• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Paintball guns work. Unless the dog is retarded, I've shot a few with paintball guns that have come back still covered in exploded paintballs. I also live on a farm with cattle. I've shot a few dogs that get in with the cows and get them riled up to the point that one time they trample part of my fence. Needless to say, that dog got a .243 to the head. If the owners think that they can let their dog run free since they now live in BFE, and now that you've warned them and your sheriff friend has explained the leash laws...I agree with the other posts, paintball, adoption, take it for a long drive, or kill it.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Well good news.... No dog this morning. So things may have worked themselves out.

Bubba as for your legal question, sure they could sue. But that being said it would have to be a civil case as I am within the laws to protect my stock. And with the Sheriff behind me and documentation of the dog problem I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

So today started out good now lets hope it doesn't rain I wanna go to Kingsbury!!!

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    What are the legal issues of killing somebody else's dog?? Could the press charges or sue you for that??
    There are no legal issues,the dog is on my property causing damage.I shot a neighbors dog after it killed 6 of my chickens ,it was still in the hen house, well my neighbor was mad as hell,then i had the sheriff go explain the law to him, in all i had to shoot 3 of his dogs in a 2 year period, some people just dont get it.My daughter has raised all of these chickens from baby chicks and i dont like to watch her cry when she goes out and finds 15 dead which has happened at one time.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Mike I have a Paintball gun I've been trying to sell (so its sitting doing nothing.) If you want to borrow it, to teach the dog rather than dispatching it, PM me. Ill even ship it to you! Or we could meet at a range, so we could look like we were handing off super cool NFA items lol...

Apparently (most) everyone has the same opinions, keep it, give it away, or light it up with paint. If they in fact do not have to problem fixed, it's here waiting..

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Well.... in my opinion you have been a good neighbor, to drop your own dime on a cable for them and it seems rude that they would not use it..... however I am a dog lover and the dog just seems to have made a new freind or so he thinks,,,, hey if they can't control their dog though, mabey he just needs a new home...... what kind of dog is it? =)~

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I dont see a problem if the dog is not a threat to you or the stock.. It seems to me that you are just looking for a reason to kill something. Just because it is a dog does not mean it will attack your chickens at all. I have saw people hunt dogs for no reason other than to make them happy. I am talking about good pet dogs.. Now with that being said, Why shouldnt your neighbors shoot you when you walk onto their property? After all they might have saw what a human can do to a dog..

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    A good cheap BB gun will break him of the habit of comming over with out doing any harm to the dog just aim for his hind end, it wount break his skin but will keep him from comming over.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Find some dead skunk and let the dog roll around in it's carcass. Take the dog to them and show them what happens when they are left to roam free. OR if that doesn't work, spraypaint him pink with "my owner is a fag" in red and tell them the neighbor's kids do that often.

Maybe then he'll keep it on a leash?

Sounds like a nice dog- I'm picturing a cute mutt sitting on your porch, cocking it's head to the side when you come out, no?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Father had a similar problem many years ago. He would put two pumps in his air rifle and shot the dogs with bird shot. The dogs were stung but not otherwise hurt. After a couple times, the dogs did not return. They learned quickly.

Last edited:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    To the rest of you who have an actually concern I have'nt had any further problems with the dumb humans or the rather friendly dog. I can only assume that the members who know me understand the dilema I was in. Thank you for you suggestions and comments.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I don't like to shoot anything I'm not going to eat. You find Fido out with the livestock, call the Sherrif, have him take Fido home, and he may be able to be more firm with this being the second time the law has been involved. :dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've removed several posts that were inflamatory and made no difference to this thread.

The OP asked for opinions, he got them.

Let's keep this on track guys. . .

fireman1328

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I hope that the problem has been taken care of. What lots of people don't undertand is that no matter what type of dog it is, it's a dogs nature to chase things and it doesn't take much to kill a bird. I had chickens before and have always had dogs too,but I've had to chain up or get rid of some dogs when all of a sudden they would not leave the chickens alone.

I live in BFE also and have 2 dogs that will not leave my yard, but the neighbor has a beagle that is allowed to run free. I have had to start penning up the outside dog because he started running with the beagle. Well, one morning the wife went out to go to work and the beagle started growling and showing his teeth at her and wouldn't let her come back into the house for something she forgot. I have been using a bb gun and shooting blanks, but this is a hunting dog so it doesn't pay any attention to it. I have talked to the owner and he said that "its just a beagle". We have no animal control and the sheriff won't take them so what is one to do?

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Why dont you have the Sheriff issue a running at will citation to the dog owner? In our county it's a $130 fine per dog. However, if the dog attacks any livestock it bumps the charge from an infraction to a misdemeanor. Unless you see the dog hurting or killing your animals I wouldnt shoot it.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Fireman1328

So far I haven't had any other problems, as much as it sucks that you are going through the same thing misery loves company, It is nice to get a perspective from another person that is having the same experience.

I haven't had any further problems as of lately so maybe I am lucky. Sounds like you are at step two(get Leo involved) or very close to step 3 if it has shown aggression towards your wife.

Keep us posted.

Glock Rock I appreciate your suggestion. Mike has been over there once when they called him on me and he explained things to them and since I have not seen Fido so I am hoping it is over.
    I understand where yourself and many others are coming from with the idea to "wait" until he causes damage or loss I too am a animal lover.
    However if he kills just one bird I have lost 22 weeks on that bird. If he even just chases the flock I could lose multipal birds from shock and at a minimum lose production for days. For now it is better so lets hope it stays that way.

AR Maker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Morgan County-MSG2
    I dont see a problem if the dog is not a threat to you or the stock.. It seems to me that you are just looking for a reason to kill something. Just because it is a dog does not mean it will attack your chickens at all. I have saw people hunt dogs for no reason other than to make them happy. I am talking about good pet dogs.. Now with that being said, Why shouldnt your neighbors shoot you when you walk onto their property? After all they might have saw what a human can do to a dog..

Sounds like you didn't read the post at all. He has tried everything NOT to have to shoot the dog. You are correct in that the dog may not harm the livestock, while he is around to keep him (the dog) in check. What happens to the same livestock if the owner is away when the dog decides he wants to "play" with the chickens?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom