• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    You've received some real good advice in here. I personally prefer Colt 1911's in .45 caliber. I have several in different configurations. Full size for target and competition, officers and defender for carry.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Have you looked at Para and the LDA? It's a little different, but awesome. Some people don't like it and i can't say it's a beter trigger than a normal single action, but i do like it. I think i would like it for carry because there is some take-up or slack before it gets heavier, then fires. It's very easy to point, take up all the slack, then aim and squeeze the last bit(for target shooting). For carry, i like the idea of the slack or long pull of a double action: gives you some lee-way for being shaky.

On the other hand, my first 1911 will probably be a full-size Kimber or a spingfield, like a Loaded, with a standard GI model being my third choice. A Para LDA sub-compact would be awesome too though.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Calcot7 is right, when you get one 1911 you will want more.
    This is three of mine. One I don't have a photo of.

4-SALE010.jpg

4-SALE017.jpg

4-SALE014.jpg

As you can tell I prefer Colts. I've shot the Taurus and would suggest that one also.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    Why not get one from the folks that started the whole 1911 parade? You can get a nice Colt for that price range. Made in USA to boot! Colt, S&W, Kimber, any of those are gonna be tip top, and those with made in Brazil, Philippines, China are gonna be envious of you.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I prefer a 1911 with the firing pin block (which the Para has) to prevent the possibility of accidental discharge if the pistol is dropped. I know that many say the extra mechanism makes a really good trigger pull impossible...
    Doug

Kimber's Swartz safety certainly has its detractors. Nevertheless, it is a grip safety activiated firing pin block, not a trigger activiated block as is more commonly found. That fact leaves it with that crisp Kimber trigger pull we all know and love. Advantage Kimber.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    "Sell you on a 1911" or recommend a specific model? No model suggestion from me, you will find what you like if you touch enough of them. I think anyone that buys or has owned more than 3 pistols in their life has to turn to the 1911 and ask themselves what is it about this gun? John Browning, single action trigger, single stack, .45acp, cocked and locked, almost 100yr old design, most copied,....the list goes own. No one needs to convince you, ITS INEVITABLE!

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    out of all the 1911s my favorite is the Para and the Colt. thats just my personal choice though and like others have said handle as many as you can and if you can fire some of them. good luck with your decision

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    The 1911 love affair is a long one to say the least ,Its copied by almost every gun manufacturer & has a wide price range (350.00 & up to 1500.00 +) Ive been a fanboy of these pistols for almost 18 yrs & are the only guns in my collection that I wouldnt ever consider getting rid of.You can get a base model & have it worked on by a reputable gunsmith ,install drop in parts yourself or get a good to go model right out of the box .There is no shortage of parts no matter what model you get & the concensus is that its not going away anytime soon .I prefer the Springfield Armory line (also have a argentine colt)but try different models by all means.Nothing really fits my hand or naturally points as well as a 1911.Hope this helps

Top Bottom