Need suggestions (a unique "what gun" post)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Anyone mention a GyroJet yet? No? Anyone? :dunno:

I like the Browning HiPower suggestion. Kind of unique, good history.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Of course any gun that I don't own is JUNK or I'd have it! ;)

OP, I really don't think there is one gun that will suit both needs for best carry and best range gun. Most preferred carry guns are going to be on the lighter, narrow, small side with short barrels that satisfy carry needs but may lack desired longer distance accuracy at the range. You need both.

My 2 carry guns are a Sig P938 and a Kimber Ultra CDP II. But for the range I shoot my M&P9C and my newest acquisition, a classic Beretta 92FS. I love the way the 92FS feels and shoots and there's no doubt in my mind that after some practice, it will become my all-time favorite range shooter but I would consider it too heavy and too large for my needs to conceal effectively. It's reputation proceeds it as far as accuracy is concerned. I also have a virgin S&W stainless 5" 1911 that I might take out and shoot this year.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm not really needing a range gun. I guess that's my issue. I have my full size M&P that is fun to shoot at the range, but is really not carryable. i'd like a G19 sized pistol that's just more unique. I think that's why i'm gravitating to the LH9. overall dimensions are close, H~LH9 - 4.92, G19-4.99, L~LH9-7.5, G19-7.36, W~LH9-1.32, G19-1.18. it's really the only uniqueish gun i've found in that size range. most 15 round firearms are closer to or are full size. I dont have anything against a full size pistol.... i just already have one. maybe I just dont know what i want. or, as is more likely... i want everything.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Walther PPQ is nearly identical in size to a Glock 19. Little bit longer in the grip, but the grip is curved at the heel.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    The PPQ looks horribly thick in display cases. i have yet to get to touch one. i have heard it's got an awesome trigger, though

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    looking at the numbers, you're right. it is close. about as close as the LH9. must just be the shape that makes it look large.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The PPQ looks horribly thick in display cases. i have yet to get to touch one. i have heard it's got an awesome trigger, though

Nope. I own both. Very similar thickness. I also own a full size M&P. Honestly all three guns are very similar in size. I wouldn't hesitate to carry any of them.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    As others have said, the PPQ is just plain awesome! I have been an outspoken M&P guy since they first came to market, but the PPQ just has to be shot to be believed.

I went with the 5" version so that I could port the barrel to match the slide, but that is just me. Here is mine and the "unique" gun that would fit your request...

Dirty slide, but you can see the barrel ports.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I got to shoot a students 5" PPQ in class. At 15 yards it grouped as good as a Wilson Combat 1911. I was blown away. My wife ended up buying a 4" model for herself. Still have not shot it enough to really test it out but appears to be spot on. I have a first gen P99 that is easily one of the most accurate plastic guns I have ever shot.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    not to derail the PPQ talk, but how about the CZ PO-7? i've always heard great things about CZ, i mean, there were some mentioned earlier here. but it's unique, good price, good capacity, good size (a little thick). i want to go window shopping tomorrow, think i'll put it on the short list with the PPQ

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    not to derail the PPQ talk, but how about the CZ PO-7? i've always heard great things about CZ, i mean, there were some mentioned earlier here. but it's unique, good price, good capacity, good size (a little thick). i want to go window shopping tomorrow, think i'll put it on the short list with the PPQ

I have heard nothing and seen nothing but good about CZ products.

The HK VP9 would be another to consider

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I got to shoot a students 5" PPQ in class. At 15 yards it grouped as good as a Wilson Combat 1911. I was blown away. My wife ended up buying a 4" model for herself. Still have not shot it enough to really test it out but appears to be spot on. I have a first gen P99 that is easily one of the most accurate plastic guns I have ever shot.

The 5" PPQ is very nice and very accurate. It also has one of the nicest triggers of any striker fired pistol. I have one and love it, but need the cash and am selling it. Had to put in a shameless plug:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns-pistols-revolvers/378245-walther-ppq-5-9mm.html

I know you're in Lafayette Work, but we could figure something out if you were interested.

The P-07 / P-09 pistols are very nice. I've shot both and liked them, though I preferred the P-09. Both are great shooters and reasonably priced, plus you could upgrade them to be even nicer shooters.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    The Walther PPQ is a really sweet shooter, cant keep ours out of my girlfriends hand. LOL. She absolutely loves it and it is one of the nicest triggers on a polymer gun out there. Also had the H&K VP9 really sweet also, but I would possibly put the CZs in the mix to. Just had a P09 worked with and with the CGW goodies installed is flat out awesome! Even without the upgrades is hard to beat, P07 should be at the FFL today to pick up. LOL.psyko

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    So i made the decision and ended up purchasing this a couple weeks ago, but wanted to get it to the range before I posted it so I could deny having done it if it was horrible ;-)

I went a little left of center, instead of the mainstream PPQ or VP9 etc. I went out and picked up a CZ P07, and man, is that thing awesome!

It fit my criteria, 9mm, good carry size, unique. and a great price, to boot. I love the thing. I shoot well with i, it carrys nice, and i love the way the thing looks.

thanks again everyone for your help. I know I didnt take much of the specific gun advice directly, but it all led me to my eventual purchase of a firearm that I love. so thanks again, INGO!

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    No one throws out the Ruger SR9? I have seen a lot of good reviews on it lately. Many guys saying they prefer this over the glock

Top Bottom