• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    First a little background. I'm 19, going to college but living at home while commuting back and forth. I've always been a level headed kid who has always taken firearms(all weapons for that matter) seriously. I have applied for my LTCH just recently and have been searching local gun shops for the right handgun. My dad has always been on the cautious side with guns in general, mainly because I dont think he fully understands them. Well I was having a talk with him basically just running by him a few things that were on my mind about purchasing my first handgun. He said the words that every son dreads to hear..."You can do what you want, but if you get a gun of any kind, i'll be disapointed in you". This really took me by surprise because he usually tends to be open to almost anything. After about an hour of steady, yet unheated debate about the importance of having a gun in numerous situations to no avail, I gave up for now. My question is, what are some good arguements I can bring up to help sway is opinions? I realize this isn't a battle that can be won over night, but i'm determined to get his aproval on this matter. Did anyone else have this problem?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My friend, no son can win the argument of reason.

You must win him over with the argument of responsibility.

Get signed up for a class. Your dad is worried that you will do something foolhardy. Prove him wrong with responsibility.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Ask him why he would disappointed with you for trying take responsibilty for your own safety, offer to, then take, a training class, or join the Guard, or Reserve, and learn weapons there, or better yet join the ROTC, if there is one at your school. Take him shooting with someone you know who owns guns. I'm one of the lucky ones, my dad inspired my love for guns, and as a kid I shot Black Powder, rifles, shotguns, handguns, you name it we shot it! Good Luck to you, and welcome to the wonderful world of firearms!

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Is he afraid of them or has he just never been around them(firearms)? If he is afraid of them, responsibility is the key here. If he has never been around them, or just does not like them for political reasons, I don't know what you can do here, most older people are set in their ways and will never change.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I'd rather be disappointed in my son then have to bury him. You're a man now. It's time for you to make your own decisions.

I already told him this exact thing. Obviously the state of Indiana thinks I'm old enough to be trusted with a gun, so do I. Though I'll be the first to admit, most kids my age aren't ready for the responsibility.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had a girlfriend in the past who's 18 year old son got his concealed carry permit.
    He was a level tempered intelligent young man, and I'd let him shoot some of my firearms.
    I never felt unsafe shooting with him.

Hi mom was all freaked out when the permit came in the mail and said she was going to throw it away.
    I told her he had a LEGAL right to apply for a concealed carry permit, and the BEST thing to do was to make sure he knew how to SAFELY handle and knew the responsibility of owning a handgun.

I further said that she needed to STRONGLY encourage him to take an NRA certified course in pistol and rifle.

MY ADVICE to YOU in addition to this is to make sure you have a way to SECURELY store any guns you buy in a way to keep them from being stolen or used without your authorization BEFORE you buy your first one.

To have this plan in place BEFORE you buy any guns will very possibly soften your father's attitude, and re-enforce his feeling that you're showing proper responsibility.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I already told him this exact thing. Obviously the state of Indiana thinks I'm old enough to be trusted with a gun, so do I. Though I'll be the first to admit, most kids my age aren't ready for the responsibility.

And I would agree with you, but there are thousands of "kids" in the armed forces that handle guns every day. Why do we trust THEM with firearms? Because they are well trained and get plenty of practice. If you want to win your Dad over someday, do the same.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I was gonna mention the armed services thing....great point. My best advice is to take him out shooting, make it fun. I would say have reactive targets....apples, eggs, melons, water jugs, stuff that splodes and looks cool. But be sure and show that you are responsible and know how to handle them.

You live in the greatest country in the world, driving a car is a privelage, owning and carrying a firearm is a right .

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    The Police are a very good force and I do trust them to do what they need to do to protect me. But until the get to my location it is my duty to protect my home and family from any threats whatever it may be.
    This is why I conceal & carry every where it is legal to do so.
    Because the Police cannot be everywhere all the time, if they could there would be no crime.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I was gonna mention the armed services thing....great point. My best advice is to take him out shooting, make it fun. I would say have reactive targets....apples, eggs, melons, water jugs, stuff that splodes and looks cool. But be sure and show that you are responsible and know how to handle them.

You live in the greatest country in the world, driving a car is a privelage, owning and carrying a firearm is a right .

Speaking of driving a car, I took a two year course in highschool that made me ASE certified, so I know how to properly maintain almost any vehicle. I maintain and take care of my vehicles almost to a point of OCD. I'll treat my firearms the same way...

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Just my opinion, but I don't think it would be a good idea to take your Dad to the range just yet. He might not be open to the idea that "guns are fun." And if he doesn't like the idea of you carrying, he's not going to like the idea of you shooting fruit and "playing" with it.

If you do buy a gun, don't make a big deal about it and don't try and engage him in a conversation he doesn't want to have. Let him bring it up if and when he wants to. Until then, CC and go about your business.

Eventually, once he sees you making your own decisions and being responsible, he might start asking questions. Soon after, you might have a great way to spend some time with your Pops on a Saturday afternoon.

I don't know your Dad so all this might be way off. It's just the way I see it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Police are a very good force and I do trust them to do what they need to do to protect me. But until the get to my location it is my duty to protect my home and family from any threats whatever it may be.
    Because the Police cannot be everywhere all the time, if they could there would be no crime.

You're right, and I'm surely not against police. (My grandfather was one who died in the line of duty)
    But the saying "when seconds count the police are minutes away..." IS the reality in most cases.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I think he could have fun with it, I just think he doesn't want me to walk around flashing my "piece" as he put it to everyone, asking for trouble. Which is something I'd never do. I'll mostly use it for home defense and while I'm at work(my employer is okay with carrying)

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Nobody's mentioned to have him browse through INGO!

...oh, wait ...you want him to see a group of responsible gun owners! ;)

Seriously, most people here are pretty honest and level-headed. People share their opinion and advice pretty freely (as in this thread). There are a few ... uhm ...well, "unique" members :D, but the community as a whole is pretty solid and, probably, somewhat representative of Indiana gun owners in general.

Of course, we may or may not have a bearing about how you conduct yourself on your own time (standard disclaimer ;)), but you can at least show him some of the birds you fly with, so to speak.

FWIW, my parents still don't know (that I'm aware) that I have firearms, a LTCH, and carry everywhere I'm able. Then again, they live 600 miles away and I might see them a couple times a year. I thought it was somewhat interesting when they were down here a few weeks ago they had no idea that I was carrying while they were here (at least, they never mentioned anything about it (then again, maybe that was one of the topics of conversation on their way home! ;) ...idunno).

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana

I felt it necessary to rep you for this comment. You are exactly right. As a LEO we cant be every where at once. I really wish more people had your attitude ( as many do on INGO.) Instead of complaining about police not being there fast enough take some responsibility for your personal safety.
    I know this isn't in line with the op just felt it was necessary.
    Anelson

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I felt it necessary to rep you for this comment. You are exactly right. As a LEO we cant be every where at once. I really wish more people had your attitude ( as many do on INGO.) Instead of complaining about police not being there fast enough take some responsibility for your personal safety.
    I know this isn't in line with the op just felt it was necessary.
    Anelson
    No problem, I fully agree with your statement as well. I can't stand when people give police a hard time over things that most of the time is out of their control anyway.

Top Bottom