• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    At some point in the next few months, I will likely be purchasing my first firearm (a handgun). Would you advise purchasing new or finding a good deal on a used one?

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I have a dislike for anything new. 99% of the guns I buy are used; not necessarily old, but used. I guess my vote would be to buy used.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Personal preference really.

My first handgun was a 1994 Springfield 1911A1 I bought off my cousins grandpa. I couldn't pass the deal he gave me. The gun shoots better than I can. Reliable as all be. It's been rebuilt by Springfield for free. It needs a new set of sights but that's nothing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Buying used will give you a cushion as you find what really fits you.
    Buying a gun is not an automatic fix all. You need to run it before you can love it.

Kind of like the Girl you "Had" to take to the Prom. She was drop dead gorgeous. Well, you got the date but once you came to know her, well, not really all that nice.
    Same with a gun. Looks fabulous. Then you buy it. Then you run it. Then you sell it because it just is not what you really want/need.

When you get close to buying there are many members here that would graciously allow you to run some of there guns if you show to be trustworthy and safe. Above all safe.
    I am one of those people. Ask.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Depends. I tend to get both, but learn what you are doing. If you're interested in revolvers, learn to function check a revolver here: Revolver Checkout by Jim March : Day At The Range

For certain pistols, like Sig, there are some specific checks and potential trouble areas to look at. Otherwise, just calculate in the cost of new recoil springs if round count is high or unknown, see how much life is left in night sights (if equipped) and evaluate from there. VERY few people shoot enough through a gun to wear it out, and there's a ton of flippers looking for the next new hotness that will make them a better shot. There's also ravens, like me, who are attracted to shiny things and buy stuff because its sooo pretty and occasionally sell off perfectly functional guns because...well, because shiny new thing.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    I suggest asking to shoot some guns you're looking at from members or friends, and if all else fails a lot of ranges have rental guns to try out. Always test a gun before you buy it, nothing worse than carrying a firearm you aren't comfortable with.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Buying a gun is not an automatic fix all. You need to run it before you can love it.

Kind of like the Girl you "Had" to take to the Prom. She was drop dead gorgeous. Well, you got the date but once you came to know her, well, not really all that nice.
    Same with a gun. Looks fabulous. Then you buy it. Then you run it. Then you sell it because it just is not what you really want/need.

When you get close to buying there are many members here that would graciously allow you to run some of there guns if you show to be trustworthy and safe. Above all safe.

:+1:

Same thing with holsters and such... Everyone is made differently, which is why there are so many firearm / holster options on the market.

Like CM said, just ask...

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    As long as you know what to look for, nothing wrong with buying used. If it looks like it's been drug behind a truck, stay away.
    Most people don't shoot a gun enough to hurt it. I've bought a couple of used guns, after some cleaning, you could mistake them for new.

If the quest for used is simply to save some money, be careful. Lots of the most popular guns can be had new for roughly the same price as a used gun. Or just a little more.

Most used police guns have been shot very little, so that's always an option.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The advice above is good. Guns (particularly quality ones) will last a lifetime. Used guns *can* be a good deal, but you need to be able to evaluate function and understand current new prices. As noted above, some try to sell used at/above new prices and auctions frequently go crazy.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Keep in mind that many manufacturers will not warranty a used gun. I had a problem with a Shield and Smith and Wesson told me that since it was used (silly me for telling them) it was not covered under their warranty.

That at said I buy mostly used. Like BBI said, most people don't shoot their guns enough to significantly wear them. I bought a Glock before that still had the copper grease from the factory and looked like it had never been fired. There are deals out there. If you are only saving $20 or $30 by buying used, it just doesn't make sense to me though.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    New you know how it's been treated. Used and it's a bit of a dark area. But as was previously said buying used isn't all that bad since most people don't shoot their guns to wear them significantly. Find something that you like and if you can find it new then great. If you can only find it used don't let it stop you.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If you can find what you want from a seller asking a a reasonable price, then used is the way to go. Lots of people buy guns and keep them in their safes. So you can often find some really nice ones that have been fired 50 or 100 times and that's it. Often you can get something almost new for 25-30% below retail and also save on sales taxes. Some disadvantages are that some buyers don't keep the original boxes and papers which I like to have but it's not often a deal breaker.

I've bought and sold quite a few things on INGO and my experience has been universally positive. You also get to put some faces with the names.

If you have to have a certain model, especially a newly introduced one, then new retail is probably the only place you'll find it. But it pays to be at the "trailing-edge" of technology at times.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Smith and Wesson may not warranty a used gun but Springfield Armory rebuilding a 20 year old 1911 on their dime has made me a lifetime customer. SA stands behind their lifetime warranty.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    either is a great choice...it's all about condition of the weapon. I have a 1976 S&W Model 66 that my father handed down to me, that I would trust far more than many new weapons out there (and I will say it, Kimbers, due to their "break in" period). What i would concentrate on first though, is finding the weapon that you feel the most COMFORTABLE with and most CONFIDENT in. And you may not get it right the first time.

Now, if you ever find that gun that feels PERFECT in your hand, that you just can't seem to miss with, buy it, and never look back. It doesn't happen all that often.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

^^^^well said^^^^ I too will let you try mine out, provided I grow to trust you. Just ask.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You stand a good chance at saving money if you buy used, but as others have said, make sure you enter the deal informed. Know what you are buying and know how to function check it. Buying new does not necessarily make for a safe deal. If you buy new, do so from a reputable dealer. Don't be afraid to dicker a bit on a new gun. Most shops will work with you unless it's something rare or in high demand.

If you can, try to rent the type of gun you want to buy first to see if it works for you. We are lucky right now in that there are a lot of quality guns available for a decent price, so you should be able to find what fits you. If you buy used, be careful. There are lots of good buys out there, but there are some that will sell a gun that they've had issues with just to pass the pain on to others. If it's a main stream gun, such as a Springer 1911, Glock or similar, the chances are much less. If it's an off brand like an RIA, Tisa or something that has mixed reviews, beware. Many work fine, but once in a while there's a lemon and you don't want your first handgun to be a bad experience.

Just don't do a deal based on any assumptions. Ask and know, don't assume anything.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Personally, I'll buy either to get what I want...but the biggest issue in buying used is knowing what to look for in a particular brand / model / caliber. In modern firearms (Glock, Kahr, Beretta, Ruger, S&W, etc.) buying used is 'typically' not that big of a deal...just look for wear and beware one that rattles (ha ha).

Since it's your first handgun, I would recommend new or have someone go with you who knows what to look for in a pistol who can help you choose wisely.

Biggest thing...know what you want the handgun for...hunting...target practice...home/personal defense...etc.

If you're considering between a 9mm and a .40 caliber...keep in mind that many 9mm rounds will equal or exceed some .40 caliber rounds so don't let the caliber differences fool you...and 9mm is almost always less expensive, especially in target ammo varieties. (I used to be 'against' 9mm as a personal defense caliber...but lately have carried it so the wife and I can CC the same magazines and caliber.)

Don't rule out a revolver for a first handgun...I'm a revolver guy by nature...I just carry semi-auto's for convenience!

Good luck!

Top Bottom