• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Now that the thread has managed to get completely off track (some of the manufacturers have started referring to magazines as "clips" so you're :horse:) maybe I can return it to the rails:)
    I do have some experience around ranges and as you can see you are going to have someone upset no matter what rules you decide on. Personally I think you stress the 4 basic safety rules and do what you think is best for your business model. Your buddy is the guy with the $$$$$$ on the line so aside from the obvious 4 basic safety rules, he makes the rules that he thinks will get him a return on his $$ and keep his patrons safe. Different people with different skill levels may be capable of operating under slightly different rules but you can't sort out the pros from the completely uneducated at the door, and the uneducated tend to get testy when you point out their lack of knowledge. In the immortal words of Ricky Nelson " you can't please everyone to you have to please yourself".

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    NHT3: Thank you. I agree, and I don't think that it could have been said better. He has millions invested in this establishment, and several years of darn hard work. I'm not sure that I could have done it, even if I was his age, and not an old fart.

I was surprised yesterday when he told me that rifle ammo had to be purchased at the range, even though inexpensive would be available. Then I got to thinking about how much each one of the range stations cost . . . I would not want AP, etc. zinging down if it were mine. True, the ammo can be tested, to a degree, but he is going to have all brand new employees. Train them sure, but you don't know just how well they are going to do their job at the get go. Also, I don't know a way to check incendiary, and tracers . . . There is already one range in town that has burnt down!

No, you are right, not everyone will be pleased, BUT it is worth the effort to make it as safe, fair, and enjoyable as possible.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Speaking of burning down... hopefully he has some type of suppression system installed in that range. Whether its a deluge system, water mist or chemical. A properly installed system could have prevented much of the damage at BGF, as well as other various ranges across the country that have suffered the exact same fate. Not picking on them by any means, as that outcome seems far fetched, but it does happen. And a suppression system could have made the range down for only a couple weeks at most as that small part of the building was restored.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Not sure what he has planned for a backstop but from what I've been told the all metal backstop it not that much more expensive that the type that BG had so I don't know why you would even consider the rubber tire setup. It may cut down on the dust a little but with the all metal you can harvest lead every day. Backstop at Parabellum seems to have weathered the storm very well from what I can see.
    I believe being forced to buy rifle ammo at the range could very well turn it into a pistol only range and I'm not sure it would support the investment if that was the case.. I would think long and hard about that.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

Top Bottom