Need opinions on a sub-compact/compact handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I have a friend who is looking for a handgun to carry. It needs to be small and easily concealable. Revolver or semi-auto. Must shoot a relatively common caliber and here's the kicker:

It's gotta be around $200-$250 tops.

Anyone know what to recommend? I'm a rifle guy so I couldn't think of anything. Her neighbors are renters and they love to mess with her car and dog plus they threaten her a lot.

P.S. She wants info on getting a LTCH.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm not a big fan, but a Keltec PF9 would fit that description. They show up in the classifieds here on a regular basis.

For info on the LTCH, point her to the FAQ here.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    If capacity isn't a concern...I'd lean towards a .38 revolver. At that price point you're looking for Taurus or Charter Arms probably...GL :yesway:

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Or a Kel-Tec P11. Or call the police or move if she is renting.

She owns the house and she lives outside Oolitic. She likes where she is now but doesn't like her new neighbors for obvious reasons. She's not against calling the police she just doesn't want to come home to a house full of men bent on harming her.

jmanrogers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    +2 on the revolver and a Charter Arms fits the bill. The Taurus cost a little more but either will work. If she is being threatened, she might want to contact local law enforcement and talk to them also. Filing a report could help her in the long run, in case something happens. IMO

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    the keltecs are really the only option in that range and with the hit or miss quality aspect, I wouldn't feel comfortable. even if only 10% have problems, that's too much IMO. is it really not worth it to save up a little and not spend just a little bit more? I've been carrying a subcompact XD9 recently and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure you could find a used one for around 400. for a plinking gun who cares, but on a SD gun why skimp when the difference is so small for such a large quality gap

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    Taurus Model 85 .38 special would be a good option. Might be a tad more than $250, but you can definitely get one under $300. Another, maybe better option would be a used S&W model 10 in .38 special. Those can sometimes be had for really good prices and it would be a better gun than the Taurus if it is in good shape.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    sigs 2022 are $369 right now if you know where to look...buying a cheap handgun is not saving you money but costing you money...just wait and spend at least 350 to get better quality

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Search on Gunbroker. There are S&W 469s on there for about that. They are DA/SA 9mm with 12 round mags. The ones for sale need refinishing but will serve the purpose well. There are many quality guns that need a bit of TLC at very affordable prices.

Top Bottom