• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    If handed an unchecked gun...ALWAYS visually and physically inspect the chamber to make sure it is clear.

I was at the 1500 in the 90's, when a vendor (guys name was Danny, will never forget it) was explaining the wonder of the H&K P7 "Squeeze Cocker". After demonstrating how it wouldn't fire without squeezing, he exclaimed "all you have to do is sqeeze and pull the"....BANG! 9mm through the ceiling.

He's very lucky it was aimed at the ceiling.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Just wondering why you're taking a position against a bubba from BFE, seems that's my location beiber. What I have noticed is that if you live in the BFE and handle guns most of your life, less bad things happen, because you get smacked on the bottom for bad muzzle discipline just with toy guns, like I'm doing to my bubba son that is only 21 months old. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the beiber. Dang city slicker flatlanders!

Having lived in BFE as well as "the metro" as you call it, I have seen more idiots when it comes to guns from BFE folk than from the city. I recall a guy that was resting his wrist over the barrel of his muzzleloader and "fiddling" with the trigger to pass the time...ended up blowing his wrist almost clean off. It seems like BFE folks tend to be more non-chalant around guns, compared to city folk who tend to have a more"power based respect" for them...I don't know what a "bieber" is,(the boy singer?) Or how that makes sense as an insult, but these are my experiences. Idiots aren't contained by their area code.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If handed an unchecked gun...ALWAYS visually and physically inspect the chamber to make sure it is clear.

I was at the 1500 in the 90's, when a vendor (guys name was Danny, will never forget it) was explaining the wonder of the H&K P7 "Squeeze Cocker". After demonstrating how it wouldn't fire without squeezing, he exclaimed "all you have to do is sqeeze and pull the"....BANG! 9mm through the ceiling.

He's very lucky it was aimed at the ceiling.

Long hair Danny? Lol... The P7 is one of the safest pistols ever made, saved a friends life once, but if you pull the trigger with the front strap squeezed it's gonna fire. I saw a guy load a mag into the gun and squeeze it to release the slide and load a round but his finger was on the trigger.... BAM!!!!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    The show Pawn Stars is horrible when it comes to safe handling. Every time the bald guy is handed a gun he points it at the customer. Last show I watched he continuously pointed a pistol at a little girls face.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I returned to an auction over in Illinois this past fri to pickup a shotgun that I was the winning bidder for. The dipshi^ FFL guy pulled the gun off the rack and started checking model and serial numbers and waived that muzzle across me multple time. I literally started ducking and giving off the evil eye. He acted like he didnt know what I was doing. When he handed me the shotgun I cleared it and immediately stuck it in my gun case. Signed on the line and dated and got out of there!

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I was at my LGS a week or so ago in an aisle looking through the glass at the items. A guy further down the aisle was handed a pistol over the counter and i kept hearing the clerk say "dont point it that way, now dont point it at him, dont walk away from the counter" and by this time the look on the guys face was epic. He was spinning in circles not sure what to do with himself and the gun in his hands. He quickly gave the gun back to the clerk and left. It was probably the first time he had ever held a firearm. Poor fella, lol.

fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    I was at my LGS a week or so ago in an aisle looking through the glass at the items. A guy further down the aisle was handed a pistol over the counter and i kept hearing the clerk say "dont point it that way, now dont point it at him, dont walk away from the counter" and by this time the look on the guys face was epic. He was spinning in circles not sure what to do with himself and the gun in his hands. He quickly gave the gun back to the clerk and left. It was probably the first time he had ever held a firearm. Poor fella, lol.

Poor guys. Keep in mind that several people are probably at gun counters that have never even picked up a firearm before. :dunno:

TWS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Ferdinand
    A veteran gun store owner shot past his head and into the ceiling at one of our lgs, installing a scope on a customer long gun. He slipped up one time and it nearly cost him his life. The hole remains with a sign by it as a reminder. Never can be too careful

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    I love a good local death merchant that doesnt trust you. I understand they get some customers in there that are full retard, but dont treat everyone like that. Some of use do know some ****. And most of the time more than the salesman/woman.
    I've seen many, many, many salesmen at LGS's handle weapons like it was the first time they found their peter. Waving it everywhere, finger all over the place. Just full retard mode.

Someone was talking about McGalliard Guns. The first week they opened I went in there to have a look around, test the waters. Long story short they tried to convience me that .303
    didnt exist. I was pretty dissapointed to hear they don't clean the firearms after receiving them (pvt sale). You can't expect people to buy a rifle if it looks like its been sitting in pig **** for 2 years. I know this isn't a ***** about LGS thread, but ****, practice what you preach.

Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.8%
    80   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Was at a lgs just yesterday and while talking to me, the owner was pointing the barrel of the gun he was holding at my stomach. I'd move left or right and he kept turning to face me, and the barrel kept following, lol! I didn't want to embarrass him but I finally politely asked him to quit using me as a bore sight :)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Recently at a LGS in Fort Wayne, an older guy came in with his Marlin 60 tube fed .22. He said he had a round stuck in the chamber that he couldn't get out. While I was looking at some items at the other end of the counter I turned around and sure enough, there it was pointed right at me. I told them "hey how about we don't point that at me". The customer waved the loading rod for the tube in the air and said "it's ok, I have this out". What a jackwagon. He also stated that the rifle had not been out of the safe in like 15 years, he should have kept it in there, for his safety and mine.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    My question. If someone clears a gun in front of you and hands it to you do you clear the gun again?

As i have taught the youngsters..EVERY gun is loaded. I dont care dear sweet granny just handed you the gun...it IS loaded until YOU open the action and verify its unloaded....then leave the action open and STILL treat it as if its loaded.

So, should I have said something? Something like, "Please watch your muzzle," or maybe
    "Stop pointing that gun at me," or maybe, "If you point that gun at me again I'm going assume we're in a gunfight"?

Say "you are forgetting the first commandment of firearms safety!!"

What the first commandment??

Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded. PERIOD! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Complacency of the commandments causes ND's and death!

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded. PERIOD! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Complacency of the commandments causes ND's and death!

+1 This^^^^^^^^^^

I find it interesting how there are those who say "I know what I'm doing". Yet, eventually they have a ND and someone is hurt. Being knowledgeable about firearms does not excuse anyone from following the 4 commandments of safety.

I once heard a firearms instructor say...in a lifetime of firearms use...it's not a matter of "if" you will have a ND...it's a matter of "when". With that in mind, all 4 of the commandments must be followed at all times. If you do, then at least no one will get hurt when that ND happens.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    A few weeks ago I had a negligent moment in a gun store. I was cheacking out a Benelli Supernova and it came home with me. I really didnt have the money to buy it and ended up eating grilled cheese and soup for a couple days. :D

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I'm a huge stickler for muzzle safety, I got into firearms when I was a kid but it was on my own curiosity, my father is blind, he was blinded as a teenager because his friend was supposed to unload his hunting 22lr before they left to go hunt tree rat as he calls them, his friend upon arriving at the hunting location proceeded to unload the firearms from the car and strafed my dad who was in the front seat his friend's rifle went off and my dad lost his eyes, my dad was 16 and this was in 1957. Anyway there were never any firearms in the house growing up until I told him I wanted a BB gun at ten and he told me the story, then he incuraged me to get one and taught me everything his father taught him about safety. One thing ill never forget is he said do not even trust a friend with a firearm if he is handling it in a unsafe manner and always treat it like its loaded, Because you never know. That stuck with me all my life.

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    This is such an irritating topic. I know it may or may not be their responsibility, but I was impressed at one LGS when the employee tactfully asked someone he had passed a handgun to to take their finger off the trigger and point it in a safe direction or he would not be able to handle them. Usually you don't see that. Hopefully those individuals will retain that through learning or embarrassment.

Fingers on triggers, flagging, clips?, bullets?. more....training....needed....:n00b:

Top Bottom