• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After needing some new electronic earpro to replace my Radians ProAmps, and after being disappointed in the fit of Howard Leight Impact Sports, I decided to "buy once, cry once" and purchased some MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X electronic earpro from Tactical Command Industries.

I will be putting this new set up against 3 other popular models of electronic earpro in a future review that promises to be quite interesting: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oers_i_need_your_help_with_a_gear_review.html

First impressions of the Sordins? Wow! These things are built like a tank. Metal replaces plastic, and crystal clear electronics replaces choppy and clippy circuits.

I snapped a few quick pics.

20rvhio.jpg

xp4rx4.jpg

30iesgg.jpg

These came with the optional gel hygiene kit. The seals are quite comfy.
    n2h5zs.jpg

Push middle button for ON. + or - for volume control. Hold middle button for OFF.
    1rq4k0.jpg

The metal-to-metal connections make for a very robust design.
    24wblmx.jpg

The headband has an included cover that can be removed (velcro) for washing. Its just a cover and does not provide any padding.
    902kjr.jpg

Two AAA batteries are inserted here. I'm curious why there is a place for a retention device on the cap, but no lanyard? :dunno: The cap screws on very securely and is o-ring sealed.
    2gxe91v.jpg

Another oddity-- the manual says that the headband should collapse down over the cups, but this is as far as they'll go. I wonder if the optional gel ear seals are thicker than the standard ones, causing it to not collapse fully.
    w0lssk.jpg

Price was $257 + $13 shipping = $270 from Tactical Command Industries.

TCI OEM Digital Hearing Protection by MSA Sordin for TCI

I've already let a couple of INGOers check these out and compare them to a few other sets. I look forward to testing these more extensively in the near future.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ouch...$270 bucks!

Where about do you live? I may want to check out your collection of earmuffs...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As good as they may be, going from the pictures, it seems that they would be far too large for my purposes.:(

Actually they are quite slim-- don't let the pics fool you. And they are slimmest at the bottom of the earcups. The review will have more comparison pics.

Unless you're talking about them fitting under a helmet, in which case they make versions that do.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    I have this exact pair of earpro and replaced a pair of HL's that went TU. They are on par the HL's in size. Personally I feel I can get a better cheek weld with an AR with these, I believe due to the "give" of the gel inserts. HL's would occasionally break the seal around my strong side ear making for loud bangs on occasion. I have a rather large melon, that may also help ;-)

ProX's on L, HL's on R
    picture.php

picture.php

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I've thought about getting the proamp or the impacts port...but now you buy these. I'm lost on what electronic earmuffs to get

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    esrice,
    "Another oddity-- the manual says that the headband should collapse down over the cups, but this is as far as they'll go. I wonder if the optional gel ear seals are thicker than the standard ones, causing it to not collapse fully."

If you extend the head band adjustment out to its full length on both sides they will collapse all the way even with the gel ear cups. At least mine do, and I love my Sordins. :yesway: Great sound and perfect noise dampening.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Congrats on some money well spent! I've got a set like yours and another set with the metal & plastic band set to go behind the head. I love em both and haven't found anything that works as well.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you extend the head band adjustment out to its full length on both sides they will collapse all the way even with the gel ear cups.

I read that in the manual and tried it but still no dice. One thing I also realized is that the TCI version comes with what they call an "upgraded battery compartment and battery cap". It has a little spike for where I think a retention clip should go. Even if I force the headband in an effort to collapse it, it can't pass this spike on the battery cover.

2gxe91v.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I got a nice email back from Tactical Command Industries. They explained that the upgraded battery compartment and cap is the same on they use in their high-end Liberator series, which has a cap retention device. They use the same cap on my DEHP, but it does not have a retention device. I do like the heavy duty cap with the o-ring seal, but I might see about grinding down the spike that prohibits them from folding.

I also got to them out on the range for the first time yesterday.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hooting_the_new_m_and_p9_shield_with_que.html

28s9d2v.jpg

They are awesome! Que also got to compare them to his Howard Leight Impact Sports. The electronics were very clear, as well as the directional hearing. I'm really looking forward to getting this big review together.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I can live with them not folding up as long as the bad sound is blocked out, but allows me to carry on a conversation, and is comfortable...Does it have an AUX input? That would be a plus.

Also, how's the warranty?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Normally I'm not one to go around inviting myself but would there be an opportunity that I could check them out in person around gun fire?

Top Bottom