• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Father, has a M&P .40c with thumb safety. It is a fantastic gun. I have no experience with the SR9's. However, I have heard great things about them. You will, be hard pressed to find, a striker fired pistol with a manual safety. There is, not a lot of options out there. Are you, absolutely set on a manual safety?

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Personally I have 3 SW revolvers, 2 Taurus .45s, and a KelTec PF9 lately the PF9 gets carried the most.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wow, lots of replies in here... alright then.

Indy_Guy_77:

That M&P9c looks like a nice piece, thanks for the first-hand opinions. I wasn't aware that it also accepted full-sized mags and had grip spacers avail. That pretty much takes away the only advantage the SR9c had on it from what I can tell.

To answer your question; I've only had my LTCH for around 3 weeks now, so I do not have a lot of carry experience. My familiarity with "gun stuff" (specifically handguns and carry issues) admittedly isn't going to be as vast as a lot people already here. However, I did grow up around a lot of firearms (LEO parents), and spent countless weekends shooting trap with my grandfather when I was younger. It wasn't until recently that I decided I wanted protection outside of my apartment. Thanks for the welcome, maybe I should have made a new-member thread. :dunno:

kludge and rimfire_crazed:

I'm not sure what it is *exactly* that makes me think I *need* additional safeties. Maybe it's because a majority of the guns I've handled had them... Maybe it's because I'm just used to that action of flipping off the safety before shooting. Either way, I don't feel real comfortable knowing that the only thing between being safe and having a ND is a pull of the trigger (sure, it IS a heavy pull but still).

Alternatively, what is the extra safety really going to hurt? You say it may cause more problems in a self defense situation? Other than forgetting to flip the switch, what else is there that I'm not aware of?

ATF Consumer:

I couldn't tell you what was wrong with my buddies Taurus. Either way, it's had that "car brand" effect on me. Ya know, like that pos beater you owned for winter driving that just broke down all the time. Sure, other people never had problems with that same make/model, but you just can't bring yourself to trust it.

dmorrow23

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I carry a S&W MP45c and love it. It has no safeties but you can get one with a thumb safety. Very straight shooter, no issues with gun.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Someone else may have mentioned this but the Taurus 709 is a great concealed carry weapon that seems like it has all the features you listed I think. There are many weapons that fit your description. Kahr has some good stuff as well that looks what you might be looking for. Good luck.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Someone here had the perfect carry gun for you the H&K p7 9mm. Somewhere in the classifieds here.

West german police pistol from the 1980/1990's. 380 size 9mm firepower no hammer ambidextrous safety (get one for both hands) Accurate, dependable, lightweight, the first squeeze cocker in polymer frame. Lots of first with this pistol.

sounds like what you need.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    why is striker fire a must over a exposed hammer?..i love hammers...easier to decock gives the option of sa or da, + it gives you a world of options...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Personally, I think manual safeties are an unnecessary evil. Unless, you plan on carrying cocked and locked. As long, as you use a good holster, and keep your nose picker out of the trigger guard. Until you are ready to fire. Then you, have a very small chance. Of the gun going off unintentionally. That is, one reason I prefer a hammer fired pistol. With the ability to decock. That way, your first shot is DA. It's, safe, yet unnoticeable with practice.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    patandhisruger & U.S. Patriot:

The manual safety is a personal comfort feature for myself. Whether or not it is *necessary* isn't really my biggest concern. It's just one more thing to protect against accidents.

Like I mentioned before, I'm not 100% against hammer guns. I would just prefer to find something without one.

I mean, I really liked the Px4 when I was given the chance to shot it. However, the DA then SA bothered me as I would much rather have every trigger pull feel the same. Sure, you could set it up for SA every time but then you are opening up other problems.

I would consider a hammer gun like the Para... something that is DAO and only exposes the hammer when the gun is used. I haven't actually shot this set-up, but it does seem like something I'd like.

If you try REALLY hard, you might be able to change my mind about the hammer (def not the safety). ;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    How about, a polymer framed pistol with hammer? That has a decocker/safety. I would give the FNP/FNX line a look. I own, two FNP's and they are fantastic pistols. In the FNP, you want the USG model. The standard model is decocker only. The USG is decocker/safety. The FNX is decocker/safety. They come with three mags. The FNP's come with two interchangable back straps. The FNX comes with four.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Taurus Tactical 24/7 OSS SOCOM has everything your looking for and their patented Second chance trigger system ,ambi safety,17+1 Match grade barrel!

The second strike capability is garbage. If the round does not ignite the first time. It's getting jacked out of the chamber. My Dad had a 24/7 at one time. He did not keep it long. The trigger was decent at best. My :twocents:

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    You could also look at CZ's like the 75 Compact, 2075 RAMI, or the P01. Or maybe a Smith and Wesson 4506. There are also some small 1911's that you could look at like the Para Warthog.

+1 on the CZ's but if you get the 2075 Rami make sure its the ALLOY frame. A friend of mine sent me pictures of his 3 day old POLYMER framed CZ Rami and the frame was starting to distort right about where the rail and trigger guard
    come together. It was pretty wild.
    EDIT: It had 100 rounds run through it in one range trip.

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    If you're stopping by to see Randy @ IndyGunSafety on Sunday, ask him about his concealed carry training class. I've been through it and it'll help you pick up a lot (or give you the refresher) of the "gun stuff" everyone is talking about.

M&P Compact is a great weapon. Have the 4.25" version and have shot the compact a few times and have been thinking about adding the little brother to the family. It's available with a thumb safety so that will get you what you're looking for. Good luck!

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I'm a big fan of the Taurus 24/7 line, though I like the .40 S&W caliber. There was a nice Socom Taurus gun for sale in the classifieds on here that runs the 9mm I believe, but it may not still be up. Might just be one I like because of the .40 caliber :)

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Alternatively, what is the extra safety really going to hurt? You say it may cause more problems in a self defense situation? Other than forgetting to flip the switch, what else is there that I'm not aware of? ...

You've already mentioned the issue of forgetting to flip the switch. One could also mention remembering to flip the switch, but fumbling the ball in the process. It happens all the time. Ask anyone who's shot much competition and they've all seen it. And that's just under the stress of competition, with guys that practice more than your average bear. Add the surprise, stress, and dynamics of an actual self-defense scenario (and maybe a shooter who doesn't practice much) and the probability goes up. So yeah, it's a significant issue that shouldn't be casually dismissed.

One might also mention a 'safety' mechanism's probability of failure. Since, every component has a finite probability of failure, when 'unnecessary' mechanical 'safety' mechanisms are added to a firearm the total probability of failure is additively increased by the corresponding positive finite amount. I'm not saying how much (depends on the design), but it is a positive finite amount. A safety can fail such that the gun fires regardless of its setting or a safety can fail such that it locks up the gun. The consequences vary depending on the circumstances.

There was a HUGE thread over on the S&W forum about the S&W locks failing and completely locking up their revolvers. Not sure if the thread is still there, but it was like 75+ pages long the last time I looked. That's one example. There was a case detailed on this board, I think within the last year, where a grip safety (a passive device) came awfully close to getting a guy killed. The only thing that saved him was that his adversary (who had a revolver) ran out of ammunition first and took off.

You currently have a gun you like, one that fits you pretty well, and a gun one might argue is as safe as a revolver. Maybe all you really need is a little more practice and self-confidence. We seem to have a natural tendency to focus on equipment (it's fun, cool, and gives us more excuses to buy guns!), but often the most benefit comes from developing our skills and confidence. :twocents:

And if you still want the extra "safety" devices, my recommendation would be a S&W M&P.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    In the 22 some-odd years (8147 days) that I've been carrying on a daily basis I have never had an accidental discharge with any weapon, not even a "non-manual safety" weapon.

I am not saying that it can't or wont ever happen, I am just saying that as long as you don't ever get lazy or careless with your gun handling, chances are that you should be just fine.

Top Bottom