• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    So got a new glock 23 yesterday, and took it out back today to do some shooting, to clarify i have 1 acre in the backyard and a 6ft hill used as a backstop, with the bottom being dug out and reinforced with steel plates in the dirt as well. there is a horse farm about 2 acres behind my property,( no horses were outside all in the barn and way out of my distance for shooting). and about 10 after I started I noticed the neighbor was out and taking pictures of my yard and me shooting. I didnt think much of it until the sheriff dept. banged on my door. I answered politely and was greeted by a captain of the sheriffs dept. who informed me Im not aloud to shoot on my property and that if i did i would be fined, I then asked if he would like to go out on my property and see my range, he informed me he didnt need to see it because the neighbors had already told him about my set up. He was very rude and when i enformed him that Im a military police officer and that I know firearms safety, he laughed and said so your one of those guys, told me if I shoot again the DNR would be called and I would receive a hefty fine and got in his car and left, sad part is the neighbors have had an electric fence on my property line for about 2 years that hangs over on my side and I have not once asked them to fix it. ( I cant let my 2 yr old play in the yard because of it). Some people just dont get it.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    WoW, sorry to hear about that, so what are you going to do? I thought it was leagle to shoot on ones own property, if you have the proper set-up which it sounds like you do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :popcorn:

Do you live out in the "country" or withing a city/town/subdivision? What would the fine be for?

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Are you in a city limit? does the bullets leave your property?How far away from the next home? You live in a high Liberal Democrat area lol? Check on local laws,if your legal SHOOT ANYWAY.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    we live about 8 miles out of the city limits, if the officer wouldve actually went out back with me I wouldve showed him the backstop, I only shot about 20 rounds and couldve dug up the steel plate and showed him 20 dents, but apparently he is friends with the neighbor, according to our other neighbor these people call the cops for everything, yet they have about 15 cars sitting in their field, junk all over the place and the electric fence, I could be wrong but I always thought that if you put up and electric fence you had to have it 6 ft off the property line or have something in between it.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Man, that sucks when you have neighbors that just don't want to get along. Good luck. Think about calling the DNR yourself and checking out his assertion? He may just be trying to intimidate you to placate your neighbor.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    There are so many things I would do. First thing though, if the fence is containing animals, file that it be moved and you will put up a fence to guard your family from it. 8 ft is legal here...check your info for county zoning BS.

I would also contact the sherrif's deputy and file a complaint. You can't be forced to stop unless it's a direct violation or is deemed unsafe.

Then I would call the DNR. You aren't on "state" property...so I don't know what that yay-hoo is talking about.

In case you missed it. NFA fund. Or tannerite the fence :)

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    No matter what be the cool one. No bad words ,no inflamation,best to ignore & do your thing. But watch what you do ,the sorry cop could come and bust you ,take your guns,fine you ,court to get guns back ,it CAN get ugly,He can do that,wrongful arrests happen all the time ,you'll be found not guilty ,but what trouble YOU will go through! Contact OTHER law enforcement and tell them what happened,get their help,it may be all is nessessary,word gets around in police circles,that friend cop of your neighbor mitght be told to back down.[ie;Sheriff]

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    tomorrow's shooting event will consist of about 75 rounds spread out throughout the day every other hour until i get tired of sqeezing the trigger which mostlikely will never happen.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    O ya my wife happens to be a dispatcher for the city dept. so she called the county and got the officers info, tomorrow's shooting event will consist of about 75 rounds spread out throughout the day every other hour, the officer will get tired of being called and hopefully give up, if not the fence will be coming up thursday.

Good for you!:yesway:

Top Bottom