• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    First, I hope you're not on campus housing. If found with a gun, you'll probably get expelled from your apartment, if not from your university.

Look into getting the LTCH first. Without it, you're going to be severely restricted in where you can go with your handgun. Sure, you can go straight from your home to the range, the gunsmith, etc., but that's about it. You cannot stop by MacDonald's on the way to the range. You cannot stop for gas on the way back from the store. If your car breaks down, you might have a problem. I wouldn't take that chance, since carrying a handgun outside of the scope of law is a very serious crime.

I'd consider a long gun -- probably a shotgun if you're interested in home defense. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but I believe you can carry a long gun without LTCH. No, I don't suggest walking around with a long gun, but you can avoid movement problems if you end up without an LTCH. Long guns are also more powerful, more accurate, and easier to shoot than handguns.

I looked at Form 4473, because I thought it had a box which implies that you either had to be a citizen or a permanent resident. But all I see is Box 15, a request for alien no. from non-citizens. So it doesn't seem that the federal government has a rule about it. I do know that some states allow firearm ownership for citizens only. Indiana is not one of them, but I don't know whether it sells guns to international students or gives them LTCH.

If you do get a gun, make sure to get training. Owning a firearm without proper training is a bad idea. You'll be more of a danger to yourself and your friends.

I just read the form 4473, seems like I could get a firearm since I do have admission number.
    I am living in campus BTW, I heard one guy get expelled in my campus because people saw his handgun on the waist.
    Thank you for your suggestion:yesway:, you are right, I don't want to get kicked out of here because I carry a handgun, not very smart.

hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's perfectly legal to carry in your car as long as its unloaded. Also remember "out of sight out of mind" which is still legal as long as its unloaded. Just have a case to keep your gun in and don't worry about it. Just don't carry it loaded.

Thanks:yesway:, that is also my understanding when I read the law.
    But is that legal that I carry it unloaded from my car to my apartment? I'm just curious.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...But is that legal that I carry it unloaded from my car to my apartment? I'm just curious.

Carry it unleaded and encased to and from the vehicle. Place it somewhere it is not readily accessible to you in the vehicle while you drive between places you can carry it without a license.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Just remember this, people who get really worried about getting caught usually do. Just do what we advised and you're fine. And don't worry so much to draw attention to yourself, you're in indiana haha not California.

hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey, guys, here is the update. Under Indiana law, I am okay to possess firearms. However, under federal law, if you hold a non-immigrant visa like an F1 or H1, gun ownership is barred unless you met a legal exemption. The easiest exemption to get is a valid hunting license from any US state.

Finally, I figured out the legal way to own a gun under both laws. :)
    I will get a hunting license next time when I go to Walmart. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom