• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    That's my line of thinking as well OD*. I asked the owner about the finish, and he said when it was issued to him in 1969 he received it in a bag covered in cosmoline/grease, and it always had the same color finish as it does now. He also said the barrel was replaced twice after each of his two tours in Nam.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    That's my line of thinking as well OD*. I asked the owner about the finish, and he said when it was issued to him in 1969 he received it in a bag covered in cosmoline/grease, and it always had the same color finish as it does now. He also said the barrel was replaced twice after each of his two tours in Nam.
    It's quite possible it was a field expedient repair at a depot, it would not have been stamped with arsenal initials.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    That's about the only thing that makes sense in my opinion. If it was repaired while he was active duty I would imagine it was done in the field, since sending it back to the states wouldn't have been a quick ordeal. I sure wish this piece of history could talk, and answer all the unknown questions !

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd say get it finished how you want it and shoot it as well. Its not a collector's piece, so I wouldn't hesitate to have it refinished like you would want it to be.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Original or not its one neat piece. If it could talk +theres no telling what you would hear. Congrats on an excelt find!

Years ago my grandfather showed me the K98k Mauser he brought back from France in WWII. This was a genuine "battlefield pick-up" rifle that he found and sent back to the US as a war trophy.

I was awestruck by it and exclaimed "If that rifle could talk, it would sure have some stories to tell." Grandpa (in his early 80's then) looked at me with a fire in his eye and a tone of his voice that I had never heard before.

His answer was short, and to the point: "You wouldn't want to know." I was taken back by that for a minute, because in my head I was really wanting to know about all of the places it had been, action that it had seen, etc. But I think Grandpa's point was this...that rifle (and in this case that 1911) has probably been the instrument of a very violent death for another human being, and maybe used for that more than one time. While the historical significance of the times and places these weapons were used is in fact very note worthy, the reality is that in war there are some things that those of that weren't there really don't want to know about, and that those that experienced it first hand wish they could forget.

Now, I'm not trying to down play the very significant history that 1911, or any other war-used weapon, has. I myself have several guns in my collection that have served in armed conflicts. But I am sharing an unforgettable experience I had with someone that has stories he'd rather not tell, and probably saw things he wishes he could forget about such a weapon.

Cloverdaleman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Cloverdale,Indiana
    I picked this Colt up from a friend of mines neighbor who carried this during the Vietnam war. From what I was told he was in a Special Forces unit during the time we were unofficially in Laos, and Cambodia. The Gentleman said he slept with this pistol on his chest at night, and it had saved his life several times. It has a 6 digit serial number (407,XXX) which from what I can decode dates this pistol to 1918. I do not see any arsenal refurb marks on it anywhere, but if someone out there has information on it I would greatly appreciate it. My biggest question is in regards to the finish since I am not exactly sure what it is or was for that matter ??

picture.php

picture.php
    Looks like rust to me,but it could be what they call "browning". Like they do to muzzle loaders?

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    IndianasFinest

To give you an idea what a professional restoration can do for your pistol.

This is a 1913 Colt that had the "United States Property" stamping removed, it had some pitting, and then a bead blast job and re-bluing.

eaa99511.jpg

This is the same pistol after a professional restoration.

M1911sideI-1.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I personally like the way it looks more than one that has been refinished. About the history of some of those old guns, I've got a Browning Hi Power that my grandpa had from WII. He said he won it in a poker game. I'm not real sure how much of that story was believable but he obviously had the winning hand. Mr. Muller didn't have what I'd call a good day. It would've been a bit nicer if he would've written more than just his last name inside the holster though so we could've tried doing a bit of research.

If I came across a 1911 that looked just like that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I'd enjoy it more than any pretty current production 1911.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    You probably allready know this, but you might take a close look at the firing pin return spring. On older 1911's this spring can become "tired" and or gummed up with lube and dirt. A friend had a Vietnam bring back like this and he was heart broken one day when the firing pin stayed forward and the gun fired out of battery. It blew off the grips, one of the screw escutcheons in the frame, and the magazine was ruined. Some new parts later and a new set of springs and he was back in bizness, but it could have been avoided if he had addressed this issue before hand.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't care what the "experts" say, a gun with a battle record and provenance shouldn't be "restored" IMHO. If you want one that looks restored, then buy one, but I think it would be a slap in the face to the vet whose life it saved, to have it "restored".

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Thanks for sharing. If it were me I'd have all the springs replaced. (keep the old ones) Get as many stories out of the previous owner that he would be willing to share over a few beers\ dinner. Write as many of them down that you can remember and store them with the pistol. Then someday take them both out shooting. I think it has character the way it sets now. It has a story and a refinish just says to me ...I don't care about its story. The story of the pistol would be worth more to me than making it worth "more" with a refinish. That's just me though.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    It's your gun....do what you like. Personally, I'd leave it alone except for swapping out the springs.
    I understand that it's been reworked, and therefore not super collectible, but it is a pretty unique piece. If you get it refinished, then it's just another refinished 1911.
    Either way, thanks for posting the pics.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    It's your gun....do what you like. Personally, I'd leave it alone except for swapping out the springs.
    I understand that it's been reworked, and therefore not super collectible, but it is a pretty unique piece. If you get it refinished, then it's just another refinished 1911.
    Either way, thanks for posting the pics.
    I would agree with that, if the "stories" can/could be verified, if they can't, then it is just that, stories. IF, the original "SF" owner was that emotionally involved with the pistol that he would consider it a slap in the face to have it restored (NOT refinished), why did he give/sell it to a neighbor, to be sold yet again?

Top Bottom