• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Almost had me hooked, but I don't care for the stock.

The stock is the reason this rifle is at least $100 cheaper than anything else in the same caliber in the Magnum Lite series. This, and the fact it is ambidextrous, are the reasons I chose this model. A (relatively) inexpensive stock means I can modify it without remorse. First mod will be to add sling studs.

Last edited:

Shollz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Let us know how it performs. I may have to buy one. Sold my T a few years ago, and would like another 10/22

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Range Report:

I finally got out to MCFG this afternoon after picking up a set of high-buck Warne vertical-split 1" rings to mount my Mueller APV 4.5-14x 40mm AO scope. I decided to skip the laser bore sighting after centering the elevation and windage adjusters since I'd rather not put anything in the bore not resembling a projectile or bore snake.

First group was about 5" low and 4" left, wow wasn't expecting that. Only took a few more rounds to get dialed in. I used Federal Premium Gold Medal ammo exclusively today. The rifle now prints sub-1/2" groups consistently from the bench at 25 yards without a vise (I had only some rolled-up carpet for support). I'm far from an expert shooter and will be doing my first Appleseed this fall. This rifle is WAAAAAY better than I am.

Only had one FTE in 220 rounds, cause unknown so reliability seems great. Very happy with the rifle so far. I can't say it's any more accurate than my Ruger LVT was but it's feathery light and handles like a dream. It should at over twice the price.

Edit: My FTE when clearing the action yielded one spent casing with the open end smashed nearly flat and another seemingly undamaged (later discharged just fine) so I guess I had a stovepipe that stayed inside the receiver.

Also, the rings are Warne Maxima 1" low mount, vertical split, steel with 2 T15 Torx screws top and bottom and the square stainless steel recoil keys. Way overkill for a .22 but they look and fit so damn nice and I'm thinking will treat that milled-in top rail better than a round shank screw would.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I cant seem to justify in my mind a reason to plop down $500 plus on this. You can buy a 10/22 and have alot of $$ leftover for fun parts.

Luckily i managed to get rid of the wife...now x-wife....so i dont have to sneak anything by her.....havent seen her in almost 3 wonderful years! :rockwoot: It was refreshing to tell her i sold ALL the guns i ever bought her (that she never used) that were in my gun cabinet and rewarded myself with more toys!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My wife has never fired a gun but she's really cool about my gun fetish and her best friend is an Army vet with LTCH and Glock 26... I'm not pushing her, it's better if she goes with her gf and gets professional instruction when she's ready. I'd love to see them do a Ladyseed together!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm a sucker for tricked-out stuff with exotic materials and this one seduced me. Absolutely no regrets and for those of you who'd rather roll your own, have you added up what you've truly spent? Better yet, have you ever tried one of these as it comes from the factory?

To each their own; just taken aback by all the negative comments. A lot of INGOers spend a lot of money on stuff I would not spend my own money on but if it's not on-topic and adds meaningful, thoughtful input to the discussion I do my best to refrain... (although I fall victim to straying off sometimes like this one).

Last edited:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I don't quite understand all the negativity either. Personally, I'm quite pleased with your purchase. Albeit for different reasons :D

That being as it is, I would gladly trade you even steven if you decide you don't like the new rifle!

My thoughts are, you would have spent considerablly more to build a custom 10/22 that would rival this one!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I dont think they are really meant to be negative. Some people like bolt actions, some prefer autos. He likes brunettes, i like blondes......point is ...to each their own....blonde that is! :D Hope your rifle treats you good.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here it is with the Warne Maxima 1" low mount matte rings and Mueller APV optic. If anyone wants one of these stocks the folks at Magnum Research told me they are $79 (I inquired in case I bugger mine up installing sling studs). The fore-end is solid meat for the last few inches so sling studs should be no problem. Looks like I can do either the wood screw type or the machine screw and nut type. The MR rep told me there's solid meat in the stock too (the recoil pad is non-removable) so the wood screw type is the only option there.

20120828_111150.jpg

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I went ahead and drilled the stock and fore-end and installed studs. The plastic was only about 5/16" thick at each location so I used the 1/2" wood screw type at each end with 2 washers (since there was not enough meat to spot-face the area around each stud). I drilled the holes just a bit undersize and really had to crank the studs to get them in. We'll see how it holds up. I used a sight wise and drill press and took my time so the job looks nice and professional. I did sling up and give it a few good pulls and it seems fine and feels really good.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    I'm not real fond of the trigger in a stock Ruger. At my last Appleseed, one of the orange hats had a volquartsen trigger which I got to dry fire. Oh, my, was that nice. Smooth as butter.

Not that I'm trying to get you to spend more money or anything, but that trigger was so much better than the Ruger.

Also, you may want to look into the extended mag release. It does make the timed stages much smoother. Our Ruger doesn't have one, but a few at my last 'Seed did, and I saw the benefit.

nonotone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Picked up my new Magnum Research 22LR today. If your haven't found one Uncle Lee's had 2 more, (1) MLR22AT and (1) 22LR Barracuda Laminated stock nice.
    Anyone seen one of the Magnum Research 22s around central Indiana forsale?

Thanks

Mark

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    What's the length from the end of the receiver to the end of the stock? For $79.00 it might be worth
    chucking my factory Race Rifle stock and buy it along with the MR barrel that I've been thinking about
    getting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom