• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Anyone else see Colt dropped a new revolver line today at NRA meeting?

All I could find was their FB post below is a screenshot 3” 357 has my attention

Attachments

• IMG_6669.jpeg
      IMG_6669.jpeg
      231.9 KB · Views: 51

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Apparently firearms manufacturers don't suffer as much as I would expect in the Internet era from reported manufacturing and quality control issues, which I would hope would lead to them acting rapidly to correct their processes. Certainly these companies should be aware of a wider range of failures via warranty claims than what we see posted online to provide corrective feedback from hands-on examination. At least it's still better than the old days where you could not count on gun magazines to accurately report negative review experiences (although I recall Gun Tests sprung up trying to address that).

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Apparently firearms manufacturers don't suffer as much as I would expect in the Internet era from reported manufacturing and quality control issues, which I would hope would lead to them acting rapidly to correct their processes. Certainly these companies should be aware of a wider range of failures via warranty claims than what we see posted online to provide corrective feedback from hands-on examination. At least it's still better than the old days where you could not count on gun magazines to accurately report negative review experiences (although I recall Gun Tests sprung up trying to address that).

Yet my Taurus Model 44 with thousands of full power 44mag loads continues to work year after year.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

Every make has had a lemon. Colt S&W Glock Ruger Ford Chevy

I’m not so sure it’s worse now or it just seems like it because everyone puts it on blast with social media and forum.

I have certainly had a few various Guns and products that got sent back for stuff that made one scratch their head how it left the factory. Then on the other hand I have also been on the other side and seen “that guy” that had a gun with zero issues but you couldn’t tell him and the company got everything up to almost a free gun for him and he still wasn’t happy with the company of the store I worked at.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The 8” Python is the one I’ve been waiting for and am glad to see the time has come!!
    I was waiting for the 8 inch as well, I was surprised when I saw one at the LGS yesterday, I didn't even know they were out.

UKXj2c7l.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Im still thinking about a 4" Python in stainless.
    But I rarely shoot my old blued 6".
    The new porting looks cheap IMHO and the unfluted cylinders don't do anything for me aesthetically.
    Biggest complaint is shape of trigger in profile.
    Prefer the looks of the old style. Pleases my crooked eye LOL

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Colt management is maddening.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't not even try a 9mm based on the MHS specs. No carry pistol. Nothing but an endless sea of Fudd offerings. I just might cry.

What's the market for another 9mm not-a-Glock that CZ doesn't already have covered with CZ offerings? There's no volume play there, the market is already saturated AF. But you know what market isn't saturated AF? Nostalgia plays to the Boomers and early Gen-Xers who have disposable income and don't (want to) remember when you couldn't give a Colt revolver away until they stopped making them...then they were classics.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What's the market for another 9mm not-a-Glock that CZ doesn't already have covered with CZ offerings? There's no volume play there, the market is already saturated AF. But you know what market isn't saturated AF? Nostalgia plays to the Boomers and early Gen-Xers who have disposable income and don't (want to) remember when you couldn't give a Colt revolver away until they stopped making them...then they were classics.
    I see this as Colt continuing to eat their seed corn and gorge on nostalgia. And MHS will take money and time to pay off in future contracts as well as the COTS market. But you're right, I have not looked at short term numbers if they are available.

Maybe do like SW and have a Performance Center? Colt could do a Fudd or Nostalgia Center?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I see this as Colt continuing to eat their seed corn and gorge on nostalgia. And MHS will take money and time to pay off in future contracts as well as the COTS market. But you're right, I have not looked at short term numbers if they are available.

Maybe do like SW and have a Performance Center? Colt could do a Fudd or Nostalgia Center?

Remembering CZ owns them, they can afford to be a nostalgia center now.

Move up market, make 'collector' guns as long as the nostalgia wave lasts, let CZ keep the crumbs of the 9mm polymers market they can sweep up from Glock and Sig. They aren't going to be a high volume play, so better to sell $1500 guns that sell vs making the next Beretta APX or whatever that dustily sits on the shelf at four bills or so.

FWIW, I haven't bought a gun in probably 3-4 years, but some of their new revolver entries have me interested.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

Move up market, make 'collector' guns as long as the nostalgia wave lasts, let CZ keep the crumbs of the 9mm polymers market they can sweep up from Glock and Sig. They aren't going to be a high volume play, so better to sell $1500 guns that sell vs making the next Beretta APX or whatever that dustily sits on the shelf at four bills or so.

FWIW, I haven't bought a gun in probably 3-4 years, but some of their new revolver entries have me interested.
    I will say I have seen quite a lot of CZ P10c’s on the national training side.
    In classes the last 3 years or so from Spaulding to Rangemaster Basic and Advanced Instructor and a bunch of matches CZ and HK have had more representation than you’d think.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I will say I have seen quite a lot of CZ P10c’s on the national training side.
    In classes the last 3 years or so from Spaulding to Rangemaster Basic and Advanced Instructor and a bunch of matches CZ and HK have had more representation than you’d think.

I'm not surprised in the slightest by a strong showing by CZ in competition guns, it's a niche they've historically done well in. But that's not a volume play and why would they use Colt to eat in to their own market?

Figure a large department like NYPD has over 35k sworn officers to arm and it doesn't take many institutional contracts, foreign or domestic, to dwarf any consumer niche market. How many serious competitors and people training are there vs how many are buying a Taurus because it's cheap and they're playing gun of the month anyway?

Other than LAPD choosing FN, I can't think of a major domestic contract that's not Glock or Sig.

If it were me, I'd do exactly what they are doing now. Let Colt run higher end and in the nostalgia market, let CZ compete in the bargain and competition market, and not chase gov't contracts you are unlikely to get without massive spend on rolling out supporting logistics. Glock doesn't win contracts because it is or isn't the best pistol, they win because it's the best package. Institutional buyers need guns, but they also need spare parts, leather, armor training, spare mags, training/sim guns, etc. WTF would CZ use Colt to try break into that market, and if not what's the point of another 9mm not-a-Glock?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've always wanted to see a 9mm built with the same external appearance as the 1903. That and/or another more powerful caliber than 32 ACP or 380 ACP. Cylinder and Slide made an interesting version on a shortened and bobbed 1911 frame that used 45 ACP, but they are gone.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I'm not surprised in the slightest by a strong showing by CZ in competition guns, it's a niche they've historically done well in. But that's not a volume play and why would they use Colt to eat in to their own market?

Figure a large department like NYPD has over 35k sworn officers to arm and it doesn't take many institutional contracts, foreign or domestic, to dwarf any consumer niche market. How many serious competitors and people training are there vs how many are buying a Taurus because it's cheap and they're playing gun of the month anyway?

Other than LAPD choosing FN, I can't think of a major domestic contract that's not Glock or Sig.

If it were me, I'd do exactly what they are doing now. Let Colt run higher end and in the nostalgia market, let CZ compete in the bargain and competition market, and not chase gov't contracts you are unlikely to get without massive spend on rolling out supporting logistics. Glock doesn't win contracts because it is or isn't the best pistol, they win because it's the best package. Institutional buyers need guns, but they also need spare parts, leather, armor training, spare mags, training/sim guns, etc. WTF would CZ use Colt to try break into that market, and if not what's the point of another 9mm not-a-Glock?

The one contract that has me scratching my head is Pennsylvania State Police is ditching the Sig 227 for Walther PDP and red dot.

And Colorado State Patrol I’d doing Shadow Systems Glock clone.

While small in comparison to LAPD numbers there’s small holdouts here and there

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

A valid response. I am still crossing my arms and sulking over Colt's complete and utter mismanagement and incompetence.

Top Bottom