Need Important Question Answered PLEASE!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    On a practical note, I can't imagine the gun being worth the effort.

Up until the point that a firearm "registered to her" gets used in a crime and the ex points the finger at her.

If she bought it in VA and moved to IN, then she can legally bring the gun with her no questions asked.

Why didn't she bring it with her?

If he is a felon, he can't have it period. If he moved to New York with it then he's in big trouble.

Her lawyer should "explain" it to him/his lawyer.

I would go through the trouble/threaten legal action.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    That is exactly what I am getting at.... He has a gun outside the state of which it is registered and its not in his name... What else do we need to do to tell him he has to give it back? Can we have the police pick it up or something?

Your wife's ex husband...:dunno:

What did the divorce decree say about ownership of said property?

What's the point of dragging this up after what has to be years after the fact. "wife's ex husband" is a lot more telling about this than any gun law. Move on dude and forget about it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Maybe we can just talk to him instead of suing.. he should have to give it back since he is not legally the owner and not allowed to have a pistol in NY

This is my wifes pistol.. a Walther P99 with all the goods.. light....laser... extra mags...holster the works!!

So i dont think I am being ridiculous wanting to get it back.. she doesnt really care about it but i am unnerved about him having a gun that is in her name...

All this fuss and you haven't even TALKED to him about it?

You are working your own self up in a lather over nothing, poking a sleeping dog in the eye, setting up your family for trouble and more pain where an old sore has long scabbed over. Don't know what your problem is, eyes lit up at the possibility of getting something for nothing that was never yours to begin with or some kind of former husband obsession but I see a lot of problems in your future that you bring on your self and your own family.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    What I am getting at is that I do not want something ever coming up.. Where my wife may be to blame!!!

Even if there is just a form that can be filled out that will transfer ownership we will all be happy.. We are on good terms and plan to stay that way...
    Not looking to get something for free!! I could go out and buy a gun anytime I want thanks to the wonderful laws here... My wife actually brought it up and now that I am a member I figured I would bring it up to guys on here....Not looking to get any crap or life advice from anyone... Just looking for a solution to prevent any future problems...

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    all of the previous advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. the gun was never 'stolen'. Your wife left her property behind for whatever reason. Call the ex and offer to transfer ownership for him if it is legal for him to own. Call the BATF or State police of the state where she registered it and ask what she needs to do to make this right. So it can never come back and bite her in the butt. Report it and explain the deal to the authorities.Any other gyrations are pointless. :twocents:
    What I am getting at is that I do not want something ever coming up.. Where my wife may be to blame!!!

Even if there is just a form that can be filled out that will transfer ownership we will all be happy.. We are on good terms and plan to stay that way...
    Not looking to get something for free!! I could go out and buy a gun anytime I want thanks to the wonderful laws here... My wife actually brought it up and now that I am a member I figured I would bring it up to guys on here....Not looking to get any crap or life advice from anyone... Just looking for a solution to prevent any future problems...

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Could you get him to sign a letter that says she transferred ownership to him? About ten minutes of typing. Lawyer should be able to do that for less than $100. I would not want to deal with an ex over a firearm. But I have an extremely low BS tolerance.

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    As far as I know, when someone possesses something that was willingly given to them and not returned to the rightful owner upon request it becomes criminal conversion. It being a firearm it could be considered theft. Might want to talk to a lawyer or call the local ATF department for advice.

As far as being concerned with your wife being held legally responsible for a crime the firearm might be used in while she is out of state I dont think you have to worry about that. Make a paper trail to ensure that.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    If your wife was really concerned about it, she should have dealt with it within the divorce. I appreciate your wanting a new toy out of it but your probably better off to let it go. Its not your problem. If he has an illegal gun, its his problem, not yours.
    Good luck

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If the your wife and ex are at all civil, then you could just ask him for it back. Otherwise, I'd send him a demand letter, stating that if the gun is not returned by X date it will be considered stolen and listed as such. Send it certified mail with signature confirmation. Keep a copy for your records, turn over the serial/make/model to the PD in ex's area saying that it's stolen. It will probably require your wife to file a PD report in his area.

:+1: Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Also, if he still says that he sold it, ask if he can produce a copy of a "bill of sale". That should keep it all legal in regards to the wife. Otherwise you will have to assume that he is still in posession of said weapon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom