Need opinions on a sub-compact/compact handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Like someone already said, she needs to start documenting with the police.
    She needs to learn the laws. Shooting to protect your car is hard to defend. To protect a life, or your houseis an easier defense.
    Maybe she can find an INGO event in her area. She can meet people that can help her train with the gun, and learn the law.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    Another good option in that price range would be the Bersa Thunder 380. It's a Walther PPK clone. I had one for a couple of years and sold it when I bought my Kahr CM9 as it was my only .380 caliber gun and I didn't feel like buying reloading dies for just the one pistol. I miss it though, it was fun to shoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    the keltecs are really the only option in that range and with the hit or miss quality aspect, I wouldn't feel comfortable. even if only 10% have problems, that's too much IMO. is it really not worth it to save up a little and not spend just a little bit more? I've been carrying a subcompact XD9 recently and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure you could find a used one for around 400. for a plinking gun who cares, but on a SD gun why skimp when the difference is so small for such a large quality gap

Not sure where you got the 10% data statistic from for the Kel-Tec. I had one FTE and I think that was because I didn't have a firm grip. $250 is a good price for one and they go bang when you pull the trigger. I had no ill-feelings carrying it. But I ended up going with a Beretta Nano because I wanted a single stack with no safeties. It also has less recoil.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Taurus .38 snub nosed revolver, Bersa .380, or a used Ruger LCP would be where I'd start. All are going to be around $250 (the LCP might be closer to $300 depending on the shop and condition). You might be able to find a Rossi .357 used as well.

Of all the guns mentioned, the Bersa .380 would be my first choice. Easy to maintain, reliable, a good shooter, and easy to learn on. The downside is the cost of .380 ammo these days.

Top Bottom