• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    That sounds like quite a career he has had! Its always heartbreaking when an AF wing loses its planes. The 181st had a long flying history. I have heard others like your dad say the same thing; it was like a second family.
    I hope they can keep both units open.

The guard has been good to him.... Before they lost their jets his jet was the one that was involved in the mid air collision that killed one of their best pilots... It was his favorite jet that he ever worked on before or since.... Still bothers him I think....

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The guard has been good to him.... Before they lost their jets his jet was the one that was involved in the mid air collision that killed one of their best pilots... It was his favorite jet that he ever worked on before or since.... Still bothers him I think....
    That wasn't his fault. That stuff happens sometimes

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That is good to hear about the long term outlook. I had a source over there tell me that they were conducting some seismic tests and he said it was prep for drone activity. Hadn't heard anything more one way or the other.

The whole drone thing is often relayed but the ANG here has no indication from the powers that be it's even in the works with the North Dakota taking a major drone operation over on the Northern border.

There is talk that ISU is going to offer some UAV type pilot program in the distant future but it is in the very early conversation stages. terre Haute would be not a bad area because of low air traffic etc if they chose to do it.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I still mourn the day we lost our A-10s at Grissom. The unit transitioned to KC-135Rs and I switched career fields from Jet Engine Tech to Logistics Planner. Spent 14 years working A-10s. Great plane to maintain and deploy with. Had a couple years on the F-4 and a year on the F-111. Nothing like a Warthog...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Congrats and tell her thanks for serving. My son is in his third year as an Airman.

Yeah, MTI's aren't supposed to do a lot of things....but...

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I still mourn the day we lost our A-10s at Grissom. The unit transitioned to KC-135Rs and I switched career fields from Jet Engine Tech to Logistics Planner. Spent 14 years working A-10s. Great plane to maintain and deploy with. Had a couple years on the F-4 and a year on the F-111. Nothing like a Warthog...

Would have loved to flown the A10. What an awesome weapon platform. Thanks for your service,by the way

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Congrats and tell her thanks for serving. My son is in his third year as an Airman.

Yeah, MTI's aren't supposed to do a lot of things....but...

Will do, she is already finding out what a small world it is in the military. Lots of good comradarie, lots of sharp young people

Top Bottom