• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I read that in the manual and tried it but still no dice. One thing I also realized is that the TCI version comes with what they call an "upgraded battery compartment and battery cap". It has a little spike for where I think a retention clip should go. Even if I force the headband in an effort to collapse it, it can't pass this spike on the battery cover.

2gxe91v.jpg

A few moments with the grinder and I can take care of that! :D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ah, you must be an engineer or work around them.

The Engineer's Creed:

-- Cut to shape.
    -- Pound to fit.
    -- Paint to match!

I'm an engineer in my head, although my resume doesn't reflect as such.

There are two types of engineers:

1) those engineers with common sense
    2) those without

I've worked with engineers that really make you scratch your head and go "whaaa...?"

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have this exact pair of earpro and replaced a pair of HL's that went TU. They are on par the HL's in size. Personally I feel I can get a better cheek weld with an AR with these, I believe due to the "give" of the gel inserts. HL's would occasionally break the seal around my strong side ear making for loud bangs on occasion. I have a rather large melon, that may also help ;-)

ProX's on L, HL's on R
    picture.php

picture.php
    Could you expand on this post? Without abbreviations? So the TCI give a bad cheekweld?

I like the neckband

Why? Does it help when wearing hats?

Yes.

5-year.

Do these allow the use of eye pro under the gel inserts? How are these when using a rifle? More importantly do they ever get in the way when shooting in improvised positions?

I ask because I'm FINALLY taking a class in Oct. so I need a good set of ear pro so I don't force the instructor to yell.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Could you expand on this post? Without abbreviations? So the TCI give a bad cheekweld?

He's saying that he likes that the gel earseals of the TCIs have some "give" in them, making for a better cheekweld.

Do these allow the use of eye pro under the gel inserts?

Yes. Even my Oakley Flak Jackets, with fairly large/round stems, seal up just fine.

87a03f08.jpg

How are these when using a rifle? More importantly do they ever get in the way when shooting in improvised positions?

I have yet to fully test these with improvised positions or prone behind a bolt gun. I will say, however, that the cups aren't any bigger than other earpro I've used without issue.

I ask because I'm FINALLY taking a class in Oct. so I need a good set of ear pro so I don't force the instructor to yell.

Congrats!

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    ProXs give a much better cheek weld. No issues yet with positions or wearing Oakley M frames. I have a class first week of June...we'll see how she goes but I dont anticipate any issues.

HLs = Howard Leights. TU = **** (breasts) up.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For the next 2 days, TCI is offering 15% off your order using coupon code "TGIF". I tried using it when I ordered mine, but it wasn't valid at that time. Offer ends 5/27/12.

This would save you ~$40 off their DEHP Pro-X, making it ~$220.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    For the next 2 days, TCI is offering 15% off your order using coupon code "TGIF". I tried using it when I ordered mine, but it wasn't valid at that time. Offer ends 5/27/12.

This would save you ~$40 off their DEHP Pro-X, making it ~$220.
    Too bad I bought 2 sets a week ago :(

I'm tempted to email them and see if they'll "honor it"...

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Congrats on some money well spent! I've got a set like yours and another set with the metal & plastic band set to go behind the head. I love em both and haven't found anything that works as well.

Do you have a preference for either one? I normally shoot with a baseball cap on to keep the sun out of my eyes and think that the behind the head set would be more comfortable.

That's a fair amount of coin to drop on headsets, especially if you have two pair.

*edit* if I kept reading, I'd see my answers. Thanks.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    When I ordered I missed it by a week. I put a note in the "comments" section but never heard anything, and never saw an adjustment. Oh well.
    I tried to order 3 more pairs for my brothers/dad, but it wouldn't let me proceed to checkout with the promotion code entered. If I cancelled the promotion code it let me proceed, but if I entered it back in, it wouldn't let me. So I emailed them. The CEO emailed back and said that if I call within the next 3 hours, they would honor the reduced price. That's fantastic, give me 3 hours to make a phone call for a reduced price. Only problem, I'm in a foreign country with very limited phone access, and I was sleeping at the time due to the time difference. I emailed him back and explained the situation. I guess we'll see if they step up to the plate or not.

Just to be clear, this is unrelated to the 2 pairs I bought last week. I was trying to buy 3 additional pairs, and it was still during the window that the TGIF discount was good. They said it was a glitch in the system where it was detecting my previous order that had been placed on May 16th, and it wasn't letting the order go through because that order was placed before the TGIF code was active.

:dunno:

I'm not sure what's going on, but if they don't honor the discount on the 3 additional pairs then maybe I'll re-think doing business with them. I'll give them a fair chance though. I'm currently awaiting their response.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not sure what's going on, but if they don't honor the discount on the 3 additional pairs then maybe I'll re-think doing business with them. I'll give them a fair chance though. I'm currently awaiting their response.

It would be pretty crazy to not honor the discount code when you're looking at buying 3 pairs!! :spend:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I spent yesterday afternoon on the range with the DEHPs-- about 5 hours or so. After the first hour my eyepro started digging into my head. I moved the stems so they sat on the outside of my hat and it was MUCH more comfortable. The gel earseals still kept the noise out.

217dee82.jpg

Some had asked about the earseal breaking with a rifle cheekweld. I didn't shoot any rifles from prone yesterday, but you can see in the picture that shooting a carbine causes no issues with cheekweld.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It would be pretty crazy to not honor the discount code when you're looking at buying 3 pairs!! :spend:
    When they heard of my circumstances they set me up with a special discount code just for me, and gave me until the 15th of June to use it. :rockwoot:

Great company!!!! Will definitely do business with them again... although now that I've bought 5 pairs of these I don't think I'll be doing much business with them anytime in the near future.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That's great news!
    Finally made it home to try out my ear-pro.

WOW!!!!

I had actually forgotten about them until I came across them on my reloading bench downstairs. My wife kindly placed them in a huge pile of things she's been settings aside for me to go through for the past 7 months.

First impressions. The first of 2 batteries is a bit tricky to get in, but with 400 hr battery life I'm not too concerned about that. After I finally got the batteries in (took about 3 minutes and the use of a pencil to reach in and manipulate the first battery into place) I turned them on and put them on my head. They must default to the highest volume setting when you turn them on the first time because I heard a little feedback between them as I put them on. My first thought was, "WTH is that buzzing & clicking noise?" It then occurred to me that the buzzing was the freezer running and the clicking was the clock on the wall. These things can really amplify sounds to a level I didn't realize, and they still maintain great clarity and minimize interference when they do it.

I also got to try them out shooting late last night. My wife went out to lock the chicken coop up and she said there was a rat trapped inside. So off I go with my near ear-pro and Ruger 22/45. Rat is gone, and initial impression are money well spent.

Top Bottom