• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know this guy, just yesterday or so he was posting pictures of the clutch job he was dong on his Cobra..........

Car falls on, kills man at southeast side apartments

I know another guy who is paralized because the jack stands failed.

His last post:
    "My car is going to be finished tonight. I have the new insert in the flywheel and the clutch is going in right after I get done with dinner. I am thinking about midnight, the car should be back on the ground ready to drive around tomorrow."

EDIT: This was posted a little while ago,

"ben's garage at the apartment has a 20 degree incline. So the car was on jacks at angle"

Last edited:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    That is sad. Turnin wrenches can be dangerous, I've gotten quite a few boo boos, but, I never get under a car without jackstands. If at all possible, I use 6x6 blocks or something of the sort. I had a cheap jackstand collapse once, so I bought a 6x6, and use that now.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    That is sad. Turnin wrenches can be dangerous, I've gotten quite a few boo boos, but, I never get under a car without jackstands. If at all possible, I use 6x6 blocks or something of the sort. I had a cheap jackstand collapse once, so I bought a 6x6, and use that now.

I use the jack stands but still keep a tad bit of weight on the jack for just in case and even put something under the car just in case.. like the wheels if they are off.

Getting in a hurry also will get you hurt...... I learned to never say something will be done by such and such time...... I got hurt to many times trying to make the deadline.......

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    I'm not really sure what to say Ben sure loved his cars......Ben and I both went to Purdue at the same time for MET and graduated together in 2007. During our last couple years of school I think we spent more time playing xbox games than studying, but it all seemed to work out right. After we graduated we both went on to work down here at Cummins but in different buildings so I didn't get to see him much anymore.

The last thing he posted on Facebook was:
    "out in the garage, putting the clutch in the car. hit me up if you want to hang out.16 hours ago"

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm not really sure what to say as I wasn't a really good friend, but more of an acquaintance....Ben and I both went to Purdue at the same time for MET and graduated together in 2007. During our last couple years of school I think we spent more time playing xbox games than studying, but it all seemed to work out right. After we graduated we both went on to work down here at Cummins but in different buildings so I didn't get to see him much anymore.

The last thing he posted on Facebook was:
    "out in the garage, putting the clutch in the car. hit me up if you want to hang out.16 hours ago"

I would have been more then happy to have gone down and at least watched in case something happens.......... still sad.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Wow that sucks. Sorry for your loss of you friend. Prayers and thoughts go to the family and friends.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I was never one for taking risks, but as with everyone, I have always done _some_ risky things. As I got older, and worked in my LEO job, safety has become a big thing for me. I do everything as safe as possible. When I cut wood, I wear Kevlar chaps, helmet, and eye/ear protection. Some folks think the idea of spending $150-$200 on Kelvar chaps is over-kill, but whatever.

When it comes to cars, I learned the hardway. I had a loose connection on a battery in an old car of mine. I was trying to get it to make a better connection. I remember the arch of lighting that traveled from negative to positive (I didn't see the path, just that a small lenght of lighting was hitting both posts.) Next thing I knew: I heard a boom, my ears were ringing, and I was spun 180 degrees around from the hood. My training with chemicals and acids kicked in and I ran back into the fast food place, called 911 and left the reciever off the hook (knowing someone would pick it up and say something), and washed my eyes out, took my contacts out, and went back and spoke with the dispatcher. I had my eyes flushed at the ER. I suffered minor burns and they healed.

Since then I wear safety equipment 95% of the time. Every so often I catch myself and stop and put the stuff on. With cars, I use both the jack and the stand. I put the stand under, lower the car on the stand, then jack it up to a point where it barely lifts off the stand. I do worry about the jack stand busting and have seriously thought about getting a second set from a different manufacture. However, given the current state of the economy, I have seen oil change deals so cheap, I am almost to the point of letting someone else do them for me.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I was never one for taking risks, but as with everyone, I have always done _some_ risky things. As I got older, and worked in my LEO job, safety has become a big thing for me. I do everything as safe as possible. When I cut wood, I wear Kevlar chaps, helmet, and eye/ear protection. Some folks think the idea of spending $150-$200 on Kelvar chaps is over-kill, but whatever.

When it comes to cars, I learned the hardway. I had a loose connection on a battery in an old car of mine. I was trying to get it to make a better connection. I remember the arch of lighting that traveled from negative to positive (I didn't see the path, just that a small lenght of lighting was hitting both posts.) Next thing I knew: I heard a boom, my ears were ringing, and I was spun 180 degrees around from the hood. My training with chemicals and acids kicked in and I ran back into the fast food place, called 911 and left the reciever off the hook (knowing someone would pick it up and say something), and washed my eyes out, took my contacts out, and went back and spoke with the dispatcher. I had my eyes flushed at the ER. I suffered minor burns and they healed.

Since then I wear safety equipment 95% of the time. Every so often I catch myself and stop and put the stuff on. With cars, I use both the jack and the stand. I put the stand under, lower the car on the stand, then jack it up to a point where it barely lifts off the stand. I do worry about the jack stand busting and have seriously thought about getting a second set from a different manufacture. However, given the current state of the economy, I have seen oil change deals so cheap, I am almost to the point of letting someone else do them for me.

I don't trust any jack to holed much weight.... I let the stands hold about 95% of the weight.... this way if one fails hopefully the jack will hold or hold long enough for me to get out.

I like you am almost done with oil changes........ id have to watch the person doing it though because at many places you pay for synthetic but don't get it......

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ............ With cars, I use both the jack and the stand. I put the stand under, lower the car on the stand, then jack it up to a point where it barely lifts off the stand. I do worry about the jack stand busting and have seriously thought about getting a second set from a different manufacture. However, given the current state of the economy, I have seen oil change deals so cheap, I am almost to the point of letting someone else do them for me.

Yeah, that. Stands and a jack.
    Also when doing something that might require tugging, pulling, banging
    on the undercarriage whilst below the vehicle I'll usually add a 2nd set
    of stands as well under a frame point. If they slip off one I have a backup.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I use the jack stands but still keep a tad bit of weight on the jack for just in case and even put something under the car just in case.. like the wheels if they are off.

Getting in a hurry also will get you hurt...... I learned to never say something will be done by such and such time...... I got hurt to many times trying to make the deadline.......

This. I have several sets of jack stands up to 16 ton, 6x6 and 8x8 blocks and several floor jacks. I use them every time I am under a vehicle. Pretty cheap insurance compared to the alternative.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Prayers to his family.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It's a sad thing to hear for sure. It could happen to any of us. I remember working under semis and dump trucks and thinking "man if this thing moves I'm done". Lucky for me I had a GREAT auto technology teacher in high school and he pounded safety into our heads. Ever since then I can say I always take safety first when working under anything and I pass it on to anyone I can.

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    I've been on Corral since 99, This isn't the first time between Stangnet or Corral somebody passed because their car fell on them for one reason or another. Placing blame doesn't help anybody at this point.

Just offer your prayers to his family and move on.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I work on cars for a living. Not using stands is a sever safety violation and grounds for termination. NEVER take short cut with your safety or the safety of others. I know someone that had a car roll of a set of those cheep ramps and almost got him.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    working%20under%20a%20truck.jpg

Under+the+Truck.jpg

Severe safety fail.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    He was not stupid but I do agree on the jack stands....... sadly he wrecked his last camaro and trashed it at the track when he was trying to run 10's and pushed it to hard... he ran 10's that pass....... but went across the finish line backwards........

You guys need to read all the post associated with the story. Jack stands WERE in use from eyewitness reports. You do know what ASSuming does?

I do agree with always using jackstands.

Top Bottom