• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    OK... I have heard that since you change modes with "half-clicks" of the button you sometimes change modes when turning the light on and off. Any experience with that?

Never had that happen yet. Always turns on to whatever mode (normal or turbo) you had selected when you last used it.

The only 2 features I would like changed would be;
    1. Switch between modes by button/switch and not by turning the bezel (awkward & slow).
    2. Rubberized barrel (hard to get a good hold with it's small size).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Never had that happen yet. Always turns on to whatever mode (normal or turbo) you had selected when you last used it.

The only 2 features I would like changed would be;
    1. Switch between modes by button/switch and not by turning the bezel (awkward & slow).
    2. Rubberized barrel (hard to get a good hold with it's small size).

That would be cool, but (until someone makes a better switch) you will sacrifice the "momentary on" utility. If you're using it for defensive purposes, you need that.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That's an easy answer. They have never had their tails on the line with substandard gear made by the lowest bidder. ;)
    Are you implying that Fenix, and other similar lights are substandard?

Have you ever used them? If not, I don't think you have the credibility to say they're substandard.

I think Fenix and other lights are just as good of quality as surefire, but you get twice the light at half the price. Surefire just keeps their prices high because they gained the monopoly on the light market before there was any real competition like there is today. Now that there are comparable lights for a lot less money they're automatically substandard? Or is surefire just over-priced?

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I own a Surefire 6P and just ordered a Fenix TA21 and a 12-pack of CR123 batteries. I'm just waiting on it to arrive.

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My biggest problem with Surefire is that they are so far behind the curve in terms of LED emitter technology. Yeah, their products are well made and rugged, but they just won't do what some of the other brands will do even if the price is not a consideration. Why they continue to lag behind baffles me. Perhaps they don't feel they need to be competitive in terms of performance as long as they have market penetration?

Did I mention that my Olight M21 Warrior with the Luminus SST-50 emitter will do 500 lumens for 1.2 hours using two CR123A batteries? Yeah, that's five hundred lumens, not 50 or 100 or even 200 with a typo. It also has two lower settings to extend battery life plus a strobe.

Hey Joe, how are you?

That sounds like a great light. Any reliability issues?

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I own a Surefire 6P and just ordered a Fenix TA21 and a 12-pack of CR123 batteries. I'm just waiting on it to arrive.

Well, I got it yesterday. Slapped some batteries in it and waited on nighttime to arrive. I took it out back and commenced to playing around with it, and I have to say, first impression was that it looks bad-***, is well made, but the performance doesn't give me the $87.50 worth I thought it would. It is not much brighter than the Element K2 lights I bought from Sams Club for $30.00

I'll keep it, as I like flashlights, but I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it again.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have a PD30 on the way as well. I'll likely mount the E2D with it's rather unnecessary stabby bits on my rifle.

I'll also be modifying the PD30 so the tailcap isn't clicky. I HATE clicky tailcaps.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Are you implying that Fenix, and other similar lights are substandard?

My quote you are taking out of context. It was an answer to Tyler34's question. I copied it for you to review. No where did I question any manufacturers of equipment.

this is turning into the knife forum:rolleyes::D but seriously I just don't get why guys with uber guns won't shell out a few extra bucks for good gear other than their guns.:dunno:

Have you ever used them? If not, I don't think you have the credibility to say they're substandard.

I think Fenix and other lights are just as good of quality as surefire, but you get twice the light at half the price. Surefire just keeps their prices high because they gained the monopoly on the light market before there was any real competition like there is today. Now that there are comparable lights for a lot less money they're automatically substandard? Or is surefire just over-priced?

Yes I have used Fenix lights. Great lights. Just overly sophisticated for my type of employment. I prefer SureFires because they are so simple, and dependable. My tail is on the line probally 90% of the time when I pull a flashlight out to use. So I like to keep them simple. I have tested both the Fenix light and the Gladius light systems. Great lights till I hit the *ss end of nowhere. I can not maintain such a light through the amount of abuse it gets daily here on combat missions. That is my only drawback to them. On the other hand both companies had great customer service, An email out to them with a description of the malfunctions and immediate results. Few things are soldier proof. That is why I believe in the Acronym KISS Keep It Simple Stupid...

So yeah maybe SureFires are over priced, but you know what my life IS on the line with the equipment that I use... So i'll pony up and keep paying good money for dependable kit everytime.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I own a Surefire G2, it was my first "good" flashlight. I think the G2L is, at the price, one of the best options for an entry level, nearly impossible to destroy flashlight you could easily carry onto an airplane. Also, by the time you replace the batteries in your G2L the first time, you paid the difference in price over the G2. (1hr vs 10hr @ $2 per battery change)

I purchased the E2D in part because I really wanted another good flashlight. TSG had something I was interested in at a price I was willing to pay. Is it the perfect light? Nope. And I won't even attempt to take it through Airport Security.

I've played with BWFrame's Fenix light. And with the modification he did to the tail-switch eliminating the "clicky" bit I think he's on to something. Which explains my purchase of the PD30. It also, like my E2D, has a pocket clip which is my #1 complaint about the G2.

In fact, If Surefire offered a G2/G2L with a pocket clip. Or someone manufactured and sold an aftermarket pocket clip for the G2 series of lights. I'd be super happy. :)

StrayDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    South West
    Got my new Fenix the other day and I absolutely love it. I have to say that it puts my Olight away. Fenix PD30 R4 is top quality..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've played with BWFrame's Fenix light. And with the modification he did to the tail-switch eliminating the "clicky" bit I think he's on to something.

I've seen his Fenix as well, and agree that he's onto something. Now we'll all have to get Fenix lights and send them for the "Burl upgrade". :yesway:

danglearms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Mooresville,IN
    streamlight

i have a streamlight that has a built in laser dot. it mounts on the lower rail of glocks & hk's. it has constant on & flash lever, depending what you want. also three settings, light only, laser only & both together. nice light & cheaper that the integrated laser inside to glock

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen his Fenix as well, and agree that he's onto something. Now we'll all have to get Fenix lights and send them for the "Burl upgrade". :yesway:

Burl is an erudite and perceptive individual.

That in mind, if you choose to mount your Fenix on your rifle, I recommend that you keep the clicky even if you hate the clicky. If you don't have use of both hands, but you still need your light to be "on," it could save you some problems.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

That in mind, if you choose to mount your Fenix on your rifle, I recommend that you keep the clicky even if you hate the clicky. If you don't have use of both hands, but you still need your light to be "on," it could save you some problems.

I chose this route, I've got a Fenix on mine DD gun... and it's a CLICKY! woohoo! I ALMOST put the remote mount but didn't want to place something somewhere that might break at sometime where it would need to removed again at some point. :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

And I would highly recommend against this. Having a light on permanetly in combat is a good way to meet your maker... ;)

It's all situational and how you are trained and continue to train. I can shoot as well at night with my iron sights as some can with their glow in the dark sights. I do mount an M900 on my M-4 though. Cause once in a while having a can of sunlight is nice... :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've played with BWFrame's Fenix light. And with the modification he did to the tail-switch eliminating the "clicky" bit I think he's on to something. Which explains my purchase of the PD30.
    So this elimination of "clicky bit"; did he disable the "stay on" mode. Or did he just take the "clicker" out so that you don't have to push the button so hard?

I'm curious. I use my light far too often in situations where I need both hands so I wouldn't disable the continuous on part, but it sounds interesting.

Top Bottom