cheap compared to other calibers. If all of that is behind you, and well mastered, start by renting some guns. If you can't find a knowledgeable to show you how to operate the various guns you rent, arrange to hire (pay) an instructor. I assume most indoor ranges and gun stores with a range have such services available. Shooting a few (dozen) different guns will give you an idea of what you like. Size, weight, caliber, recoil, concealability, type of action, type of trigger, cost of practice ammo are all things you should consider before buying. Once you have selected something you want to work with, buy one. Renting a gun, and buying store ($$$) ammo will cost you more than just buying the gun outright. Plus, if/when you change your mind, you can sell your gun to recoup some the money you've spent. Once you can consistently put rounds where you want to put them, in a variety of situations, then you can consider carrying a gun in public.
    Lots of people will tell you to get this or that gun, primarily because that is what they carry, and they are convinced it is the best choice. It is... for them. When someone suggests you carry gun X, ask the next person giving you advice for a few reasons why you would NOT want to carry that gun. Keep that going. Gather information. If/when you can have an intelligent, informed conversation about the pros and cons of a wide range of carry guns, it will be time to start narrowing your choices. Good luck and happy shooting.

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I think your first sentence is a contradiction. If you are relatively new to firearms, the LAST thing you should be thinking about is what to carry. First and foremost, make sure you understand the concept of firearms safety, and all that entails. The second thing you need to master is basic shooting skills, like sight alignment and trigger control. For that, I'd suggest a long gun of some sort in .22LR. Long guns, by virtue of their length, are a bit easier to be safe with than handguns. And .22LR ammo is dirt cheap compared to other calibers. If all of that is behind you, and well mastered, start by renting some guns. If you can't find a knowledgeable to show you how to operate the various guns you rent, arrange to hire (pay) an instructor. I assume most indoor ranges and gun stores with a range have such services available. Shooting a few (dozen) different guns will give you an idea of what you like. Size, weight, caliber, recoil, concealability, type of action, type of trigger, cost of practice ammo are all things you should consider before buying. Once you have selected something you want to work with, buy one. Renting a gun, and buying store ($$$) ammo will cost you more than just buying the gun outright. Plus, if/when you change your mind, you can sell your gun to recoup some the money you've spent. Once you can consistently put rounds where you want to put them, in a variety of situations, then you can consider carrying a gun in public.
    Lots of people will tell you to get this or that gun, primarily because that is what they carry, and they are convinced it is the best choice. It is... for them. When someone suggests you carry gun X, ask the next person giving you advice for a few reasons why you would NOT want to carry that gun. Keep that going. Gather information. If/when you can have an intelligent, informed conversation about the pros and cons of a wide range of carry guns, it will be time to start narrowing your choices. Good luck and happy shooting.
    Meh, we are in Indiana. Pop that gat in your waistband and hit the streets! lol Kidding. That is sound advice right there from Bassat.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Training (basic) which should include some basic info on Indiana law. At that point you should have a basis for what might suit you , but rent a few to see what you like. I think holster draw instruction is a good idea but that's entirely up to you. understand Range USA recently changed their policy on rentals. One rental fee used to cover as many as you wanted to try but you had to buy ammo from them. Now it's $20 for each separate rental.. Parabellum still allows you to try several for one rental fee and I think it's $15..

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Your first EDC should be something that fits your hand and that you'll actually carry every day. My first carry was a Glock 19 and after a while it became very tedious to carry a gun that size. Now I carry a Sig P365 which to me is the perfect balance between size, weight, and capability. Try holding or shooting multiple types and sizes of guns until you find one that works for you.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Training (basic) which should include some basic info on Indiana law. At that point you should have a basis for what might suit you , but rent a few to see what you like. I think holster draw instruction is a good idea but that's entirely up to you. understand Range USA recently changed their policy on rentals. One rental fee used to cover as many as you wanted to try but you had to buy ammo from them. Now it's $20 for each separate rental.. Parabellum still allows you to try several for one rental fee and I think it's $15..
    I assume that means Range USA is leaving the rental business, whether they want to or not. One gun and one box of ammo, maybe. I took my daughter to Kodiak. She (I) ended up renting 6 different guns for $25, plus 2 boxes of 9mm for about $30 each. Out of pocket $85. The same under Range USA would cost you $120 for the rental, and if 6 different calibers, $180 for ammo. If Range USA doesn't want the business, why not just get out of it?

dmc0

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Indianapolis
    Meh, we are in Indiana. Pop that gat in your waistband and hit the streets! lol Kidding. That is sound advice right there from Bassat.
    This is exactly why I came here! Thank you for your wisdom. I will say I’ve been predisposed to some very dangerous situations and I consider myself lucky to be here that’s why I was thinking about what to carry first. But with this info I’ll definitely take a more careful and finer approach in terms of planning and just getting familiar with all firearms in a general sense. Thank you and take care!

dmc0

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Indianapolis
    Yeah training was #1 on my list I was hoping to find a seller who is a pretty good person with some free time who would go to the range with me as I get familiar with everything. If not I am for sure gonna take some traditional classes!

