• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I bought some Hirtenbeger. 223 a few years ago and the primers came out and jammed
    My AR...they're supposed to be top notch.Some ammo problems are unforeseeable ...
    even unavoidable. Putting a.44 in a 45 is not.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Many safeguards were broken. Yes manufacturer too. Aswell the shooter should have checked his ammo if indeed he did shoot a 44 in a 45. You should always double check. Thats basic indiana hunter safety

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Any thoughts on your own reloads. Is it worth the time and trouble?

In my experience, yes it is worth it. To me, I can shoot more accurately for less money. I just started in January and I've already made money compared to before I started reloading. I cut my ammo costs by roughly 50% when you factor in the equip cost. But I also shoot a lot. I also find it surprisingly relaxing to do. It actually helps me clear my mind by focusing on getting my rounds as consistent as possible.

I've had way more issues with factory ammo than I care to remember but none with my reloads. Now I do not buy reloads and I only shoot my own.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    To the OP, you did lump reloads as junk because of one round, read this thread and tell me what I should be telling people about factory ammo.

If I consider all reloads or reloading junk I dont think I would have spent the money on my dillon progressive setup. Tell people what you want to tell them about factory ammo. All I can say is I have never had one problem in all my years of shooting so should I lie about my own personal expeirence just because others have had trouble. I acknowledge factory ammo can and does have issues Ive never encountered any.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I bought some Hirtenbeger. 223 a few years ago and the primers came out and jammed
    My AR...they're supposed to be top notch.Some ammo problems are unforeseeable ...
    even unavoidable. Putting a.44 in a 45 is not.

It is a problem when the box was sold as 45 colt not 44 mag.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Look, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bashing reloaders is a necessary evil for the reloaded ammo scorned. But don't lump us all together. Some of us make some damn fine ammo.
    I have been reloading for over 30 years... This doesn't mean I am an EXPERT, just a LOT of experience... the WORST, I have done, is stick a round in a barrel, due to lack of powder... I READ a lot, and I now, and have since that happened, check my loading block, with a light, and make SURE, I have powder in EVERY case... I also can see the level of powder, in each case. If I think something is wrong, I just dump the powder into my trusty scale, and check the weight... I also have fired a .44 Mag., in my .45 Ruger Blackhawk, it definately went bang, and I couldn't believe the recoil, I found the evidence, AFTER I unloaded the revolver... Been too long ago, to remember how I aquired the ammo... I also bought some brass, at the 1500, some time ago, and found some .300 Mag. brass in with the .308, and took it back the next show, and the guy traded me for .308 brass, I still buy, from this gentleman, because of his CUSTOMER SERVICE .....

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    They sold you a box of ammo but you loaded them one at a time...

Say what you want but grabbing a handful of rounds and loading them into a cylinder in a fairly fast manner and you arent even gonna notice the difference in a 45 colt and a 44mag.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    why rush? safety is number 1.

Fairly fast means i grab a handful of rounds and drop one in the cylinder turn and repeat until the cyliner is full with out pausing and taking 30 seconds in between every one. Can really load a single action revolver that fast anyways.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Okay, I went to review this story from the beginning and im wondering, is anyone else having trouble following this "story?"

No Im blaming the fact that I purchased these from a store and they were labled 45 colt and somehow a 44 mag got in the bag. I made a mistake by not checking them but we all make mistakes I was just sharing an expierence I had so maybe others could learn from it. Im sure you have never made a mistake and are perfect right?

Yea at least ten years ago.

First he says he bought a box/bag of reloads from a local mom and pop store some ten years ago.

Then when called out on his age, he claims his "father" bought the ammo.

Well if you hadnt spent so much time over thinking yourself everything would be fine. The ammo and firearm was purchased by my father. So you can stop playing detective and take a breath. You was "that" kid in school who snitched on anyone doing something wrong werent you.

So I'm not questioning that it happened but is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? With a bag of ammo from 10+yrs ago, allegedly bought by someone else and given to the shooter, what are the chances that this 44 Mag got in the bag AFTER it left the store? My guess is that the answer would be a greater chance of that happening in a ziplock bag of ammo.

Also, If I'm not mistaken, the 44 mag would be slightly loose in the cylinder, would it not expand after it went off to the 45 Colt case size? I'm kind of curious if it would or not. If so, I'd love to see a picture of it in a micrometer

Last edited:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Okay, I went to review this story from the beginning and im wondering, is anyone else having trouble following this "story?"

All I'm getting out of this is that about 10 years back, he loaded a .44 Mag into his .45 Colt, and now everyone that's ever bought reloads is stupid.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    All I'm getting out of this is that about 10 years back, he loaded a .44 Mag into his .45 Colt, and now everyone that's ever bought reloads is stupid.
    don't forget the reputations of ALL of us who do reload ammunition that just got slammed as well. :n00b:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    So I'm not questioning that it happened but is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? With a bag of ammo from 10+yrs ago, allegedly bought by someone else and given to the shooter, what are the chances that this 44 Mag got in the bag AFTER it left the store? My guess is that the answer would be a greater chance of that happening in a ziplock bag of ammo.

Also, If I'm not mistaken, the 44 mag would be slightly loose in the cylinder, would it not expand after it went off to the 45 Colt case size? I'm kind of curious if it would or not. If so, I'd love to see a picture of it in a micrometer

The ammo was shot directly after being purchased I didnt wait ten years to shoot it. Someone asked when it had happened it was about ten years ago when it all happened. I will try to find the case I have it laying around the house somewhere it did swell up and split from the mouth of the case to about 3/4 length of the brass. I had to take a screw driver and hammer to get it out of the cylinder. The guns ejector rod wasnt gonna cut it. If I find it Ill post the pic.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012

Nope you got it all wrong I only blame the people the ammo was bought from and myself for not inspecting the ammo.

Top Bottom