• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The story is, My son and his friend are both going to Trine university, They are avid outdoorsmen and good young men. My son has had several pistol and rifle training with certificates and I can get as many people to vouch for his character as you want and his roommate who is also from our area is the same trustworthy sort just without as much instructor supervised time

They both are freshmen and play on the football team

We live about 3 hours away and so I can't just run up or they can't just run down to hunt.

They need a local guide that can provide or store a couple firearms for them. They have hunted for years and once given an area to hunt are self sufficient. Their firearms handling is above normal and hunting ethics the same.

If there is a group or an individual that would be willing to get these guys back in the woods and of course work around School work and football I would appreciate any help.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    I don't have anything to add; I'm unfortunately not in a position to help. But I hope that someone can! Sounds like a good cause. :-)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    They are living on Campus, They need someone to loan them firearms and store ammo for them and also give them a place to clean game ECT.

The boys have a 12x14 living area, on the 3rd floor, They really need a surrogate hunting family. (Hide your daughters LOL)

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    There is some good public land up here to hunt. Marsh Lake, Cedar Swamp, and Pigeon River FWA are all within a 10 minute drive of Trine University. All might be a little crowded for gun season, but bow season can be good hunting.

Private ground is going to be tough to get your hands on. Leasing is running rampant up here. But if they knock on enough doors they just might find something.

If they waterfowl hunt there are 101 lakes in the county so finding a place to hunt waterfowl is generally not much of a problem if you have a small boat.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    There is some good public land up here to hunt. Marsh Lake, Cedar Swamp, and Pigeon River FWA are all within a 10 minute drive of Trine University. All might be a little crowded for gun season, but bow season can be good hunting.

Private ground is going to be tough to get your hands on. Leasing is running rampant up here. But if they knock on enough doors they just might find something.

If they waterfowl hunt there are 101 lakes in the county so finding a place to hunt waterfowl is generally not much of a problem if you have a small boat.

Yes there is good land but The boys need more than that,

The university looks down on shotguns, rifles, knives, and other fun things laying around ones Dorm room.

As long as they are in a Dorm we need someone willing to loan or store firearms for them. That is the part it's going to take a leap of faith on both sides to make this work.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mongo is a huge public hunting place not too far from there. I'm not quite that far north though, still and hour or more from the Angola/Trine area. I don't really have the space to store more guns than I have already with my 2 kids running around the house (can't wait til we get to move next year to a bigger house). I don't know many people up in that area, but I'll ask around and see if I can point anyone this way.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Any chance they are in the engineering school? My cousin goes there and he is apart of a frat. of engineers. He is a firearms enthusiast as well. I can ask him to see if he knows of anyone or place.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Yes there is good land but The boys need more than that,

The university looks down on shotguns, rifles, knives, and other fun things laying around ones Dorm room.

As long as they are in a Dorm we need someone willing to loan or store firearms for them. That is the part it's going to take a leap of faith on both sides to make this work.

I know a kid who graduated in their Criminal Justice program and he kept guns on campus. I think they have a secure system for that. You might inquire with the University if any student can utilize that service.

It will probably be tough getting a private party to secure their firearms and other hunting gear for liability reasons.

Liability is getting to be a huge factor up here as well when it comes to accessing private ground to hunt. The days of shaking the farmer's hand and walking back to hunt are for the most part gone up this direction. Leases and contracts rule the day up this way. Not saying I like it, but it is the way it is. It is a money game now.

I would probably look into a secure storage unit for a couple months and settle on public land, especially for bow hunting.

As an engineer myself, I had to pretty much table my hunting during my college days at Purdue simply due to the intense work load. I cannot imagine trying to fit in football as well and still finding time to hunt. But it might be doable with today's technology.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    After what they did to my son's football team a couple of weeks ago (my son plays at Manchester), no help from me!!

Just kidding! If I had a place for them to go I'd be glad to help them out, but unfortunately I don't, but I wish you all the best of luck in your search!

Cam

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    After what they did to my son's football team a couple of weeks ago (my son plays at Manchester), no help from me!!

Just kidding! If I had a place for them to go I'd be glad to help them out, but unfortunately I don't, but I wish you all the best of luck in your search!

Cam

OOps and one of the boys got a tackle in that game so maybe we won't take any help from Manchester folks. LOL

It's great the kids can enjoy the game and the family that comes along with a good football program

Top Bottom