• ...and so much more!
  • hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys

I got a question, could I buy a handgun without a license? I am not going to carry it anywhere beside shooting range. Is that legal in Indiana?
    I've been shooting at the range recently, start to love guns. Please help me with this.

Thanks

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yep. As long as you are a resident of Indiana, are at least 21 (to buy from a dealer) or 18 (for a private sale) and not legally prohibited from owning firearms.

:welcome: to :ingo:

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    ^^^what he said. Plus, make sure it's unloaded whenever you're transporting it in your car. Probably also best if it's cased and not visible. I would strongly advise you to apply for a lifetime license to carry anyway. You don't HAVE to carry the gun, but it sure is nice to have the license so that you don't even have to worry about it.

hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ^^^what he said. Plus, make sure it's unloaded whenever you're transporting it in your car. Probably also best if it's cased and not visible. I would strongly advise you to apply for a lifetime license to carry anyway. You don't HAVE to carry the gun, but it sure is nice to have the license so that you don't even have to worry about it.

I heard the 12-16 weeks long wait for recent applications, I will try to apply for one. The problem is I am not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, I'm an international college student. I sent an email to the ISP about my situation, hope they will reply.

Thank you for your information.
    This is a good site with full of nice people.
    :ingo:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It is not legal if you are a felon or otherwise not legally allowed to own a gun due to mental illness, or if you intend to buy it for someone else, or transfer it over state lines, etc. If you are not allowed to buy a gun and try, then I think it is a federal crime, even if you are denied, and you can be prosecuted.

If you are an adult resident of Indiana, and not a felon or mentally ill, you are by default legal to buy, and should be able to also obtain your LTCH with ease. I would go ahead and apply for a LTCH now, and get the lifetime self defense LTCH--it is your right, so why not validate it, even if you do not intend to carry? At the least an LTCH ensures an overzealous cop doesn't arrest you or confiscate your gun on the way to the range, or charge you as a felon if you accidentally leave your weapon in the car after going to the range.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I heard the 12-16 weeks long wait for recent applications, I will try to apply for one. The problem is I am not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, I'm an international college student. I sent an email to the ISP about my situation, hope they will reply.

Thank you for your information.
    This is a good site with full of nice people.
    :ingo:

Oh, that complicates things. We need a lawyer to chime in. I kinda doubt you can get your LTCH.

Last edited:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    You should be able to purchase one just fine. I doubt you can take it home with you though when you go back. Now if you're planning on staying on the u.s. you're fine. You can defiantly buy from a private dealer with ease.

hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thank you all for your answers, they are really helpful.
    I am from a country which we don't have a lot of rights and freedom:noway:, really admiring and jealous about you guys have the rights to own a gun to protect yourself:thumbsup:.
    Hope it will stay. :patriot:

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    As it sounds like you might be new to guns in general I'm sure most here would also suggest that you find and attend an NRA approved basic gun safety course.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    First, I hope you're not on campus housing. If found with a gun, you'll probably get expelled from your apartment, if not from your university.

Look into getting the LTCH first. Without it, you're going to be severely restricted in where you can go with your handgun. Sure, you can go straight from your home to the range, the gunsmith, etc., but that's about it. You cannot stop by MacDonald's on the way to the range. You cannot stop for gas on the way back from the store. If your car breaks down, you might have a problem. I wouldn't take that chance, since carrying a handgun outside of the scope of law is a very serious crime.

I'd consider a long gun -- probably a shotgun if you're interested in home defense. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but I believe you can carry a long gun without LTCH. No, I don't suggest walking around with a long gun, but you can avoid movement problems if you end up without an LTCH. Long guns are also more powerful, more accurate, and easier to shoot than handguns.

I looked at Form 4473, because I thought it had a box which implies that you either had to be a citizen or a permanent resident. But all I see is Box 15, a request for alien no. from non-citizens. So it doesn't seem that the federal government has a rule about it. I do know that some states allow firearm ownership for citizens only. Indiana is not one of them, but I don't know whether it sells guns to international students or gives them LTCH.

If you do get a gun, make sure to get training. Owning a firearm without proper training is a bad idea. You'll be more of a danger to yourself and your friends.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    First, I hope you're not on campus housing. If found with a gun, you'll probably get expelled from your apartment, if not from your university.

Look into getting the LTCH first. Without it, you're going to be severely restricted in where you can go with your handgun. Sure, you can go straight from your home to the range, the gunsmith, etc., but that's about it. You cannot stop by MacDonald's on the way to the range. You cannot stop for gas on the way back from the store. If your car breaks down, you might have a problem.
    I don't believe this is correct.

IC 35-47-2-1 Version aCarrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);(B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
    (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic
    battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun. (d) This section may be not construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:
    (A) prohibits; or
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b); or
    (3) to allow a person to adopt or enforce a law, statute, ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that allows a person to possess or transport a firearm or ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting the firearm or ammunition by state or federal law.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35; P.L.164-2011, SEC.1; P.L.6-2012, SEC.231.

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Can you explain furhter, chezuki? The law code passage you highlighted doesn't seem to address what you claim is false. My understanding is that without LTCH you cannot take detours while carrying a handgun, i.e., on the way to the range, you decide to go to that three-hour medical appointment you've worked into your schedule that day, and then you're hungry, so you go to MacDonald's for half an hour, and then you finally make it to the range.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It specifies the requirements for having the handgun in your vehicle. It doesn't matter where you're going or coming from. I think you're remembering the old verbiage that stipulated "to or from a place of purchase or repair" which was changed a couple years ago.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    It's perfectly legal to carry in your car as long as its unloaded. Also remember "out of sight out of mind" which is still legal as long as its unloaded. Just have a case to keep your gun in and don't worry about it. Just don't carry it loaded.

Top Bottom