• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I won't pretend to understand your choice, it seems strange to me, too. I tend to carry wherever I may lawfully do so.

Yes. I see what you are saying. I wore a long winter coat when out and about, so I am not really sure how I could have easily "open" carried. My pistol would have been hidden under my coat, and therefore, illegally concealed.

Robertpetry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    So,

if I'm driving through OH do I need to secure a handgun in the trunk? What if I am staying in a hotel in OH? What should I do with it? Do I need to take the gun into the hotel where I am staying?

Same rules in IL?

thanks.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    For some reason I thought a month ago things with West Virginia did change? What did I miss or mess up?

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    So,

if I'm driving through OH do I need to secure a handgun in the trunk? What if I am staying in a hotel in OH? What should I do with it? Do I need to take the gun into the hotel where I am staying?

Same rules in IL?

thanks.

For Ohio I believe anyone can open carry. You must have a recognized permission slip to conceal though. Carrying in your car is considered concealed in Ohio (the car is the concealment). So you should keep it in your trunk and unloaded. Every time you get out of your car you pop open your trunk, load a mag with ammo, put the mag in your handgun, and put the handgun on your hip in full sight. (IANAL)

I do believe as others have said that Ohio is in the process of possibly accepting ours. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've read that they have legislation going though the process right now that would make them a constitutional carry state.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    So after checking this map and also the Florida Permit Map - I see with my Florida Non-Resident License, I can add Ohio (which is why I pursued it), WV, NE, NM and DE (although I thought Biden's home state was only going to allow concealed carry of shotguns!) :)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah I probably would not carry a gun in DE.

Scratch that I probably will not ever go to DE.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You are likely remembering the fiasco wherein I called the WV Attorney General's Office and was told that they recognized us, but I was told wrong. I'm still *displeased* about that. You may take the word "displeased" with extreme understatement.

Blessings,
    Bill

For some reason I thought a month ago things with West Virginia did change? What did I miss or mess up?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've just sent the following to Gov. Pence from his webpage ( in.gov/gov )

Dear Gov. Pence,

I recently wrote you and received an answer that you support Second Amendment rights for all. I am appreciative of you doing so, and thank you.

I have become aware that the state of West Virginia is willing to recognize our License To Carry Handgun within their state, but they require a letter from you stating (redundantly) that we will recognize their Concealed Handgun License in Indiana. (They already have confirmation that we recognize them, but they require that a statement come from you, the governor.)

Would you please send a letter to that effect to the West Virginia Attorney General's office?

I've included a link for your reference that specifies they need a letter from the other state's governor (page 3 of the booklet, page 6 of the PDF) here:
    http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/gunrecep/WV Firearms Handbook (July 2013 - Final Draft).pdf

and the address to which the letter should be sent is:

Office of the Attorney General
    State Capitol Complex
    1900 Kanawha Blvd, East
    Building 1, Room E-26
    Charleston, WV 25305

Thank you in advance for your assistance in expanding the ability of Hoosiers to exercise our natural and Constitutional rights. The addition of WV will make 31 of 50 states in which we may lawfully carry a handgun.

Most sincerely,

(name and city redacted)

The rest of you are free to use whatever portions of my note may be helpful. I ask that you not quote it in full, because the letter should be yours, not mine. I also ask that you let me know if you use a portion of my note, and I'd like to see what you sent, if you wouldn't mind.

Blessings,
    Bill

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Here's the link to his email contact form: Governor Pence: Ask Mike

Here's what I wrote:

Dear Governor Pence,
    It is my understanding that the state of West Virginia will allow licensed Indiana residents to carry handguns in their state upon receipt of confirmation from you that we recognize their license (reciprocity).
    Given that we recognize licenses/permits from all states, the only action necessary to allow Indiana license holders to protect themselves in West Virginia is confirmation from you.
    Here is a link to the state AG pdf that describes the action needed: http://www.wvago.gov/pdf/gunrecep/WV Firearms Handbook (July 2013 - Final Draft).pdf
    Page 3 of the booklet is the relevant section.
    I hope you can take a few minutes of your time to see to this important issue for Indiana gun owners.
    Regards,

If we all take 3 minutes to ask, we can probably get this done.

Thanks for the impetus, Bill.

Top Bottom