• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Like the title says, I need some help finding a new carry gun. Currently, I own the ever hated S&W Sigma 9mm. I actually like the way it feels in the hand, how it points, and how reliable it's been every time I've went to the range.

However, I just don't feel comfortable carrying the gun around with a round in the chamber because of the lack of safeties. Yea, I know plenty of you actually prefer a gun with minimal safeties, but I personally don't feel comfortable with them. Consequently, it doesn't help much to carry a gun that requires a rack of the slide before firing.

So the following is what I'm looking for, and I would love anyone's input.

- No hammers (i.e. Px4, 1911 style etc)
    - Must have manual thumb safety
    - Small enough to conceal (sigma size is about as big as I'm willing to go)
    - Grip safety is a plus but not required
    - Preferable in 9mm (Ammo is cheaper, and still gets the job done)
    - Must be reliable and fun to shoot as well

So far, the only gun's I've found like this are the SR9c and the M&P. Does anyone know of any others or have opinions about the two I listed?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Those are both quality firearms and get good reviews. Both also have the option for the full sized or compact models. You can't go wrong with either. Just figure out which fits your hand best and try to get some test shooting in if possible. Let us know what you eventually end up with.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    No experience with the M&P line, but they get great reviews and seem very nice... i have shot my buddy's SR9c a couple different times and it is a nice gun. Accurate, 10rnd capacity with the standard mag, plus ruger gives you a back up 17 rnd mag i believe (someone correct me if i'm wrong). I know he had some trouble with light primer strikes at first, but since he has shot ~250 rnds through it and has had no more trouble with it. I personally think its a nice gun from the little trigger time i have had with it. I'm sure others will be along shortly to give you better details on the two more than i can.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hmmm... let me bounce around some of my thoughts here.

ATF Consumer: I totally forgot about the Taurus line-up, so thanks for reminding me. It is unfortunate though, as I have shot the millennium pro my buddy carries and it jammed on me 3 times through just 5 mag loads. Maybe yours doesn't have the same problem, but I've always been skeptical of the Taurus semi-auto line up because of that encounter (along with it's less than stellar rep).

karodger: All good suggestions, however those are all hammer guns. I'm not 100% against that style, but I'd like to look for something without a hammer first.

I know that Springfield makes an XD with a thumb safety as well, but I believe its only on the duty .45 pistol (I think). I wish they had that available on a compact 9mm. It would basically have most of the features of a 1911 without the hammer. I'm wondering about the possibilities of a 9mm conversion on that (if only to save money on practice rounds and have options). Either way, it would probably still be too large to carry around comfortably.

I was thinking about visiting IndyGunSafety this Sunday... I see their gun search has both the SR9c and the M&Pc avail for order, but neither list that they are in stock.

Keep your suggestions coming guys.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Well I know most people hate Taurus, but I've owned 3 and never had any problems with them. I just bought a pair of PT 709 "slims" one for me and one for the wife. They have a thumb safety which is why I chose it over the Ruger LCP, plus it's a 9mm instead of a 380. Might be worth looking at, I love mine.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have a M&P9c that came with the thumb safety...

It's a FANTASTIC pistol. Has chambered and fired every. single. cartridge. that it's been asked to.

Capable of quite good accuracy, too, for such a short-barreled pistol.

Add in an Apex replacement sear (contact through their website or INGO member Flork) and the trigger pull and reset clean up nicely.

Downside: Mags are still a bit expensive. But some time spent scouring the 'net can get you into them for ~$25.

Can also use the full-sized mags + grip spacer; makes for a great range combination.

I like mine...and carry it often (but not as often as my J-frame...ahem).

-J-

5.jpg

MP9.jpg

with Raven Phantom holster and mag carrier

MP3.jpg

w/ FS mag + X-Grip grip spacer

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, OP, how long have you been carrying your pistol? And how familiar are you with "gun stuff"; IE, new hobby/choices been around it a long time but new to INGO?

And Welcome to INGO!

-J-

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    CZ 82. Inexpensive($200), Cheap Ammo, 12 rds capacity, cock and lock safety. To your door if you have a FFL03(Every gun person should have one).

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    However, I just don't feel comfortable carrying the gun around with a round in the chamber because of the lack of safeties. Yea, I know plenty of you actually prefer a gun with minimal safeties, but I personally don't feel comfortable with them.

Why?

Acknowledging you have a problem is the first step.
    :):

lwilli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I personally carry the Glock 19, but I also really like the Beretta 92FS. It has some unique safety features that make it worth considering...in my opinion!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I was thinking about visiting IndyGunSafety this Sunday... I see their gun search has both the SR9c and the M&Pc avail for order, but neither list that they are in stock.

Keep your suggestions coming guys.

Randy @ Indy Gun Safety is really great! If you call the # on the website, you can usually get an "appointment" and he'll meet you at the shop.

I put appointment in "" because USUALLY all you have to do is say "hey can I come to your shop?" and he'll reply "I'll be there in a few minutes, see you soon" :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    However, I just don't feel comfortable carrying the gun around with a round in the chamber because of the lack of safeties. Yea, I know plenty of you actually prefer a gun with minimal safeties, but I personally don't feel comfortable with them.

What are you afraid of? You have a trigger safety on a DAO pistol with a 10 lb pull and it can't fire when dropped. It's just about as safe as it can get. Unless you're constantly training with your new thumb-safety pistol, that safety is likely to cause you more problems than it solves in a self defense situation.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    what i'm currently carrying

9mm Springfield XDm 3.8. 19 rounds. no mag extension. hell of a good time to shoot. trigger and grip safety...no hammer. cocked indicator, chamber indicator.

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    The M&P9c would be a great choice

+2341123123

Roommate has one with the ambi safety. Great little gun, with the adjustable backstraps and two mags (1 with pinky ext.) it comes with a great package.

I love shooting it too. Accurate and concealable.

Top Bottom