• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I was at the GM at Castleton in Indy yesterday and saw a newly manufactured Winchester 30-30 lever action rifle. I asked to look at it and I saw it was made in Japan? It felt and looked solid and to be quite honest beautiful.. Has anyone had a dealing with these Japan made Winchesters good or bad? Just curious. Thanks.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Japs make a good rifle. Brownings have been made there for years, same with winchester. Theyre solid, might not be made in merica like people want but solid

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Japanese have been making Winchester rifles for years. I have a Japanese made 1895 made in 2005 and it has been a great shooter. Shame that they are imported but at least the quality would make the old man happy.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I looked over the 1873 remakes at the NRAAM...and it was a beautiful rifle and worked very smoothly. Very nice...sad they're imported, but as someone said...it would make the original folks proud that started the company all those years ago.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Japan's quality of manufacture across most of their products, be it firearms, electronics or even cars has come a long way in the last 40 years or so. I remember when "Made in Japan" = "Junk". That's not the case anymore. While ideally I would love to see less imports and more American manufacturing, what Japan has done has probably had a net beneficial effect on us as consumers. I think American car manufacturers in particular had become complacent and quality had dropped off by the 1980's. With the competition from Japan, they have had to step up their game. Sadly, even most "American" cars are at least partially manufactured overseas (GM and Chrysler in Mexico, Europe and even Japan, Ford in Canada, etc.).

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm sure they are a good rifle, however I have a hangup purchasing any imported product when an American built product is available. I have looked at the Henry rifles, in my opinion they are as well built firearms as any in the world today. They are 100% American built so when /if I buy another rifle it will definitely be a Henry!

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    The Miroku Winchesters ain't cheap but they are beautiful good shooting rifles, I love mine.

If memory serves, the New Haven Winchesters were foreign owned for some time before closing.

My buddy is a buy American guy, he and his wife both drive Chrysler products, HMMMMM

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    *RANT*
    People need to realize that the direction this country has been going in past decades has caused this to happen. Made in America now adays either means JUNK, or expensive. The products that are made here and are offered at a decent price and are of decent quality are not MADE here. People fall for the different legal definitions of "Made in America" "Made in the USA" "American Made" and "Assembled in America" I think there are actually a couple more legal definitions as well, all of them, by law, require only a certain amount of components to be "of domestic origin", which has to have a legal definition as well, to stop people from sneaking their way around it, in order to raise profit margin.

We cant make things anymore, at least not like we did. Combination of our self righteous citizens who all think they deserve the best, because people making profit from their "betterment" tell them they do. We have a majority of people under the age of 40 who have no work ethic, and NOONE under the age of 30 does. The future will only be worse in this regard. Add to it the federal regulations of labor and air/water quality standards and of course the fact that our money means nothing anymore, and its no wonder we cannot compete in the manufacturing field, in a world economy.

If that Winchester rifle was made stateside, they wouldn't cost $1400, they would be more like $3500, and they wouldn't sell as many, hence they're made in Japan.
    *RANT OFF*

Welcome to the corporate world of global supply chain logistics. Im just gonna go vomit in the corner now.

Last edited:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I was at the GM at Castleton in Indy yesterday and saw a newly manufactured Winchester 30-30 lever action rifle. I asked to look at it and I saw it was made in Japan? It felt and looked solid and to be quite honest beautiful.. Has anyone had a dealing with these Japan made Winchesters good or bad? Just curious. Thanks.

They make excellent firearms, they have made Brownings for decades.

ole hombre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    I don't doubt the quality of products based on their location of manufacture, some are good, some not so good, whether foreign or domestic. However, I do want to buy American made as much as possible to support our economy.
    I let others do as they wish--no problem.
    My carry Kahr is light, accurate, dependable and easy to handle and my Henry 44 mag Big boy is simply the finest looking and functioning firearm in my collection. Love my old Savage model 24 as well.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I want to buy American made everything, but Japanese have a great work ethic and take extreme pride in everything they do. Every position on a manufacturing line is staffed with individuals who have tremendous personal work ethic and pride.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I want to buy American made everything, but Japanese have a great work ethic and take extreme pride in everything they do. Every position on a manufacturing line is staffed with individuals who have tremendous personal work ethic and pride.

I have seen Japanese manufacturing first-hand in Japan, and I can agree.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would rather have something japanese produced than American produced.

The "made on a friday" saying won't apply to anything made in japan.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Quality is quality, Japs use great glass (Trijicon Accupoint, Nightforce, Vortex, and I think the Leupold VX6 uses Jap glass), and the quality of firearms is nice.

If I needed a lever action and had to choose between a Marlin (especially now Marlin) or a new Winchester, it would be hard not to laugh at the Marlin "quality" for an American made firearm and I'd buy the Winchester

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Yes they have such a good work ethic that they put crap in dog and cat food that killed the dogs and cats that ate it. They are the same as us. Some are hard workers and some are not. The latest thing I heard was them screwing up honey. It seems that they force it through a filter after adding a bunch of stuff to it then you can't tell it from real honey. There is no reason to filter honey in less you are trying to hide what you are putting in it.

So I guess that all the people posting here about how great Japan is and that the US worker is trash includes you too? I assume none of you have a good work ethic either. I get so tired of hearing this crap. It is the people running big business that have made the decision to move jobs out of the US. They were the ones who decided it was more profitable to sell out the work force than keep making things here.

One of the latest things is to bring Indians here and pay them $45,000 a year for a job that an American was being paid $60,000 a year or better. The Co gets to save 15,000 to 20,000 a year per person and gets to screw over an American worker.

Things like that and many others that big business has set up is what is hurting America. Selling loans to Co that were not worth the paper they were printed on is what hurts America not the worker.

I have seen American manufacturing and it is some of the best in the world when we are allowed to do it.

There was a time if you wanted something made you brought it to Cincinnati and one of the machine shops could turn it into a product for you. Now days most of them are shut down.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    ...So I guess that all the people posting here about how great Japan is and that the US worker is trash includes you too? I assume none of you have a good work ethic either. I get so tired of hearing this crap.

I didn't trash the American work-ethic; simply praised the overall Japanese work-ethic, and you're entitled to your opinion as well. You can read into it what you will and that's fine, but that's how I feel about it. We can learn a lot by looking outside the box. If you're tired of hearing about it, there are other threads.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes they have such a good work ethic that they put crap in dog and cat food that killed the dogs and cats that ate it.

I think you're thinking of China. :dunno: I've not heard of anything like that coming out of Japan. China, yes definitely. Tainted baby food, lead paint on toys, etc..

Top Bottom