• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I am thinking about purchasing a 1911 within the year and would like to know what INGO users have and like or dislike about their 1911's. Any insight will help. As of now, I am leaning towards Para...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I prefer a 1911 with the firing pin block (which the Para has) to prevent the possibility of accidental discharge if the pistol is dropped.
    I know that many say the extra mechanism makes a really good trigger pull impossible and that no one can reliably document an accidental firing of this nature and that a light firing pin and strong return spring keeps it form happening, but I want the block, anyway.

Doug

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Too many options to cover easily....my primary reccomendation is to hold lots of them, reseach various models...define your budget.

I own several and the best recomendation for a first buyer is to get one with a beavertail grip safety. If your hands are big at all you avoid the chance of pinching your hand between the thumb and index finger experienced my many 1911 users when they get "hammer bit".

Beyond that most of it is about personal taste and budget.

Good luck...1911's are the coolest hand guns in my opinion...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    @OP - I really like the 1911.
    I like the way it feels in my hand.
    I like the way it feels when I shoot it.
    I like that it uses .45ACP (not trying to start a caliber war, folks!).
    I like that there are so many accessories and parts available for it.
    I like that I can CC it without a problem if I have to, even though it's full-size.

The one thing I don't like is that it has "so many parts" and doesn't field strip nearly as easily as my XD or a Glock.

I had heard that it was a favorite among ex-military personnel, and once I fired one, it immediately went on my purchase-when-possible list. If you haven't yet, find somebody nearby (probably several here in INGO) who will let you take his out for a test fire.

I prefer a 1911 with the firing pin block (which the Para has) to prevent the possibility of accidental discharge if the pistol is dropped.
    I know that many say the extra mechanism makes a really good trigger pull impossible and that no one can reliably document an accidental firing of this nature and that a light firing pin and strong return spring keeps it form happening, but I want the block, anyway.

Doug

Doug, pardon my ignorance, but I thought basically all modern versions had this kind of "drop safety". I have a Taurus PT 1911; does it have the firing pin block you're talking about? It doesn't mention it in the manual, which I just read cover-to-cover again.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    On the Para.

1. nice gun

2. is it a double stack or traditional single stack mag?
    It will make a world of difference, go and handle both and see which you prefer. Para makes both.
    Personally I do not like a double stack, to fat for my hand. YMMV.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My three Kimbers

Full size is a Kimber TLE Custom II

Pro size is a Kimber Pro carry (pre series 1)

Ultra size is a Kimber Tactical Ultra II

NewestKimber004.jpg

As you can see I'm a Kimber fan, but really your not going to go wrong buying one from Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, etc. Once you shoot a 1911 you will see what you've been missing and then you will begin your path of enlightenment :D

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Like wtfd661, I like Kimbers. But that doesn't mean there aren't other good 1911s. Obviously the basic design has been around a long long time. Maybe you can call it battle proven. It's a little different carrying a gun locked and cocked, but nothing that isn't doable.

I started out years ago buying a Colt Double Eagle, and didn't like the double action trigger on that gun at all! Moved back to a 70s series Colt Commander LW that I learned and modified. Finally settled on a Series I Kimber Pro Carry and loved it. The Colt's gone, but the Kimber has some siblings now too.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Word of warning! Once you have purchased your 1911 style pistol, and tried it out at the range, or another location, you will eventually have to clean it and put it away. Be careful. When you look back at it, possibly before you close the safe door, it will have that lonely look about it. Then you will start to feel sorry for her and before you know it............................................you'll have one more chamber to feed and take care of. And this can be habit forming!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have 5 Kimbers. I know Kimber recommends a 500 round break in period, but all of mine were good to go out of the box. No jams, failure to feed, or failure to eject.

I have a Para LTC that was worse than terrible for the first 250 rounds, but has been great ever since.

I have also owned Colt and Springfield.

I am partial to Kimber, but I know a lot of people are happy with the Taurus PT1911, the S&W 1911, Para GI Expert...

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Thanks for reminding me how much i want a 1911! The only problem i have with them is that I can't reach the slide release with my dominant hand. I have to turn the gun in my hand to reach the release, or use the other thumb.

I'd been looking at so many other guns and now suddenly this one's back in the running. danget.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Doug, pardon my ignorance, but I thought basically all modern versions had this kind of "drop safety". I have a Taurus PT 1911; does it have the firing pin block you're talking about? It doesn't mention it in the manual, which I just read cover-to-cover again.
    Yes, yours has the Colt Series 80 style firing pin safety along with the Paras. Kimbers are a loose copy of the old Colt/Swartz style, S&W uses a hybrid of the two. Not all "1911s" have a FPS, Baer, Brown, Wilson, Volkman, Fusion etc., don't use a FPS. Colt's reproduction pistols don't have a firing pin safety.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Have you tried an extended slide stop rather than a stock one? It might be the answer to your reach problem...
    7%20ext%20slide%20stop.jpg

Yep, that. /\

I installed one on my wife's Ultra CDPII, tiny hands and all that, it made a world of difference for her. I'm thinking of getting one for mine as a matter of fact.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I would recommend you go shooting with some friends who have 1911's so you get to shoot them first , plus a day shooting is more fun than a day working.
    The price range you mentioned would put you into a Kimber or a Springfield , just look at all 3 sizes before purchasing.
    1911's will be around forever take your time.
    no need to hurry a good thing

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    I've owned all kinds of 1911's and you absolutely can't go wrong with STI, Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, or any custom built 1911 on a Caspian or STI frame. I've had a couple different Para's and both were not 100% reliable and I had two Kimbers that were not as reliable as I would like. Also had a Springfield 1911 in 9mm that was a joke - gunsmith had to get it running and it was not cheap. They can all have problems but it seems the ones chambered in 45ACP will run all day long without any trouble.

They all have a certain feel to them as well. The Springfield seems a little different than the others but there are differences to them all.

Good luck in your search and for a decent 1911 thats reliable and feels nice the Taurus isn't bad at all... Followed by Kimber then STI but also stepping up a bit in quality and $$$$.

Top Bottom