• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    1)Glock or Sig? Neither. ;) But if you must, Glock. You're a new shooter. Get used to a single action/striker trigger pull before going to a DA/SA gun. I've watched a lot of new shooters struggle with the stacking of a DA trigger pull. I personally learned with a Beretta 92fs, (DA/SA) but ditched it for the even pull of a polymer gun.
    2)New or Used? Used. Why pay more when you could pay less for a gun that is in equally good condition?
    3)Why do you like the gun you've chosen? XD line. It fits my needs, hands, and style perfectly. As you gain more experience and training, your taste in guns will change. Remember this when you buy your first gun.
    4)If you've chosen the Sig p226, what model? (I've been told MK25 many times before but kinda wanted stainless) If you go Sig, get the model you want. It's your gun. Get the one you like looking at.
    5)Which is more accurate? Neither really. At least there isn't enough of a difference that a new shooter is ever going to be able to tell. (Or me for that matter)
    6)Is a Sig worth the extra money and if yes..reasons? For what you want it for, probably not. There won't be any noticeable accuracy increase. It'll be harder to shoot that DA trigger. There are less upgrades for it. It's heavier...the list goes on. If you want a decent 9mm gun to plink with/ learn to shoot with, nothing would be easier to learn than a Glock. It's really as simple and reliable as it gets.

My :twocents:

EDIT: I don't even like glocks, but, if they fit your hand, recommend them as a first gun over a DA/SA gun.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    She is under stress (even though the guy is clearly under control and being cuffed) and she puts a round in front of her partner and the suspect.
    Her finger should have been on the frame, or even better up on the slide - it should *not* have been on the trigger or inside of the trigger guard.

Negligence at it's finest.

Kozzmo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    I hear lots of positive things about the glock I just don't think it's a good looking gun at all. It's.... Boxy I hate how everything is a square on it pretty much. I love the way the sig looks everything looks so finely crafted on it. But when I look at a glock It looks like they just threw some stuff together and said.. Well, it shoots! And I know it shoots very well and will not jam at all it's a very very good gun from what I hear. I just don't like how it looks. But I'm also not a flashy kind of person either. Wood handle grip? Not me. Chrome? No way haha. That's just me though. But maybe I should go with the glock. However the whole thing about me learning on a SA gun first is completely out of the picture. If I start at a DA/SA gun like the sig won't that be working on both shot types making me an all around better shooter? How can I even get better at DA if I never shoot it! I've shot before and what I shot was a .22 pistol and I liked it I have no problem pulling a single action trigger which is why I thought I'd give the sig a try. I mean hey it's a gun that shoots it's fun! Who cares if my grouping isn't perfect the first time I use the DA trigger, or if it's a flyer every DA pull. Ill still be out there having fun with my buddies shooting targets right? :)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The one thing I like about the Sig over the Glock if all else was equal - is you can double strike a round without racking the slide.

Some say to just tap, rack, and assess but at the range - I prefer to just double tap the round.

I do believe with a glock you can pull the slide back just enough to cock but not so much to eject the round, but I could be wrong - working from memory on this... But I still prefer to just be able to pull the trigger again.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If I start at a DA/SA gun like the sig won't that be working on both shot types making me an all around better shooter? Not really. In theory maybe. In reality? No. It's better, especially for beginners, to have consistency and learn one thing at a time.

How can I even get better at DA if I never shoot it! I've shot before and what I shot was a .22 pistol and I liked it I have no problem pulling a single action trigger which is why I thought I'd give the sig a try. Everyone can shoot a S/A .22, which is why I use it as a primary teaching tool (even for myself)

I mean hey it's a gun that shoots it's fun! Who cares if my grouping isn't perfect the first time I use the DA trigger, or if it's a flyer every DA pull. Ill still be out there having fun with my buddies shooting targets right?
    Now we've peeled back the onion. It sounds like you want the P226 because you like it and that's what you're interested in. If that is the case. Get it. It's your money and your gun. Get what you like. Just realize the pros and cons of the gun you buy.

BTW :welcome: to :ingo:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My dad owns plenty of guns and i have shot before, but im in college and want something cheap to shoot that is reliable and very accurate. I am a target shooter and would eventually like to be able to point and shoot, which i heard is what the glocks are good at doing but im sure can be done with any gun with practice. So here are my questions..p.s. im leaning more towards the Sig p226 at the moment. This is not for carry or defence, simply target and range/look pretty.

THe P226 is very classy looking. Also the single action trigger is better then the Glock and the gun points more naturally. My only complaint with my Sig is that the grip is too big for my hand. For a defensive gun the double action trigger might make the first shot a it tougher, but for range use this is a non-issue.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    THe P226 is very classy looking. Also the single action trigger is better then the Glock and the gun points more naturally. My only complaint with my Sig is that the grip is too big for my hand. For a defensive gun the double action trigger might make the first shot a it tougher, but for range use this is a non-issue.
    Have you tried it with the E2 grip? I recently added it to mine and I like it very much. It doesn't look thinner but it most assuredly is much nicer to handle. The wife felt the grip was too wide before and now enjoys shooting it.

226deE2.jpg

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I know those are the two pistols you want but there are many other quality firearms out there besides Sigs and Glocks. Don't forget about the M&P 9, XDM 9, Beretta 92fs, H&K P30, and many other excellent pistols.
    If I were you I would choose the Glock. mags and parts are usually cheaper. There are more accessory options, they are lighter, and can be shot underwater with the right modification.
    BTW James Yeager, R. Lee Ermey, Hickok45, Iraqveteran8888, and Military Arms Channel all like Glocks. :D

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    This. This. This.
    The PPQ is the best polymer gun on the market IMHO.

I don't like the mag release :).

I don't like the NEW mag release!:): Just so EVERYBODY knows...Walther has listened and now makes the PPQ M2 with "standard" button mag release, I prefer the PPQ "Classic" with the paddle mag release.

PPQ destroys the Glock 19. Destroys it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They are both great guns, but totally different. The best way to choose is to hold them and get a feel for both. Shoot both if possible, totally different function and feel. But both are great so pick which ever feels/shoots better. :yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Have you tried it with the E2 grip? I recently added it to mine and I like it very much. It doesn't look thinner but it most assuredly is much nicer to handle. The wife felt the grip was too wide before and now enjoys shooting it.[/IMG]

Thought about changing it over. Decided to put on a set of Crimson Trace grips instead. I mainly use this gun to demonstrate dry fire techniques and the differences between double and single action triggers. Poor mans SIRT gun of sorts. But it also doubles as a nightstand gun. Otherwise I shoot and carry Glock. But I think the Sig is better quality.

I don't like the NEW mag release!:): Just so EVERYBODY knows...Walther has listened and now makes the PPQ M2 with "standard" button mag release, I prefer the PPQ "Classic" with the paddle mag release.

Don't have a Walther PPQ. But my 1st gen P99 destroys the Glock in comfort and accuracy.

That said I shoot Glocks. They are easy to find, easy to maintain, easy to buy holsters and magazines, easy to shoot, easy to train with. They are boringly reliable and replaceable tools. Great fighting guns! Not dedicated range toys.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Have had both. Prefer the Glock by a wide margin for everything except aesthetics. As a bonus, the Glock is a good deal less expensive.

However, a handgun needs to fit your hand. If a gun doesn't fit, it isn't for you regardless of how much you like the "idea" of it.

Have you thought about the significant difference between the handguns you're comparing? I mean, you're comparing a metal hammer-fired DA/SA auto with a decocker, to a polymer striker-fired safe-action auto. Significantly different, imo.

If you mainly want something for targets and "cheap to shoot," as you say in your OP, a handgun in .22 LR is hard to beat, although not nearly as "cool." But, they're really cool suppressed!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

I haven't seen one with the new, only the old - it's just so different from every other firearm, it makes me keep in mind which firearm is on me and how to drop the mag and in a high stress situation that's less than ideal.

If it were my only weapon and/or my only carry weapon and/or all of my weapons had the other type of release it would be a non-issue.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Ummmm, no. If you are paying 3x times as much for an used SIG, you are getting screwed. An used Glock should cost ~$450 and the used Sig should be around ~$600.

Ummmm a NEW Sig is about $900 or more. Check your prices.

A USED Glock is about $350 in normal times. If you're paying more, you don't know how to buy a used Glock.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    I've owned both also.
    I shoot a Glock better then any other gun I've owned. Don't know why.
    I've had everything from little Smith 38's to full custom 1911's and everything in between.
    The Sig would serve well.
    But I would recommend the Glock 19 or 26.
    The 17 is really for cops to carry.
    My favorite gun and daily carry weapon is a Glock 27.
    I'm 46 and owned a handgun or 10 since I was 21.
    This is my experience. Yours may very.
    Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.
    C.J.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

A USED Glock is about $350 in normal times. If you're paying more, you don't know how to buy a used Glock.

If you are paying over $900 for a new Sig, then well lets just say you are paying over $200. Last time I bought a Sig 226R in 40 I paid $680 with tax. I would like to see one of these so-called $350 USED Glocks.:):

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

If you are paying over $900 for a new Sig, then well lets just say you are paying over $200. Last time I bought a Sig 226R in 40 I paid $680 with tax. I would like to see one of these so-called $350 USED Glocks.:):

Yeah, used SIGs are about $600. Just sold my Glock 19 for $400. My math isn't that great, but I do know how to read, and a used SIG for six bones vs a used Glock for 4 bones is only a 2 bone difference. Why compare a NEW SIG vs a USED Glock?:dunno:

Top Bottom