Never thought I'd get here. Done buying guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Competitive shooting can really drive the need to have more firearms. At one time I had five different .45 handguns that were all modified for the competitive class I wanted to participate. Of course it took several specialty holster rigs to go with them.

Since rifle barrels wear out, I had an "A" rifle and a "B" rifle identically prepared for each kind of class, saving the best barrel for the more important competitions. Medium range and long range in both service rifle and match rifle class makes 8 rifles needed.

Traditional shotgun competition is just stupid for expensive guns. I ran my first 50 in a row with a beat up Mossberg 500 field gun, so $10,000 more is not required. but is still seems to happen. Once you are doing that shooting for a while, the Beretta, Perazzi, Kreighoff, Caesar Guerini, beauties end up in your hands. Then you start needing some very expensive engraving, just because.

Once you can afford a large enough safe, you have room to collect. There becomes a pull to fill it up for not practical purpose. It is a slippery slope, and all that can save you is being broke.

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    You need to get into other guns, this happened to me about two years ago. I love shooting but going to the range 1-2X a week and blowing out the X ring every time on every target was getting boring. Started shooting clays with shotguns and have not looked back, my only mistake is shotguns make 1911s/2011s look freaking cheap.
    I've been into other guns. Got bored and sold them all. Gave a really nice old SxS 12guage to a neighbor. Sold Mossberg 590 and 2 rifles 'cuz I just don't need them. Sold 1911s after shooting a G21.4. My recent penchant for revolvers stems from two things: I grew up shooting S&W revolvers, and the very light triggers on striker-fired guns is something I would never carry. Bought and sold: P365, P365XL, P320. I used to shoot/carry 1911, and was comfortable with a gun with a short-stroke, light trigger pull if: it came with a thumb safety, a grip safety, and a firing pin safety. I know... old school. Revolvers, and Kahr, offer a modicum of safety I am comfortable with. A long, relatively heavy, trigger pull. The G21 is the only striker fired gun I own. It is a night stand/house gun that lives in my nightstand, always ready at Condition 2. Full magazine in the gun, two more at the ready, empty chamber. Two 100# dogs that sleep in the room with me (us), and bark at everything will give me sufficient time to chamber a round.

I keep myself interested by buying/testing/deciphering the problems with cheap guns. See my editorials about SCCY CPX-2, Charter Arms Off Duty, Kahr CM9, Taurus 856. Now that I've tested/shot/verified my current crop as reliable, I intend to spend some time working the 'DOT TORTURE TEST' (https://www.guns.com/news/review/tr...ts-will-test-your-skills-and-push-your-limits). Of course, it will be a modified version, considering I'll be doing at Range USA. No firing from holster allowed. Keeping 50 rounds in 2-inch circles, with revolvers will be challenging enough to hold my interest. I plan to start at 3 yards.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Competitive shooting can really drive the need to have more firearms. At one time I had five different .45 handguns that were all modified for the competitive class I wanted to participate. Of course it took several specialty holster rigs to go with them.

Since rifle barrels wear out, I had an "A" rifle and a "B" rifle identically prepared for each kind of class, saving the best barrel for the more important competitions. Medium range and long range in both service rifle and match rifle class makes 8 rifles needed.

Traditional shotgun competition is just stupid for expensive guns. I ran my first 50 in a row with a beat up Mossberg 500 field gun, so $10,000 more is not required. but is still seems to happen. Once you are doing that shooting for a while, the Beretta, Perazzi, Kreighoff, Caesar Guerini, beauties end up in your hands. Then you start needing some very expensive engraving, just because.

Once you can afford a large enough safe, you have room to collect. There becomes a pull to fill it up for not practical purpose. It is a slippery slope, and all that can save you is being broke.
    Well, that is a new twist: competition. I am assuming that means there will be people present. People are the reason I own guns in the first place. Only slightly kidding.

Pretty sure I could afford a larger safe. At 67, with a home I own free & clear, still working full-time, full-time employed wife, and collecting a decent federal pension, I'm doing OK. Affording a safe, and actually wanting one, or something to put into it, are two entirely different critters.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I find it funny that I've never owned a 30-30 Winchester rifle, but I have loads of 30-30 brass just for that reason.

I have some 30-30s, but prefer to shoot 32-40 and 32 WS. I've had better luck with 32 caliber stuff and cast bullets than 30 caliber.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Well, that is a new twist: competition. I am assuming that means there will be people present. People are the reason I own guns in the first place. Only slightly kidding.

Pretty sure I could afford a larger safe. At 67, with a home I own free & clear, still working full-time, full-time employed wife, and collecting a decent federal pension, I'm doing OK. Affording a safe, and actually wanting one, or something to put into it, are two entirely different critters.

A safe is a good investment.

Reactions: Leo

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Everyone needs at least one AR just to PO Joe and Kamala
    There I fixed it for you…
    You are implying that either one of them can think for themselves. Good democrats don't think; they just do what they are told. I think the common term is: sheep. Please see COVID stupidity of the last several years.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Lately, I've been "thinnin' the herd" of toys I haven't used in a while, but yet still have a few items I would like to acquire in this lifetime...at least 3 items that are solid 'wants' that are compatible in calibers that I already use! Thinning but improving...

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    As someone who owns more 1911s than I care to admit plus 11 22s I can’t offer much advice on owning duplicates of anything. I can’t imagine not dreaming of the next one though

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Lately, I've been "thinnin' the herd" of toys I haven't used in a while, but yet still have a few items I would like to acquire in this lifetime...at least 3 items that are solid 'wants' that are compatible in calibers that I already use! Thinning but improving...
    I've told my sons, I want to be at my own auction... It's all stuff I want.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm with you. Owned and shot everything there is. Sold it all off due to current prices. Pushed me out of the sport. I'm done for good.

Top Bottom