Need Important Question Answered PLEASE!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    My wifes ex husband has a gun that she bought and is registered in her name.. Is there a way for her to get it back? Is it illegal for him to have it? He has said that he sold it buy her daughter told us that he still has it...

Any information would be appreciated...

By the way he lives in New York...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If both he and the gun are in New York, but the gun is registered in New York in her name, how is it legal for him to either possess it or sell it? I'm not familiar with New York's gun laws, but I know they're fairly restrictive. Much more so than Indiana, where there is no gun registration at all.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My wifes ex husband has a gun that she bought and is registered in her name.. Is there a way for her to get it back? Is it illegal for him to have it? He has said that he sold it buy her daughter told us that he still has it...

Any information would be appreciated...

By the way he lives in New York...
    I met a guy from N.Y. many years ago, and back then, the gun, had to be registered in the owners name, and had to be listed on the permit, or license, whichever N.Y. has...:twocents:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    What do you mean by "registered"? We don't have firearm registration here in Indiana.

Edit: Oops, too slow.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I understand everything all of you are saying but how can we get him to send it to us or what else can we do to get it back??

Can it be confinscated and sent to us?

Do you want him arrested? Because that's what will happen if you ask the police to get it back for you. Otherwise, I'd suggest talking to a lawyer and maybe sue for the return of your property in small claims.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I am trying to figure out what we can say to him to get him to give the gun back

If he is claiming to have sold it, but actually still has it, there's likely nothing you can say.

You'll have to decide for yourselves whether it's worth getting police, lawyers, and his daughter (your step-daughter?) involved.

It's that last person that makes me, personally, think it would be better to give it up, and go get a new gun.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    If the your wife and ex are at all civil, then you could just ask him for it back. Otherwise, I'd send him a demand letter, stating that if the gun is not returned by X date it will be considered stolen and listed as such. Send it certified mail with signature confirmation. Keep a copy for your records, turn over the serial/make/model to the PD in ex's area saying that it's stolen. It will probably require your wife to file a PD report in his area.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Maybe we can just talk to him instead of suing.. he should have to give it back since he is not legally the owner and not allowed to have a pistol in NY

This is my wifes pistol.. a Walther P99 with all the goods.. light....laser... extra mags...holster the works!!

So i dont think I am being ridiculous wanting to get it back.. she doesnt really care about it but i am unnerved about him having a gun that is in her name...

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    he has said that is was sold.. but then again he sold a gun that wasnt registered in his name....
    That is what I am worried about...
    We have a good relationship and I actually have a step daughter and son.. they come out here to visit all the time..we fly them out and pay everytime... but that is besides the point...

he is not the brightest and I am trying to think of a tactic to scare him into just sending it back...

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    IAML....but
    If your wife were to report it stolen, then the police could confiscate the firearm, then it would become evidence. Then it would depend on the policies of the local PD as to how and when it could be returned.
    As far as a voluntary return on his part.....good luck with that.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Since you're asking us how to get it back, I (apparently incorrectly) assumed you'd already done that. You told us that he said he sold it.

yes my wife asked about it a year or so ago.. He said he sold it but then our daughter told us he still had it...

I dont know why he would want to keep it if he cant even use it or take it out of his home.. he doesnt have a license to own one and its not in his name....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    yes my wife asked about it a year or so ago.. He said he sold it but then our daughter told us he still had it...

I dont know why he would want to keep it if he cant even use it or take it out of his home.. he doesnt have a license to own one and its not in his name....

So ask him again. If he says "no", then you'll have to compel him in some fashion, as has already been suggested in this thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom