• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Let me start by saying that I carry, and like, a 1911 Government. However, that does not mean that I necessarily recommend it to others.

Each individual is different. A "full size" handgun like my 1911 may not suit you. It's a highly effective manstopper, but there are other considerations.

As others have pointed out, a handgun that you carry for self defense is going to have to be something you can shoot effectively. There are a couple of factors in that. One is that most self defense shootings happen at very close range. You don't need to be able to make 500 yard sniper shots for self defense use. Countering that, however, is that self defense encounters where one might use a gun tend to be very intense. The kind of shooting one can do against paper targets at the range is quite a bit different from what you can do when the target is trying to hurt you and you're so scared that your sphincters won't hold and your hands are shaking like a salsa dancer's rear end.

It doesn't matter how great the gun is that you miss with.

Another factor is the size, weight, and comfort of the gun. A gun that's the perfect "manstopper" but is so uncomfortable to carry that you find yourself making excuses for not carrying "this time" is one that does you no good. A gun that you want to carry for self defense is one that you will carry every time. It is for that reason that my 1911 isn't my only carry gun. It is a larger gun and there are some circumstances where it's just impractical to carry. As a result, I have a much smaller gun (Kel Tec P-3AT) that I can carry in circumstances where I have to leave the 1911 at home (or in the car). Choice of holster has a lot to do with that--and expect to acquire a drawer full of holsters in the quest for that perfect fit--but the size and shape of the gun itself does matter.

It doesn't matter how great the gun you don't have with you is.

As far as what the gun shoots is concerned, yes, caliber matters. A .45 ACP is going to be more likely to be effective (given the same shot placement) than a .25 ACP. (.25 ACP--for people who find .22 LR too scary powerful.) There is, however, a lot of range in what is effective self defense and opinions vary on the "minimum" adequate self defense round. Many people, IMO, worry too much about "stopping power" in the sense of ending the fight with one round. My own philosophy is more of the "keep shooting until the threat stops being a threat."

It's great if you can carry, shoot, and hit your target with a .45 ACP, or a .44 Magnum, or a .500 Smith & Wesson, or an .88 Magnum ("it shoots through schools." "This goes through armor, through the victim, the wall, through a tree out side" ;)). But if those don't work for you as something to carry or shoot, then a .40 S&W, or a 9 mm, or even a .380 ACP will do the job if you do yours. For that matter, if you feel uncomfortable with anything more powerful, a .32 S&W Long can also serve. (Hey, it was good enough for Paul Kersey ;))

The upshot is that you have to find something that you will be comfortable shooting regularly and carrying every day. Within those strictures, you can then look at size and power. And you may find that the "right" answer for you is more than one gun--a "basic" gun for normal use and one or more "special purpose" guns for situations where the "basic" gun won't fit.

One thing I would suggest is trying as many guns as you can. Go to ranges that have rentals and try different things. Get together with other folk who shoot (if you're in the Indy area, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to go shooting with you and let you try my various handguns: 1911, P-3AT, CZ75B, even a little Jennings .22, Cobra FS, and Nagant revolver). The more hands on experience you have with various handguns, the better off you'll be when you select your own.

Hope this helps.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    You can narrow your search down in half by NOT choosing a mouse gun. I would ONLY recommend 158gr .38+P or 147gr 9mm capable as a minimum carry. I prefer 180 gr ONLY .40s&w as my EDC and .45acp sometimes, just because I love my 1911's:dunno:. All my carry sidearms strictly carry tactical or bonded ammo - not the fancy named crap produced with a gazillion $$$ in advertising backing it up.

Remember, If you carry and have to draw and fire, you want to
    IMMEDIATELY STOP THE THREAT. You only have one life, so why even consider trusting it to an inferior and underpowered cartridge?

What ever your decision, start a loving relationship with your sidearm. Practice, train, Use quality tactical or bonded ammo, and lastly - DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR HOLSTER. A high quality holster such as TTgunleather, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, DM Bullard, etc will allow you to carry all day long comfortable. You know what happens when your not comfortable, you leave your sidearm at home.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Try as many as possible and don't get caught up in the caliber hype. You're going to hear lots of well-meaning cliches: "Don't buy nuttin' that don't start with a "4!"

In general you want to carry:
    - The gun with the largest caliber that you can effectively bring back on target VERY quickly for followup shots, which means recoil you are comfortable with handling.
    - The gun with the greatest capacity that is still comfortable enough that you will actually carry it and not leave it at home.

It must be reliable, comfortable, accurate at combat ranges, controllable, and affordable to your budget. Only you will be able to determine that based on trying guns at a range.

For my urban carry needs that choice tends to be single-stacks (lower capacity but slimmer for comfortable/consistent carry) in 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger or .45ACP on my hip or in waist band (holster.) In my pocket? A .380 or 9mm Mak.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Not totally for sure yet. I just can't make up my mind. So much to choose from and I'm sure when I find the right one I'l know it. I really want a pocket gun, and then some other part of me wants to carry more of a full-sized pistol. I really like the size and feel of several different .38's I've looked at. I really like the s&w's and some of the taurus revolvers as well. I like the lightweight feel these guns offer and the size as well. I'm pretty sure that I will most likely wind up purchasing a .38 but am still really interested in full-sized as well.

A S&W 642 revolver is always in my front pocket. It sits in a Galco Pocket Holster and is stoked with 135gr. +P Gold Dot hollow points. I don't go to bars or gangbanger clubs, so I'm comfortable with the five shot capacity. The best thing about this setup?......it's always with me.:cool:

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    XD Subcompact is the best of both worlds. Small but does come with large caliber,9mm and 40 snw. Glock 26 and 27 are the subcompacts from glock. 26 being the 9 and 27 being the 40. However, if you plan on campus carry, I would go with an LCP p3at. Slip it in your bikini underwear and ur good to go, no smart carry required :P I would advice a pocket holster.

jimbojr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    SE MI
    You are going to get a lot of replies that basically say:

First choose a weapon that you can shoot effectively. It does no good to have a large caliber handgun if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. (cut to movie Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, to scene where Harley miss bad guy and shoots Marlboro by mistake). Shoot as many different handguns as you can before you decide on model and caliber.

Second if you are going to CC the holster is key. Buy a good holster, be prepared to spend some bucks, don't cheap out on the holster. Please no Mexican carry. With a good holster you can CC a full size handgun.

Last - practice then train and then practice some more. You get comfortable with the weapon you are carrying and the CC life will be good.

Yes what Topdog said. Can't even add input to this 1. Even the holster part. Take your time and save for quality goods. Things are cheap "low cost" for a reason. Maybe buy used good stuff?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I really can't add anything to this thread other than to say WOW great advice from all who contributed. I would rep you all but, can't so you all :rockwoot:. To the OP have fun choosing your CC gun and make sure you post what you got and how well you like it. :draw:

JCA1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Since you like the .38s, be sure to at least check out the Ruger SP101 (see my Avatar). Not a lightweight gun, but very solid. I bought the spur-less hammer model to avoid snagging. Also, the absence of a spur avoids being accused by a lawyer of cocking the hammer and accidentally shooting someone due to a single-action "hair trigger." If a shot is fired out of my SP101, it will be no accident.

I echo the previous remarks about not skimping on the holster. I like the Galco IWB "Summer Comfort."

My standard carry gun is my Glock G19 with Trijicon 3-dot night sights, but that is definitely not a pocket gun. I am more likely to carry my Ruger in the summertime when I only have a T-shirt to conceal it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    i say go with the keltecs. Either a PF9 or a P11. You'll have to shoot my P11 over break. Theyre good pistols and can be had for cheap. I never feel outgunned with 10+1 rounds of 9mm hollowpoints ready.

Saying that, I also really like my Charter Arms off duty too. I just worry about only 5 rounds sometime, but i alos practice with it alot. PLUS SNUBBY'S ARE JUST COOL. and .38 spl is effin mean.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom