• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    USPS rarely updates tracking info until end of day. Which sort of defeats the purpose for tracking IMO, but what the hey.

I hate UPS because they are the laziest mofos of the 3 main carriers. My house sits on the corner at the entrance to the neighborhood. I have a side-load garage, so my front door is a 30-40' walk from the garage (if one stays on the asphalt drive). UPS always places the packages by the garage door, out of sight of any occupants in the house, but well in sight of anybody driving by. FedEx will almost always take the extra 30 seconds to deliver them to the front door.

The final straw was when we had ordered a new wheel for the 350 upon discovering that the last tech to put the tire on the old rim didn't know his own strength and cracked the rim. UPS "tried" to deliver the replacement wheel one day and left a "Sorry we missed you" sticker on the front door (at least they walked to the front door for that). The problem is that we were home the whole time. So knowing they would try again the next day, I re-arranged my schedule to be home ALL day. I even put a sign on the front door explaining that we were home, to knock loudly, and give me time to answer. Our lay-out is sprawled, and it can take more than the average time to get to the door, especially if I let the dogs out back first to avoid having to deal with them. That afternoon, while I'm sitting in the front room with the kids so I can be as close to the door as possible, I see the UPS guy walk past the window to the front door. He knocks on the front door, turns around, steps down off the porch and heads to the truck. When I opened the door, the "Sorry we missed you" sticker was already there!!! He had no intention of delivery that dang wheel. When I opened the door he looked seriously surprised (at being caught in his, um, error). "OH, I'll have to go get that now." Ya think, you dumb ****?!

UPS is also the same idiots who will sometimes put the packages in the back yard by the service door to the garage instead of on the garden bench that they have to pass by to put them on the friggin' ground. I don't mind that they have to enter the fence to put them back there, but who puts something on the ground instead of up on a table? We had to re-order brake lines because the dog got hold of a package I didn't know had been delivered and used it and the contents for a chew toy!

I really dislike UPS.

Oh, and in response to the OP, it can take a day or two for UPS to get physical possession of the goods. They won't have any info until they have possession.

Sounds like it's just that your UPS driver is lazy, so you should be mad at him and not the company.

Our regular UPS driver here is awesome, but we have lots of other drivers here as well. And, I deal with the actual company all the time. Have even dealt with FedEX AND USPS.

For customer service, delivery service, and even driver service, UPS is the best.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sounds like it's just that your UPS driver is lazy, so you should be mad at him and not the company.
    I see no distinction. But it doesn't matter, we haven't had the same driver for 6 years. So it's more than one driver.

Our regular UPS driver here is awesome, but we have lots of other drivers here as well. And, I deal with the actual company all the time. Have even dealt with FedEX AND USPS.

For customer service, delivery service, and even driver service, UPS is the best.
    When I called UPS customer service to complain about the "failure to deliver," the service was great. But the actual deliver has never been as good as USPS or FedEx. I don't like USPS because it takes 3-4 times longer, but at least they deliver to the box or door.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    USPS rarely updates tracking info until end of day. Which sort of defeats the purpose for tracking IMO, but what the hey.

I hate UPS because they are the laziest mofos of the 3 main carriers. My house sits on the corner at the entrance to the neighborhood. I have a side-load garage, so my front door is a 30-40' walk from the garage (if one stays on the asphalt drive). UPS always places the packages by the garage door, out of sight of any occupants in the house, but well in sight of anybody driving by. FedEx will almost always take the extra 30 seconds to deliver them to the front door.

The final straw was when we had ordered a new wheel for the 350 upon discovering that the last tech to put the tire on the old rim didn't know his own strength and cracked the rim. UPS "tried" to deliver the replacement wheel one day and left a "Sorry we missed you" sticker on the front door (at least they walked to the front door for that). The problem is that we were home the whole time. So knowing they would try again the next day, I re-arranged my schedule to be home ALL day. I even put a sign on the front door explaining that we were home, to knock loudly, and give me time to answer. Our lay-out is sprawled, and it can take more than the average time to get to the door, especially if I let the dogs out back first to avoid having to deal with them. That afternoon, while I'm sitting in the front room with the kids so I can be as close to the door as possible, I see the UPS guy walk past the window to the front door. He knocks on the front door, turns around, steps down off the porch and heads to the truck. When I opened the door, the "Sorry we missed you" sticker was already there!!! He had no intention of delivery that dang wheel. When I opened the door he looked seriously surprised (at being caught in his, um, error). "OH, I'll have to go get that now." Ya think, you dumb ****?!

UPS is also the same idiots who will sometimes put the packages in the back yard by the service door to the garage instead of on the garden bench that they have to pass by to put them on the friggin' ground. I don't mind that they have to enter the fence to put them back there, but who puts something on the ground instead of up on a table? We had to re-order brake lines because the dog got hold of a package I didn't know had been delivered and used it and the contents for a chew toy!

I really dislike UPS.

Oh, and in response to the OP, it can take a day or two for UPS to get physical possession of the goods. They won't have any info until they have possession.

Classic story at my family - a couple of years ago FedEx "delivered" an OtterBox shell for my phone. I checked everywhere for it and finally contacted OtterBox stating that it never arrived. Nine months later when I was filling up my galvanized salt bucket on the front step I found the FedEx package...in the bucket.

