• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Here goes my broken record again. Try the feel of a Sig. You ought to be able to get a 226, 229, or 2022 for somewhere in the 400.00-600.00 range used, and they are second to none in quality. Those old P6s someone mentioned are the BOMB to shoot. Awesome accuracy, very little muzzle flip, slim grip due to being a single stack, and a great sig trigger. Those can be had in the 350.00-400.00 range any day of the week. The poster who mentioned getting a .22 so you can put hundreds of rounds downrange cheap had a point, too. .22 is still pretty cheap compared to any of the centerfire calibers, and just as much fun to shoot.

And welcome to the forum!

1911fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Go with a .45 why throw a rock when you can throw a brick, But if you stay with the 9mm I like my beretta 92fs I dont carry it cuz I carry a 1911 .45 but it is a great gun to shoot and very accurate

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    Welcome. After alot of research I draw the line on 2 gun.

Sig P226 - AWESOME gun. Alittle pricey around $550.00 for a GOOD used one, but if you ever want to sell it you'll make your money back and then some. Great gun to shoot and VERY smooth.

Beretta 92FS. Once more a AWESOME gun (I current own and carry). Becareful on any aftermarket items though. It's best to stay with the factory items on this gun (ie mags and such), which can get pricey if your not lucky enough to want on the GOOD deal (they come through alittle slow at times). Also you can get this gun for around $450.00 - $600.00 depending on items on the gun.

Once you decide on the gun you want, if you can not find it here on the for sale posting, then post a WTB (Want To Buy) for the gun. That's how I found my gun Beretta 92FS and Love It.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Welcome fellow Boiler. I have an XD Springfield 9mm for sale right now on the forum for $400 cash and will drive to deliver and offer you a money back guarantee. If you don't like it I'll buy it back within 30 days for the same price.

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    A used Glock 9mm would be a fine gun. I prefer SIG Sauer pistols personally, but they will cost you more. A used SIG Classic pistol will likely cost more than a new Glock. A used Glock can be had at good prices all day long. If CC is not a factor, you might want to look at the G17. A G19 just might be the perfect blend of "big enough to handle like a big gun and small enough to conceal easily." A G26 is very concealable, but shoots like a small gun (which is exactly what it is).

The new SIG P250 is a great concept that you may want to look at. It can convert to different sizes and calibers with conversion kits.

The ruger pistols are good shooters, but d*** ugly in my opinion. However, I would feel confident that it would go bang when I wanted it to. They are also very modestly prices.

The Taurus 92 is a neat gun. Handles just like a Beretta, but has a better safety/decocking lever than the Beretta design in my opinion.

Don't overlook a CZ75. This is a GREAT gun. They can be had used at good prices if you look around.

I've had a S&W sigma before. I've heard some people talk crap about them, but mine was a great shooter. Never had a single problem with it.

My list would look like this (in this order):

1. SIG P226 (if $$$ allows)
    2. Glock 19
    3: CZ75
    4. SIG 250
    5. Glock 17
    6. S&W M&P (if $$$ allows - they can be found used from time to time)
    7. S&W Sigma
    8. Taurus 92
    9. Ruger (P89, P93, P95, it doesn't matter - they all look the same anyway)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    you are going to be bombarded of course with several different makes & brands .My suggestion would be make list of pistols that has been suggested& go to any gunshop and see which one feels right in your hand .Even go as far as trying on a holster to see how that feels as well.All the suggestions thus far from all the members are good ones

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    On guns listed above, how many rounds could I shoot before having problems(200 boxes of 50)?

200 boxes of 50 = 10,000 rounds. All of the guns listes will do that, plus lots more. You may need to replace recoil springs and guides along the way. Cheap and easy. I replace mine every 5,000 rounds or so, but that's as much because it makes me feel better as anything. I don't know that you have to replace them that often.

edit: except maybe the Hi-point... I don't know how many they are good for. They are particularly made for hi volume shooting, I don't think.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Stoeger Cougar would be a great choice.

Forgot about that one. That'd be a great choice!!! Built in Turkey, on Beretta machinery, by Beretta employees, by a Beretta subsidary. A Beretta in all but name, for half the price. These are smooth, accurate guns, very well built, absolutely worth heavy consideration.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Glock 19 will not do SA, but a taraus 92 or 99 will. copy of a beretta 92 made on machines beretta sold to taraus. you can find them used for around 400 or lower. nice sturdy gun and plenty accurate. 15+1 is good for capiacity and I have never have a single malfunction with the two I have owned for 15 years.

I love my PT92. I think it is a great all around compromise of moderate entry cost, good reliability, great accuracy, and good capacity.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    For my money, impossible to beat the Bersa line of pistols for the money.
    Reliable, will hold up well, and won't take all of your bank account to buy
    one. They don't make a bummer in their entire line.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a pair of Bersa 9mms, one the UC (13 rounds) and the other is a HC (17 rounds) and love them both. Each set me back about $350 brand new and they have both been extremely reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. They are DA/SA and have a manual safety, similar in function to the manual safety on my 1911s. They also carry a lifetime warranty and have a strong following from the folks that own them.

There are lots of great choices in 9mm in the sub $500 price range and these pistols stand up very well when compared to others.

picture.php

Last edited:

PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    Thanks again for the help. I will be compliling a list and going to some gun stores. I will provide feed back before I buy. But I keep having all these question come up. I hope you guys don't mind. Does barrel length really effect accuracy that much. Like the bersa above and sigs seem to have small barrels. How far from a target should you be able to consistantly hit center mass?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A longer barrel will affect how well you can shoot the gun. The longer sight radius lets you detect smaller aiming errors, and the heavier barrel can help steady the gun. Small guns are flat out harder to shoot well, often not as fun to shoot, and demand more practice.

As for how far do you need to be able to shoot? Most self defense shootings will take place inside 7 yards. But not all of them. Look at your house, and where you hang out. What is the longest range that you might need to take a shot? You want to be able to shoot past a family member need be at that range, and a little further. Get good at 5 yards, move to 7, then 10, the 15, then 25.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    you asked about the sig p250. go to sigarms.com click on the 250. 4 different calibers, 3 grips etc for a first gun i dont thiink you can beat it. i have a p228 and love it......daryll

Top Bottom