• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Surefire is coming out with some new "low end" versions of the G2 and 6P LED. Going to be 200 lumens (w/ optional low mode) and they are going to be cheaper than the current ones. G2 will start at $55 and the 6P at $70

Word on the street is the head will be permanently attached as well as the lens. No knurling on them, but the 6P is HAIII anodized. I'm anxious to see what the voltage range will be on them.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the one thing i will say about surfire vs almost any other brand is they have a no bs life time warranty. i have a old version of the above light that is 8 years old and the push button cap finally wore out. i called them no questions asked shipped me a whole new end cap for it. so that is part of their high prices where most companies like fenix i believe only have a year warranty. 4sevens does have a 10 year warranty which is pretty damn good also.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    :faint: I paid less than that for my 700 lumen search and rescue light with multiple brightness settings also strobe and S.O.S. mode.

Lots of manufacturers make claims on how many lumens their lights put out. Usually they are rated about 30-40% more than what they actually put out the front. That is because few manufacturers invest in the measurement equipment, so they use the white paper numbers from the LED... which don't account for energy lost to heat, light lost in the optics, etc.

I have seen many independent tests of Surefires where the readings from an integrated sphere are higher than their rated output.

There is also a huge quality difference between the cheap Chinese lights and a Surefire.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    revance. lol i wouldn't call fenix, zebralight,quark, 4sevens cheap chinese brands. surefire is a great light and has the best warranty out there for lights. but you can get much more bang for you buck buy going with one of the above mentioned and they will serve you fine. most all of them are waterproof to ipx-8 standard and drop resistant (hell i stood up on the roof of my house and just kept throwing the first one i bought off probably 50 times with no dmg, also just sat there and dropped it on the concrete over and over again to see what it would take then put it on my saiga 12 and ran a couple hundred rounds through it and it was still going strong when i gave it away and bought a newer model). i have many of them including surefire and almost any day of the week i will pick up my fenix over the surefire just because of the features, lumens, runtime, quality, the extras that come with them, and cost. not trying to knock what your saying as you seem to know what your talking about but just pointing out that there are many good lights other than surefire for a quarter of the price and just as solid

here is a picture of just some of my lights to show that i am not just popping off. i have a little of all of it and this is just some of them

DSCN0854.jpg

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Grunt Soldier

I agree, there are some "Premium Chinese" lights out there. However most of them aren't THAT much cheaper than Surefire. My frustration with Surefire is they haven't kept up with the LED outputs of others. I'm not sure what their reasoning is, but luckily all of mine take the P60 style drop-ins so I can replace them.

There are also some "Premium Chinese" lights that I have been pretty disappointed in. Olight is one of them, the bodies of the ones I have fondled felt like cheap iTP lights. I am a big Fenix fan and if Solarforce would make all their lights with the same quality as the Masterpiece I got, I would be in love with them.

I guess I was a bit harsh, but when I see people making funny smiley's about spending money on a Surefire, all I can think of is the guys at the 1500 trying to tell me their cheap iTP and Ultrafires are better than a Surefire.

I love flashlights, I buy expensive ones and cheap ones. I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of buying a bunch of "cheap" lights from DX and similar place to see if I can find a diamond in the rough. Speaking of diamonds in the rough, check out the Romisen F4.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I still stand by my statement. you get twice as much for half the price with fenix vs. surefire. I would put any fenix against any surefire any day.:draw:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I still stand by my statement. you get twice as much for half the price with fenix vs. surefire. I would put any fenix against any surefire any day.:draw:

A Fenix TK-11 is $85, even the cheaper ones are all over $50. You can get a Surefire 6PX for $70 or a G2X for $55. I'm not saying Fenix lights aren't good or aren't a good deal... but the difference isn't as drastic as you claim. There are some Surefires that are just obscenely overpriced, I will agree with that.

You could also get a Surefire 6P LED for $70 at Lowes when they send out the $10 coupons, sell the P60L for $30, buy a Dereelight R2 to replace it for $30 and end up with a very nice >300 lumen light for $70 + tax.

I have a couple Fenix lights, I like them... but they just aren't the same as a Surefire.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Surefire bringing some lower priced lights with reasonable performance to the market changes things a little bit . . . for now. The result will be a drop in price of lights like the Fenix TK11 (my favorite) as well as introduction of the next step from Fenix and its peers at the current price points. At some point, you're going to be able to get a rugged, reliable light that can roast a 30 lb. turkey in 22 seconds for less than $50.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    A Fenix TK-11 is $85, even the cheaper ones are all over $50. You can get a Surefire 6PX for $70 or a G2X for $55. I'm not saying Fenix lights aren't good or aren't a good deal... but the difference isn't as drastic as you claim. There are some Surefires that are just obscenely overpriced, I will agree with that.

You could also get a Surefire 6P LED for $70 at Lowes when they send out the $10 coupons, sell the P60L for $30, buy a Dereelight R2 to replace it for $30 and end up with a very nice >300 lumen light for $70 + tax.

I have a couple Fenix lights, I like them... but they just aren't the same as a Surefire.

well picking and choosing makes your statement look great but I can do it to. lets compare the surefire m3lt at $450 to a fenix tk30 for $140 definitely half the price and more performance. my point is surefire is behind in the lighting game, what they do have is name recognition and a military contract everything else they lack in.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    well picking and choosing makes your statement look great but I can do it to. lets compare the surefire m3lt at $450 to a fenix tk30 for $140 definitely half the price and more performance. my point is surefire is behind in the lighting game, what they do have is name recognition and a military contract everything else they lack in.

The machining on Surefires is hands down the best in the industry.

You are repeating things I have already mentioned... that they are behind in their LED technology, that some of their lights are obscenely overpriced, etc. However I still believe them to be better made and have the best warranty. I can abuse the heck out of a 10 year old Surefire, break something and they will send me a replacement no questions asked.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    well I don't pay your bills so you buy whatever you want and vice versa.:cheers:

Agreed... and again, I have nothing but respect for Fenix, but I don't think one should knock the value of a Surefire either. Just hold a TK40 in one hand and an M6 in the other... definitely a difference in machining. Sadly there is also a difference in light output. Surefire really needs to shove an SST-90 in there.

like this:

SR90 Intimidator Flashlights---OLIGHT.ALL rights reserved

If you like the TK40, you should check out the Solarforce Masterpiece. Its only $100, runs on 2 18650 batteries with a Cree MC-E LED. Incredible quality for the price. If only their normal lights had the same quality.

Top Bottom