Moral to the story? They all sometimes suck and sometimes rock.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I have used UPS five days a week for about 12 years. They have made about 3 minor mistakes in that time. I am very satisfied with that record.

As for USPS... Well don't get me started.

st33da

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Greenfield
    I purchased a 60" tv online from Sams Club and they sent if from Texas via FedEx. I paid attention to the estimated delivery date and ensured I was home to receive the package. As it got later on in the day I figured I would check the tracking info to see if there was a complication or if they rescheduled the deliver for whatever reason. Much to my surprise it was marked as deliverd and the driver did not even ring my door bell. He simply left the giant box on my front porch for the whole world to see. I simply couldn't believe it. I went ahead and brought it inside and took the tv out of the box and gave it a quick visual inspection. Everything looked good so I went ahead and mounted my hanging mount to the back of it and got it on the wall. Turned it on and wouldn't ya know it, the screen was broken on the inside but when turned off you could not tell. I called Sams Club and they put in a ticket for FedEx to come pickup the defective tv and promptly sent out a new tv, again via FedEx. After speaking with Sams Club I took the time to call FedEx and express my concern about the driver leaving the tv on my porch and not even bothering to ring the door bell that was less than 2 feet away. I got a typical reply and they said they had notated my address in their system and all future deliveries my door bell would be rung. Well a different delivery driver came and picked up the damaged tv and apologized for everything. Fast forward to about 5 days later, again I had made arrangements to be home for the delivery of the tv. Same thing happened with the same lazy delivery driver. He left it on my porch and didnt ring the door bell. The box looked rather beat up as well so I was concerned that this tv was also damaged. Luckily it was not and works great. I did take time to place yet another phone call to FedEx about them just leaving it on my porch and was told that the issue is with a particular driver and they could not help me but to expect a call from a manager at the local FedEx hub. I thought they were just blowing me off with empty promises but a manager did promptly call me within the same day. She informed me that I had been basically lied to and that they do no notate addresses with special delivery instructions unless specified by the sender. She did agree that it was in poor judgement to leave the big tv on my front porch and apologized. Ever since this happened I have actively tired to avoid using FedEx when possible.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I have sent 157 shipments via USPS priority mail this year, 402 shipments via USPS priority mail for 2013, and 351 shipments via USPS priority mail for 2012. All shipments have arrived successfully within 2-3 working days. After reading so many USPS horror stories in this thread, I am convinced I am one lucky fellow.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have sent 157 shipments via USPS priority mail this year, 402 shipments via USPS priority mail for 2013, and 351 shipments via USPS priority mail for 2012. All shipments have arrived successfully within 2-3 working days. After reading so many USPS horror stories in this thread, I am convinced I am one lucky fellow.

I have no problems with packages sent USPS, but getting my mail on a daily basis is another story.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    UPS delivers dozens of packages every day to my shop, and maybe once a year do we have any kind of issue with something being lost or just not delivered. Our driver is a great guy and has many years of service with UPS, so I guess that makes a big difference as well. My UPS guy that delivers to my home does a great job. too.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    QFT. (Emphasis mine)

The tracking number is generated as soon as the shipping label is (by the vendor, aka, "your uncle"). UPS will have no info until they actually receive the package and scan it in to their system.

By your logic, your uncle "sucks" and you should "never do business" with him either.

No, by your logic, you suck.

My Uncle took the packages TO UPS and they scanned and labeled it there. UPS had the packages...still no tracking yet...by now they've probably lost them.

So, feel free to go flea yourself in the alley.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Class, Class, I have worked for Fed Ex, and UPS.... You SHOULD have the same driver EVERY DAY..... Fed Ex, are Contractors, they either Buy a Route, or work for the person, that owns that route.....

UPS, are Union, I am NOT going to comment on that, BUT, UPS, also assigns routes, and, AFAIK, the driver runs the same route everyday.....

The reason why, so the STUPID Dumb@$$ driver doesn't get confused .....

The people that are complaining about Fed Ex, leaving your package on the neighbors porch.....

They are TRAINED to do this .....

They are required, to attempt delivery, 3 times, leaving a note on the front door.... There should be a number to call....

So you can make "special arrangements", to get your package. You can even have it left at one of those Fed Ex "stores", and you can pick it up, after you get off work .....

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Here's a beaut...my wife is expecting an important package shipped to her via USPS Priority Mail. So when I get home I see the mail man pull up to our mailbox, which is about 40 feet from our front door. He stuffs the mail in the box, and I see him write something down and put it in the mailbox and drive off. I tell my wife the mail man just came and she runs out to the box looking for her package. Instead what she finds is a little pink form that says they attempted delivery but we didn't answer the door. She needs to go to the PO tomorrow and sign for it. The lazy bastich never got out of his vehicle, and never once tried to deliver the package. So she calls the post office....perpetual busy signal for over an hour...she's pissed and gets in the car and drives to the post office, files a complaint, and finds out the driver isn't back from his route yet, they tell her to come back in another hour. So she goes back, gets her package, and the lying sack of crap stands there and lies to her face about coming to the door and not getting an answer.

The USPS must be taking lessons from the UPS.

Top Bottom