dmc0

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Indianapolis
    It is a very personal thing. I believe that you don't pick the gun, the gun picks you. My first gun was a Glock 17. It was a little too big and bulky for CC. But I learned to carry it anyway. I wished I had tried out several others in the beginning. If I had, I wouldn't have gotten the Glock I'm sure. But I saw it a lot on TV and thought that this is how things should be. And to this day, its the only Glock I have ever owned.lol When I was teaching my kids to shoot. We went to a few gun stores and was honest upfront that we were not buying but trying to figure out what fit their hands the best. The sales people had a blast with the kids and kept complementing them on how well safety minded they were with handling different guns. Another option, some ranges have rental guns you can shoot to test out. They may also require you to buy their ammo to use. There may also be members on here that live close to you that might be willing to meet up at a range to try out some of their guns. Once again, they may ask you to buy the ammo. But ultimately you should try different guns to see how well they fit your hands and how well you can shoot them. weather accuracy or able to handle the recoil.
    Sounds like I’ll have to go through some trial and error regardless but I appreciate you taking the time to respond on giving me some much needed wisdom. Will surely be coming back to this down the road. Appreciate you and have a good one brother!

dmc0

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Indianapolis
    That is such a personal topic. You will have strong opinions about manufacturer, caliber, types of trigger ... etc.

My EDC is determined by my department so it is an Sig 365. You are in Indy so you should be able to rent some guns and maybe meet someone who will allow you to try different guns to find out what is best for you.
    Yeah that’s my plan I’m really looking to buy from a seller with the time and ability to maybe go to the range or just teach me a few things they have learned themselves. But appreciate your response, hope you have a blessed day!

dmc0

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Indianapolis
    Your first EDC should be something that fits your hand and that you'll actually carry every day. My first carry was a Glock 19 and after a while it became very tedious to carry a gun that size. Now I carry a Sig P365 which to me is the perfect balance between size, weight, and capability. Try holding or shooting multiple types and sizes of guns until you find one that works for you.
    Appreciate you responding first and foremost! But yeah I kind of tunnel vision on one firearm just checking every box. Thank you though I will for sure be trying some things out and weighing some options. Thank you and take care!

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Sounds like I’ll have to go through some trial and error regardless but I appreciate you taking the time to respond on giving me some much needed wisdom. Will surely be coming back to this down the road. Appreciate you and have a good one brother!
    Well with my experience, the Glock 17 was my first, than went to a Taurus 1911 that was just plain too heavy, Than I went to a Taurus Poly 357 that the recoil was just way too much (not enough gun to take the recoil). Than I discovered the Taurus pt111. That frame was made for my hand. light enough, and not a bad recoil to it. Than earlier this year it was replaced with the Taurus G3c. It's an updated pt111. Same everything, just updated. But I will say this. The only one I regret is the Poly, since I will only fire 38 +p's out of it.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I think it's interesting how different guns point better or worse for different people. One thing I like to pay attention to is when I pick it up/draw, does it sit in my hand properly, are the controls in the right spot, am I going to accidentally bump the safety/mag release/etc, and do I have to think to aim or does it hit where I want without too much thought? If I need the weapon I'm going to be amped up, shaking, possibly sweating, and I need it to work correctly and swiftly with no thought. Good luck in your endeavor and remember to enjoy the journey (safely of course)!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Pay attention to the "INGO Events" section.
    Sometimes there might be a M&S "Meet & Shoot" near you.
    Many members (not all) are okay with letting someone try out their gun... as long as that person is SAFE. You might bring ammo along, as ammo can get expensive.
    Personally, I don't mind spotting someone 10 to 15 rounds or so. But after that, I'd want them to be using their own ammo.

Or a M&E "Meet & Eat".
    This will be a good opportunity to meet INGOers.
    And maybe it will drum up excitement for a M&S.
    Or, maybe someone will meet with you later to go shooting.

As for training.. well there's LOTS of good trainers in Indiana.
    One good one that I recommend, but has NO SHOOTING, is "Essentials of Indiana Gun Law" by Tactical Firearms Training, by Guy Relford
    It may seem to be a waste of money to take a gun class that doesn't have shooting, but... how much does it cost if you need a lawyer because you F'd up and broke a law?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well I have the class for you !

We as in Revere Riders have a assortment of training. We are all volunteers and our price‘s are reasonable.

You can start with
    1. basic pistol
    2. Into to defensive pistol
    3. Defensive pistol

That would get up to speed safely with great training.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Yeah training was #1 on my list I was hoping to find a seller who is a pretty good person with some free time who would go to the range with me as I get familiar with everything. If not I am for sure gonna take some traditional classes!
    Not sure where in Indy you are but it's possible I could meet with you at Parabellum or RUSA in Greenwood to hopefully get you off on the right foot.. I would also suggest to you, or anyone else that spectating at the next EDC match at Parabellum would be a good idea. It would give you a visual of what other's are doing in the concealed carry world and what gear might work for you.

dmc0

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Indianapolis
    I think it's interesting how different guns point better or worse for different people. One thing I like to pay attention to is when I pick it up/draw, does it sit in my hand properly, are the controls in the right spot, am I going to accidentally bump the safety/mag release/etc, and do I have to think to aim or does it hit where I want without too much thought? If I need the weapon I'm going to be amped up, shaking, possibly sweating, and I need it to work correctly and swiftly with no thought. Good luck in your endeavor and remember to enjoy the journey (safely of course)!

Yeah those are some pretty good pointers I can assure you beginners like me don’t pay any mind to. But thank you so much for your time and adding some much needed points to my checklist. Hope you have a blessed day!

Top Bottom