• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    for the money they charge for lights you should get like a free trip somewhere given the amount you pay for the features you get.

Honestly, although Surefire makes excellent lights, they are going to quickly price themselves out of the market if they're not careful. There is a LOT of competition these days, and some of it is pretty impressive, for a lot less $$.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Honestly, although Surefire makes excellent lights, they are going to quickly price themselves out of the market if they're not careful. There is a LOT of competition these days, and some of it is pretty impressive, for a lot less $$.

never said they make crappy lights, they make good lights (if were talking early 90's technology) but your completely right(wait did I just say that, I feel so dirty:D)the gap between what you pay and what you get is too wide and many, many, more great companies have come in to fill that gap with cutting edge technology in smaller and cheaper lights that out perform surefire and for many time a third of the price. surefire is big because they took the torch from maglite and got into the LEO and military contracts, so they will survive but why any rational person would pay twice as much money as they should for half the product is beyond me. but then again I pay many hundreds of $$$ on little pieces of metal so...........:D

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Hands down the best flashlight I have owned is the Surefire Ultra U2.
    Variable brightness 2 to 100 lumens (six stages). Has a "digital brain" that ensures the optimum output of available power. On the 2 lumens setting it can last up to 175 hours. But when needed none of my friends can handle the full 100 to the face.
    U2 Ultra™ White LED Flashlight from SureFire

Just my :twocents:

StrayDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    South West
    I absolutely love my Olight T20. I thought I would never own another brand. I am very interested in the Fenix lights I've seen on here though. I think I'm going to have to give one a try..

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I wanted a tactical partner for my handgun not just a flashlight (turbo mode and disorienting strobe). I looked at several including the Surefire U2 ultra but its incredibly high pricetag for a 100 lumens flashlight was outrageous IMO. For a third of the cost, I got a tactical light w/over twice the max lumens, 6 settings, wonderful strobe, SOS, compact size, great quality, etc.. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Surefire aren't great flashlights but I agree some of today's competitors offer more bang for the buck when it comes to performance, features and equal quality.

RD3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Surefire E2D defender. Blind them and then hit them in their blinded face with the serrated edge around the lens. I got one for myself and just gave my wife one for Christmas.
    fantastic lights 120 lumens

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    If you were to buy one as a civilian, would you pay Surefire's asking price?

That's a great question. IMHO it's a great flashlight especially the way it handles the power. I have used it Boonie stomping in Guam and everyone with me was jealous. I could stick down in the water to look under a rock if I needed. But after reading some of the post's here, I would really have to do some research on some of the others. I think it's worth it, but not sure I would pay 250 for it, especially right before Christmas.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That's a great question. IMHO it's a great flashlight especially the way it handles the power. I have used it Boonie stomping in Guam and everyone with me was jealous. I could stick down in the water to look under a rock if I needed. But after reading some of the post's here, I would really have to do some research on some of the others. I think it's worth it, but not sure I would pay 250 for it, especially right before Christmas.

I appreciate the perspective. Thanks! :yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My biggest problem with Surefire is that they are so far behind the curve in terms of LED emitter technology. Yeah, their products are well made and rugged, but they just won't do what some of the other brands will do even if the price is not a consideration. Why they continue to lag behind baffles me. Perhaps they don't feel they need to be competitive in terms of performance as long as they have market penetration?

Did I mention that my Olight M21 Warrior with the Luminus SST-50 emitter will do 500 lumens for 1.2 hours using two CR123A batteries? Yeah, that's five hundred lumens, not 50 or 100 or even 200 with a typo. It also has two lower settings to extend battery life plus a strobe.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    a strobe is a feature everyone looking for a GOOD light that they will obviously use for SD along with EDC should have, you guys that don't have one or haven't seen one really won't understand until you have one. a bright light is ok for "stunning" or whatever you want to call it to an attacker but the strobe is far more effective at actually disorienting them. plus its like a pocket rave on the go.

StrayDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    South West
    Just bought a Fenix PD30 (R4) based on Fenix reviews on here. They seem to have a really great product and I'm excited to try it out. Wasn't terribly expensive @ $69 and free shipping. We will see how it goes...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just bought a Fenix PD30 (R4) based on Fenix reviews on here. They seem to have a really great product and I'm excited to try it out. Wasn't terribly expensive @ $69 and free shipping. We will see how it goes...

At the risk of spending more $$ before the Holidays, I gotta ask. . . where?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    You will love the PD30. I can't even look at the strobe when pointed into the palm of my hand without getting dizzy and my wife absolutely hates it, so I guess it really is effective.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    IMHO, Surefire are way overpriced. They are good quality lights, but way overbuilt for anything that the home user is going to put them through. My fenix has been through a lot, and its still just like the day I bought it (other than scrapes and scratches).

Surefires are expensive for the home user. However out here where my life may depend on the light in my kit. Surefires are pretty cheap. I have tried several brands over the years. Surefires are the only ones that have repeatedly stood up to being soldier proof. :D

Spend good money on what your life may depend on!

Top Bottom