• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Ok, I have a P89 I am wanting to trade in the classifieds. I am wanting a sub/compact 9mm but was thinking that this is going to be my deep concealment since I normally carry my .45. Should I start looking at .380 or stay with the 9mm? With bullet technology these days I am not to worried about the stopping power of the .380 even though it is significantly less then the 9mm. There are just so many options to choose from and wanted some professional help. You guys know who you are.:D

Looking at the LCP or Bersa, but just not sure yet.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i didnt like the keltec p3at and the bersa cc i handled at bradis seemed cheap. i ended up going with the taurus 709 slim. sure, its a bit bigger than the lcp, but i like it A LOT more. and its 9mm, so i didnt have to worry about feeding another caliber.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    i didnt like the keltec p3at and the bersa cc i handled at bradis seemed cheap. i ended up going with the taurus 709 slim. sure, its a bit bigger than the lcp, but i like it A LOT more. and its 9mm, so i didnt have to worry about feeding another caliber.

Whats the width like? I cant find that on their website. That is a very nice looking little pistol and priced good too.

mrbunky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    clark co
    biggest problem i see is price and availability of 380 ammo.111 gun shop has it at 150.00 for 250 rounds or 33.00 for 50 rounds,i bought bulk ammo 100 rounds of 9mm for 22.00 at kieslers gun shop.the pf9 keltec in 9mm is very thin and light and can be pocket carried.and they have the best service depti have ever found.it's the same size as the walther pps but much less money. just my $0.02

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    its a little thinner than a glock 26. i might be able to measure it when i get home.

dont get me wrong, the LCP or P3AT are smaller choices. but the ergonomics of the 709 are great IMO. i cant wait for the extended mags to come out.

the keltec 9mm is also smaller than the 709, but after my bad experience with the p3at, i wont be investing in them anymore. i prolly just got a lemon. but i have had excellent luck with taurus guns.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    That gun is very intriguing. :) I don't want a keltec. I would really like to stick with 9mm just so I dont have to change ammo out plus I like the round itself. There are just way to many options.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    After holding the 709, i would guess that it feels/recoils about the same as my PF-9. if you want to meet at tri county i'll let you shoot it all you want BUT it's off getting hard chromed right now and i'm not sure it will even be back by this weekend :( (we could still meet and shoot lots of others though) :):

Also, Barry @ millers has one of the 709s in stock if you want to hold one.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I was going to go there Thursday after work and pick up an extra mag for my 1911. Might just have to take a peek at one. One of these days we need to go and shoot. That 7.62 AR might be pretty fun. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    stay with the 9mm

with the manufac. using the 380 dye's for 9 mm rounds youll never find ammo for a decent price if you find it at all and the new 9mm are getting alot small such as your kel tec and taurus

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    biggest problem i see is price and availability of 380 ammo.111 gun shop has it at 150.00 for 250 rounds or 33.00 for 50 rounds,i bought bulk ammo 100 rounds of 9mm for 22.00 at kieslers gun shop.the pf9 keltec in 9mm is very thin and light and can be pocket carried.and they have the best service depti have ever found.it's the same size as the walther pps but much less money. just my $0.02

Sounds like they only sell stuff to LEO.

KIESLER'S DOES NOT SELL TO OR DEAL WITH THE CIVILIAN MARKET, INDIVIDUALS, OR FFL DEALERS. KIESLER'S ONLY DEALS WITH, ISSUES QUOTES TO, AND SELLS TO FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, INDIVIDUAL OFFICERS, RESERVE OFFICERS, AFFILIATED GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, US MILITARY, INDIVIDUAL MILITARY PERSONNEL, RETIRED MILITARY WITH RETIRED ID, AFFILIATED TRAINING FACILITIES.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Should I start looking at .380 or stay with the 9mm? With bullet technology these days I am not to worried about the stopping power of the .380 even though it is significantly less then the 9mm.

You are correct that the the .380 acp is significantly "less" than the 9mm. Whether that worries you or not depends on your own personal standards and comfort level. At least .380 is harder to find and more expensive. ;)

However, if you'd prefer to carry a 9mm, there's no reason to go to a .380 to get something in a similarly sized form factor. For example, the Kahr CW9 is about the same size as the Bersa Thunder 380/SIG P232/Walther (and is lighter and thinner), while the Kahr PM9 is in pocket gun territory.

The small 9s are really encroaching on the need for a .380 these days, imo, unless one is particularly recoil sensitive, is limited by budget constraints, or lives in a country where military calibers are banned from public use.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I just checked out one of the taurus 709's today and I really liked it. Although the price at this shop was a bit higher than I'm willing to pay. I've handled the keltec pf9 as well and it fit me pretty well too. But I really think I'm gonna see if I can find one of the 709's at a good price instead in the near future.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Yeah that's why I got a P11. I'll pose another one for you. what about a PA63? or any other Mak? They are great guns and the 9x19 round is pretty stout....

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    Sounds like they only sell stuff to LEO.

KIESLER'S DOES NOT SELL TO OR DEAL WITH THE CIVILIAN MARKET, INDIVIDUALS, OR FFL DEALERS. KIESLER'S ONLY DEALS WITH, ISSUES QUOTES TO, AND SELLS TO FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, INDIVIDUAL OFFICERS, RESERVE OFFICERS, AFFILIATED GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, US MILITARY, INDIVIDUAL MILITARY PERSONNEL, RETIRED MILITARY WITH RETIRED ID, AFFILIATED TRAINING FACILITIES.

You do know that Doug Keisler sold his retail business to Orion Arms (That still operates under the "Kieslers" name) in the same location but Doug still operates his wholesale business that only sells to what you mentioned above. I've bought several firearms (RRA, Taurus, Springfield, ect) from Kiesler's aka Orion Arms in the last few years.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I have both the Kel Tec 9mm and 380. Very nice and concealable. (9mm feels more like a .40 because it's so light.

My first carry gun was a Bersa .380. It's what I could afford at the time. At 24.5 ounces it was lite and gave me 8 rounds. But it did start having malfunctions after about 3 years.

The LCP seems to be a copy of the Kel Tec.

There is an old saying... "Friends don't let friends carry .380's!" But I carry the 3AT when my dress requires it. Otherwise it's a full sized 1911 or an XD SC in .40.

Good luck!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would stick with the 9mm. Raason being is .380 ammo is still very hard to find. You can get a compact nine, and still have good capacity. A .380 to me is a back up gun, not your main defense weapon. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom