• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kozzmo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this! I am a first time buyer, i just turned 21 and i want a handgun. My dad owns plenty of guns and i have shot before, but im in college and want something cheap to shoot that is reliable and very accurate. I am a target shooter and would eventually like to be able to point and shoot, which i heard is what the glocks are good at doing but im sure can be done with any gun with practice. So here are my questions..p.s. im leaning more towards the Sig p226 at the moment. This is not for carry or defence, simply target and range/look pretty.
    1)Glock or Sig?
    2)New or Used?
    3)Why do you like the gun you've chosen?
    4)If you've chosen the Sig p226, what model? (I've been told MK25 many times before but kinda wanted stainless)
    5)Which is more accurate?
    6)Is a Sig worth the extra money and if yes..reasons?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Both platforms are great firearms , its going to be personal preference as I have own both but prefer Glock since is less expensive to fix, mod, maintain. Also I can shoot the Glock a lot better.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Both are good. You need to shoot both and decide for yourself.
    Unless you are already a very good shoot, both will be more accurate than you for a while....
    If budget is at all a concern, I'd encourage going toward the less expensive gun (either used or bought like new from the classifieds) and use the difference in cost to buy ammo and a couple of handgun classes.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Many gun shop / ranges have rental guns available. Rent each one and see what YOU think works best for you. Both are fine choices.

BOTH are as accurate as one another, IOW, BOTH are as accurate as YOU are.

Head to your favorite gun shop, handle both. Whichever one YOU feel 'sets' better in your hand and 'sits' better on a small target when you look down the sights is probably going to be the one with which you shoot your best scores.

Keep in mind that a handgun is, generally speaking, an extension of your trigger finger. Which one, for you, best feels like it mimics pointing your trigger finger at the exact point at which you're looking is going to be your best bet.

Once your skill sets are sufficient (for you), you'll likely discover that you'll have the ability to pick up virtually any handgun, even the "crappy" ones, and hit what you aim at.

Keep in mind that, again generally speaking, shooting a firearm well isn't much more than mastering the fundamentals. "Advanced" techniques are really nothing more than a refinement of those fundamentals.

Like doing anything well, it requires devoting the time and effort YOU need to master those fundamentals. That's really all that differentiates the top-notch shooters from the rest. They're simply willing to do what it takes to make those refinements.

Are YOU? That, of course, is nothing more than your choice.

Best of luck. And keep shooting!

Last edited:

Kozzmo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    id love to shoot both before i buy them, but have no idea where or how to do this. I dont know anyone who has either of these pistols

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this! I am a first time buyer, i just turned 21 and i want a handgun. My dad owns plenty of guns and i have shot before, but im in college and want something cheap to shoot that is reliable and very accurate. I am a target shooter and would eventually like to be able to point and shoot, which i heard is what the glocks are good at doing but im sure can be done with any gun with practice. So here are my questions..p.s. im leaning more towards the Sig p226 at the moment. This is not for carry or defence, simply target and range/look pretty.
    1)Glock or Sig?
    2)New or Used?
    3)Why do you like the gun you've chosen?
    4)If you've chosen the Sig p226, what model? (I've been told MK25 many times before but kinda wanted stainless)
    5)Which is more accurate?
    6)Is a Sig worth the extra money and if yes..reasons?

I have a Sig p226, and a glock 19... here is my honest opinion

1) Sig p226
    2) Used (cheaper than new)
    3) I love my 226, it hits what I aim at, came with night sights. I shoot better with the 3 dot sight. I love my glock 19, don't get me wrong. I shoot both of them pretty well. The glock has less recoil IMO, and I will probably end up shooting better with it over my sig once I have owned it for a longer period of time. The glock has a better trigger IMO.. The sig looks better, has more features (decock, hammer, more detail on slide making it easier to rack)
    4) I have a police issued p226 with the E2 grip... if you have smaller hands, I would recommend it.
    5) They are Equally accurate, just depends which is more comfortable to you
    6) Not necessarily

If choosing a tie would have been an option, I would have chose that.

Either gun is going to be a great gun. If you are looking at doing modifications to the gun to make it a better target shooter, definitely go with the glock. more modifications are available to glocks. The sig always will have an edge over my other guns. It was an Xmas present from my dad so I may be a little biased...

PS... ill say this again, my glock's trigger is better than my sigs... which would be a plus for target shooting. Its reset is amazing. Hold both and see which one is most comfortable

:welcome:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't like the way the glock feels in my hand or how it feels when I shoot it, but certainly others do like it so don't draw your conclusion based from my opinion.

Go out, shoot them, and make your own conclusion.

I believe Pop's Guns on the east side has both a Sig and a Glock you can shoot for rental.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP where are you going to school? I have a P226 and a Glock 23. Both in 40 but would give you an idea.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I have owned both, it will be a personal preference. I know I will get flack for this, but I love the safety on the sig sauer. The trigger is a double action first shot and single after that. You do have the option to manually cock the hammer back if you want the first shot to be single action for accuracy, but not required if you need it in a hurry. It is great for a personal protection at home or a carry gun as it has no safety to forget, and it is much less likely to accidentally get fired. I know lots here will talk about the finger being the primary safety, or the holster being your safety, but in my personal opinion I believe the sig is a very solid shooting gun, accurate, and you will have to work very hard to accidentally discharge a sig. you can drop it and instinctively try to catch it (which you should not do as it is safer to let any modern gun hit the ground than to risk catching it on the trigger) and you would find it very hard to discharge it that way. Out side this variable, my Glock always seemed to point up at a slight angle compared to all my other handguns when I naturally point it. This was the main reason I got rid of my glock and went to guns that had a more natural point of aim to me. I don't have much bad to say about the glock. If it fits your shooting style, and it works for you, it is a reliable gun that has been proven through years of service by tons of organizations and people. I will say if I could only keep one gun in my entire handgun collection, it would be my sig 226, it is the one I know I can rely on and hit with consistently. The best would be if you could shoot them both before buying, preferably during the same shooting session so you could go back and forth to see which one fits you better and feels better to you. You can also compare your personal accuracy with them both.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have owned both, it will be a personal preference. I know I will get flack for this, but I love the safety on the sig sauer. The trigger is a double action first shot and single after that. You do have the option to manually cock the hammer back if you want the first shot to be single action for accuracy, but not required if you need it in a hurry. It is great for a personal protection at home or a carry gun as it has no safety to forget, and it is much less likely to accidentally get fired. I know lots here will talk about the finger being the primary safety, or the holster being your safety, but in my personal opinion I believe the sig is a very solid shooting gun, accurate, and you will have to work very hard to accidentally discharge a sig. you can drop it and instinctively try to catch it (which you should not do as it is safer to let any modern gun hit the ground than to risk catching it on the trigger) and you would find it very hard to discharge it that way. Out side this variable, my Glock always seemed to point up at a slight angle compared to all my other handguns when I naturally point it. This was the main reason I got rid of my glock and went to guns that had a more natural point of aim to me. I don't have much bad to say about the glock. If it fits your shooting style, and it works for you, it is a reliable gun that has been proven through years of service by tons of organizations and people. I will say if I could only keep one gun in my entire handgun collection, it would be my sig 226, it is the one I know I can rely on and hit with consistently. The best would be if you could shoot them both before buying, preferably during the same shooting session so you could go back and forth to see which one fits you better and feels better to you. You can also compare your personal accuracy with them both.
    The biggest thing is to train for the first shot and the follow-up. With enough practice it's a non-issue.

That said, I hear people all the time saying not to carry a Sig with the hammer cocked because it lacks a safety... How is this any different than a glock that is half-cocked and has no safety? Some pressure on the trigger and you're going to shoot - same as a Sig that isn't decocked.

Is the ultimate safety not us, our brains, and our trigger finger?

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I too, like the DA/SA option on the SIG. I can honestly say, that after owning a bunch of Glocks (they were fine guns) that I really appreciate the quality, ergonomics, and dead nuts accuracy of my SIGs.

You can't go wrong with an all metal P-Seris SIG.

I would also add that, to all of you prospective/future Glock owners out there, if you are looking for a polymer, striker-fired gun, go fondle a Walther PPQ.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If I was starting out, a used 9mm Glock is the way I'd go. As it is today with 45+ years of shooting, hunting and competitions, the gun I'm carrying on my next road trip is a Sig P220 R. In normal times, that Sig is about 3 times as expensive as the used Glock (or an H&K for that matter), but it's what I feel most comfortable with if I only have one handgun with me on a 5,000 mile trip.

Kozzmo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    @VERT i am actually from PA, but thank you for the offer it was very nice and thoughful of you! Bit of a distance away though unfortunatly haha.
    @PAUL yeah the gun doesn't have an actual manual safety, the safety is your common sense pretty much and its kind of hard to accidently fire a 10lb trigger on the DA first shot. I also like the hammer drop safety thing on the Sig, i forget the actual name for it, but i think its neat how the gun is able to do that without a shot being fired or without the safety malfunctioning. Ive heard that Sig's have problems with not shooting out fired shells properly and also the ammo not going in the barrel and being jammed. But i was told this is due to crappy mags and to get a Mecgar mag because they work the best!
    @the rest thank you for all your replies everyone!!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I own both Sig and Glock (not the same models though that you are looking at) and I am a fan of both manufacturers but personal preference for me if I could only have one I would go with the Sig (lucky for me I don't just have to go with one though :D)

Kozzmo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    so so far it seems like most people here are saying sig? I also saw in another post that sigs manufacturing quality has gone down. I dont know if that means by a lot. But now my question is...
    Older gun pre2000 vrs newer gun 2000+
    If the sig company really has gotten lazy then would that mean that i want an older gun? I've always liked having the newest thing on the market, and i also like knowing what the thing i have purchased has been through.. in other words buying a brand new gun so i can treat it like a baby. Not buying something that was treated poorly by someone else, because ill never know what they did with that gun and how well it was cleaned and so fourth

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    OP where are you going to school? I have a P226 and a Glock 23. Both in 40 but would give you an idea.

Well OP, you're sure not gonna bet a better offer, and a better offer of friendship between fellow shooters, than this!

+1 million for a member of INGO and the gun community looking out for a fellow shooter! :yesway:

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The biggest thing is to train for the first shot and the follow-up. With enough practice it's a non-issue.

That said, I hear people all the time saying not to carry a Sig with the hammer cocked because it lacks a safety... How is this any different than a glock that is half-cocked and has no safety? Some pressure on the trigger and you're going to shoot - same as a Sig that isn't decocked.

Is the ultimate safety not us, our brains, and our trigger finger?

That is what I love about the sig. It is one of the few double action single action guns left. Many are now either only single, or striker fired (same thing to me) With my sig I carry one in the chamber and have full confidence it will not catch on anything and accidentally go off, even if I am negligent. I know we all try to be careful, but if I can add a safeguard that makes my gun more safe and no less functional, I want it. It only takes one mistake and we are only human. I am around a gun every day, and there are a lot of days in a lifetime. I love my sig because I will never pick it up and it not be ready to squeeze the trigger and know it will fire. I have not been in a lot of situations where my adrynalin was pumping and I'm holding my gun on someone. I would like to think I would maintain full control, but I would never want my stress level to be high and unintentionally grip the trigger too hard and shoot someone. I know you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are about to fire, but when I am a split second from firing, I still like having a optional long trigger pull. Here is a 10 second video of a lady cop holding her gun on a person her partner was handcuffing. She is under stress (even though the guy is clearly under control and being cuffed) and she puts a round in front of her partner and the suspect.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv89_3rrW8Y[/ame]

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is what I love about the sig. It is one of the few double action single action guns left. Many are now either only single, or striker fired (same thing to me) With my sig I carry one in the chamber and have full confidence it will not catch on anything and accidentally go off, even if I am negligent. I know we all try to be careful, but if I can add a safeguard that makes my gun more safe and no less functional, I want it. It only takes one mistake and we are only human. I am around a gun every day, and there are a lot of days in a lifetime. I love my sig because I will never pick it up and it not be ready to squeeze the trigger and know it will fire. I have not been in a lot of situations where my adrynalin was pumping and I'm holding my gun on someone. I would like to think I would maintain full control, but I would never want my stress level to be high and unintentionally grip the trigger too hard and shoot someone. I know you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are about to fire, but when I am a split second from firing, I still like having a optional long trigger pull. Here is a 10 second video of a lady cop holding her gun on a person her partner was handcuffing. She is under stress (even though the guy is clearly under control and being cuffed) and she puts a round in front of her partner and the suspect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv89_3rrW8Y

That is the reason I have come to like the DA/SA with decocker. I do not or cannot practice all the time and have felt how easy it was to "accidentally" fire a round at the range with a light trigger. I would not like the same thing to happen under stress.

An overlooked full size 9mm that is very decent is the Bersa Pro High Capacity. I just bought a Sig and will be carrying it but I still like that Bersa. It even seems to be balanced a little better plus it is about 1/3 the price of a Sig and about 75% the cost of a Glock.

bersapronuevany7.jpg

Top Bottom