• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My son (15 now) did pretty well from the start. Me, not so much. I think I went three years without a single good night's sleep, between stress from him and mostly his mom. We had the heartbeat bear, the battery powered swing (do not get the windup one) and the bouncy seat. He actually metal fatigued the bouncy seat. For colic, you need hyoscyamine (Levsin). It's magic in a bottle.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Many moons ago we had a Fisher Price Ocean sounds crib thing for our first. It had rotating fish and made wave sounds or bubbling water sounds, as well as a soothing light show. They still make a version of this, it might just fit the bill for what you need. Check your local stores.

Ocean Wonders Deep Blue Sea Sparkling Sea Soother - Fisher Price Toys - Ocean Wonders

They also make a stuffed animal that does the same thing.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    why not go to walmart or your store of choice and get one of those little fountains or whatever that you set on and end table and just set it on a nightstand close to the baby??

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Hi Mike, and CONGRATS!!! I got a chuckle from Bills response, just make sure YOU take the Valium yourself, don't give it to the baby. :) Later on as he gets old enough to take it, Triamnic Nite Lite works well in a pinch too. :):

I've read thru this entire post and all the replies, and I guess I must still be in the dinosaur age, because I never used any of those devices when our daughter was born. And granted, being that she just turned 23, some of them weren't around back then.

1st - Just a word of advice, don't rely on Dr. Spock for anything, other than a good door stop, otherwise it's useless! JMO

2nd- Am I the only one on here who was advised by my mom, sister, and various others, including her Pediatrician, that babies sleep when they want to, and don't when they don't want to? When they're first born, their schedule is all screwed up, especially because they go from total darkness in the womb, to a fully lighted hospital neonatal/nursery, where there's a lot of commotion going on, all the time, and it's always lighted. That's a fact you can't get away from, unless the hospital allows you to have the baby in your room, full time. We didn't have that option, ours was in the NNICU for 2 weeks after she was born due to a congenital kidney defect, and that she was 2 months premature.

Babies will cry when you put them down, because they're tired, cranky, colicky, want to be cuddled, are hungry, need to be changed, burped or just about any other reason you can think of. So check all of the above, and if nothing is wrong, then just let them cry!

That's been the norm for hundreds of years, and it's worked well for countless parents, especially before the age of technology and the invention of "white noise". While I'll admit that your first instinct when the baby cries is to go pick him up, that's not always the best option to use. Sure, the baby will cry, and cry, and cry, and cry, but that 1)helps improve their lung strength, and 2) makes them tired and they'll fall asleep naturally, eventually.

If you constantly use outside sources of putting the baby to sleep, you're creating a "crutch" that you'll need to rely on to get and keep the baby asleep for an undetermined amount of time. Letting them just cry, teaches them to comfort themselves, and after a week or two of this, they'll just naturally drift off to sleep, all by themselves. Granted Que's suggestion is a good one, and I used it for the first few months of our daughters life, but it was out of necessity. One, she had to have 3 major surgeries by the time she was 2 months old, was 2 months premature, and I was breastfeeding. With her needing the surgeries, I was understandably concerned for her health until the Dr.s pronounced her "fixed, and all better", so I kept her with me at all times. Second, since she was the only one I would ever be able to have, SIDS was NOT an option I was willing to risk. She also had a nephrostomy tube leading from her R Kidney into a urine bag, that I needed to keep an eye on so that it worked at all times. The 3rd surgery took care of that and she was able to live like a normal baby from then on.

I think the only thing I ever used was the old fashioned little mobie, that I'd wind up and just let run for however long it ran, then leave it alone. She was what we called "an easy keeper", and I was very blessed with IMO one of the best babies I've ever seen, even tho I'll admit I was (and still am) biased on that subject. She had her fits, some to the point I just had to leave the room and go outside for a smoke (while still keeping an ear out for her) so she didn't frazzle my nerves to badly. BUT it only lasted a short period of time, and after that, if she'd cry in the middle of the night, it was for one of the above reasons. I'd get up, feed her and sing to her while I did so, then change her diaper and put her back to bed. She slept peacefully from feeding to feeding, and at least I was able to get the amount of sleep required to function as a "normal person" and not be to sleep deprived. She adapted fast, newborns eat, poop, cry and sleep (not necessarily in that order) and by the age of 3 months, she was sleeping thru the night, with the exception of being fed every 5 to 6 hours or so. (As opposed to every 1 to 2 when she was a newborn.)

My sister came to visit us when our daughter was about 3 months old, and totally blew my schedule (or lack thereof) out of wack. She'd pick her up every time she'd so much as make an "uh" noise, stuff a bottle in her mouth, and start bouncing her up and down while walking around the house. Made me NUTS! After she left, it took about 2 weeks to get back into the original schedule, and we didn't have any more problems from then on.

Once the baby gets a bit older (ours was about 3 & 1/2 months old, when I started to cheat and rearrange her sleeping habits. I'm NOT an early riser, at least not by choice, and at this point, I'm not even human if I get awakened before I'm ready to get up. Funny thing tho, so is she now. :): I took to putting her down to sleep (in our room) about 8pm at night, and then, just before we went to bed, I'd wake her up, (I'd switched to a bottle of breastmilk at that point, with a cross cut nipple and a serving of baby cereal in it) have the bottle all ready, and feed that to her just before we turned in ourselves. I'd change her, and usually not hear another peep from her until at least 9 or 10 AM the next morning. At that point we'd both get up, I'd change her diaper and lay her down on a quilt in front of the TV, with either cartoons or CMT on it, get my stuff ready, then give her breakfast, consisting of either just breastmilk, or another bottle of the above concoction. The older she got, the less frequently she wanted to be fed. Oh, just an added bit of info, you can NOT microwave breastmilk, it ruins it.

As for the house, I NEVER EVER kept it quiet while she was sleeping. All the normal activity went on as usual, dogs barking, friends coming over, music or the TV on normal volume, CD's playing, or whatever. I NEVER did the "shhhuuusshhh, the baby's sleeping" thing, because doing that means that you have to be totally quiet (beyond anyone's control) and the baby tends to wake up at the sound of a pin dropping. I could even do the housework while she was asleep, including vacuuming underneath her crib, and not awaken her. She went down for a nap around noon, and slept for about 4 hours, regular as clockwork. You could almost set your watch to the second as to when she was due to wake up. I'd check on her of course, but she was always asleep, regardless of what was going on, inside or out. It just seemed like the common sense thing to do. I can't control what goes on outside, and the world doesn't stop, just because the baby is sleeping.

We had a party one July 4th, and all of us (about 15 people) were sitting on the front lawn enjoying the evening, with the stereo on loud enough for us to hear it thru the open windows. She'd gone down at the usual 8 pm, and even with all the ruckus, she slept thru the the entire party. She still sleeps like a rock, to this very day.

All the suggestions you've gotten are good ones, but if you want to fall back on the old fashioned "tried and true" method of just letting him cry, it won't hurt him in the slightest, and will probably save you quite a bit of money. And as for doing the car ride thing, with the price of gas these days (H*** it was about $1.50 a gal back then) it's cost prohibitive to say the least.

Best of luck, I'm just advising from my own experience, as I said, the others have given you good suggestions as well. Mine are just the "no fuss no muss" version.

Best wishes and good luck!
    7th Stepper

Last edited:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Oh, and just for chuckles, the song I'd sing to her was one I originally came up with. The song "Rock A Bye Baby" seemed a bit to violent, so I modified it a bit. It goes like this:

Rock a bye baby, close your sweet eyes,
    Mommy (or Daddy) is gorgeous, gentle and wise.
    You've been rocked and you've been fed....
    So sleep my angel, and don't wet the bed.

It had a lasting effect I found out later.....even when I was potty training her, and would use Huggies Pull Ups for nite time wear, she NEVER ONCE wet the bed! I guess you could call it a subliminal suggestion that stuck. Without my ever realizing that that was what I was doing..... :)

7th Stepper

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I'd just like to echo everything 7th Stepper said. For the first ten weeks, we were up about every 3-4 hours, but after that, she slept like a log for 12 hours at a time. Two years old, and she still does, even with an hour or two nap around noon. We never used white noise of any sort, unless she needed the humidifier because of a cold or whatever, but by then she was already sleeping through the night. In her own room. I can count on one hand how many times she's slept with us.

Oh and for the record, ours is the Best. Baby. Evar. Just sayin'. ;) And our song is "Amazing Grace." Usually works. :)

PS... best advice we ever got was from Techres: "you'll get a lot of advice, solicited and unsolicited, but if they haven't done it themselves in the last six months, take it with a grain of salt, and that includes me." Truer words were never spoken!

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Oh...uhhhh....no more salt...EVER! :puke:

Yea, Bill told me what happened to you! YUCK! That'd ruin me on salt for quite a while! HE salts everything, excessively. IMO But I think THAT much would ruin him on it for at least a month or so! EEEUUUU!!! ICKY ICKY ICKY! HUACK! (That's our kidletts new word, makes Bill almost do it at the very sound of it....:D) Now Elephant Ears were only something that I discovered when we moved here, and those I don't think I could EVER get tired of! :):

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My son did have a problem with wetting the bed as he got a little older. I solved it by wiring an alarm into his pullups that would wake both of us. That problem didn't last long; he got the waking up reflex going. Technology FTW.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Mine was an "early to bed/late to rise" kid, too. But she was NOT a day-napper.

Well, to be honest, #2 was 6pm to 6am when he finally got out of that newborn craziness. And #1 wasn't a great day napper, but #2 was. I'm convinced it was God's way of mitigating the fact that he's difficult in everything else. Whereas #1 was a perfect little angel, and though I obviously didn't take this route, he's the kid I could have not babyproofed for and been okay. #2 is going to be on a first name basis with the ER I'm afraid.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    #2 is going to be on a first name basis with the ER I'm afraid.

Reminds me of a friend of mine's boy. I clipped a cartoon and sent it to her that she has in her office on the wall. It's a little kid on a trike, next to a homemade ramp of all kinds of toys...and he's yelling, "Hey, Mom! I need a bandaid!!"
    She yells back, "What for??"...he says, "I don't know yet! I never tried this trick!" :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Heh, my sister in law and I had mine crawling across the dining room the first time he learned. He went from me to her, then from her to... the nearest electrical outlet. The next week I caught him picking the outlet cover out of one. Fortunately he never found out why that was a bad idea. Well, I did the same kind of thing when I was a sprig; my mom caught me tampering with a broken outlet behind a chair.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hi Mike, and CONGRATS!!! I got a chuckle from Bills response, just make sure YOU take the Valium yourself, don't give it to the baby. :) Later on as he gets old enough to take it, Triamnic Nite Lite works well in a pinch too. :):

I've read thru this entire post and all the replies, and I guess I must still be in the dinosaur age, because I never used any of those devices when our daughter was born. And granted, being that she just turned 23, some of them weren't around back then.

1st - Just a word of advice, don't rely on Dr. Spock for anything, other than a good door stop, otherwise it's useless! JMO

2nd- Am I the only one on here who was advised by my mom, sister, and various others, including her Pediatrician, that babies sleep when they want to, and don't when they don't want to? When they're first born, their schedule is all screwed up, especially because they go from total darkness in the womb, to a fully lighted hospital neonatal/nursery, where there's a lot of commotion going on, all the time, and it's always lighted. That's a fact you can't get away from, unless the hospital allows you to have the baby in your room, full time. We didn't have that option, ours was in the NNICU for 2 weeks after she was born due to a congenital kidney defect, and that she was 2 months premature.

Babies will cry when you put them down, because they're tired, cranky, colicky, want to be cuddled, are hungry, need to be changed, burped or just about any other reason you can think of. So check all of the above, and if nothing is wrong, then just let them cry!

That's been the norm for hundreds of years, and it's worked well for countless parents, especially before the age of technology and the invention of "white noise". While I'll admit that your first instinct when the baby cries is to go pick him up, that's not always the best option to use. Sure, the baby will cry, and cry, and cry, and cry, but that 1)helps improve their lung strength, and 2) makes them tired and they'll fall asleep naturally, eventually.

If you constantly use outside sources of putting the baby to sleep, you're creating a "crutch" that you'll need to rely on to get and keep the baby asleep for an undetermined amount of time. Letting them just cry, teaches them to comfort themselves, and after a week or two of this, they'll just naturally drift off to sleep, all by themselves. Granted Que's suggestion is a good one, and I used it for the first few months of our daughters life, but it was out of necessity. One, she had to have 3 major surgeries by the time she was 2 months old, was 2 months premature, and I was breastfeeding. With her needing the surgeries, I was understandably concerned for her health until the Dr.s pronounced her "fixed, and all better", so I kept her with me at all times. Second, since she was the only one I would ever be able to have, SIDS was NOT an option I was willing to risk. She also had a nephrostomy tube leading from her R Kidney into a urine bag, that I needed to keep an eye on so that it worked at all times. The 3rd surgery took care of that and she was able to live like a normal baby from then on.

I think the only thing I ever used was the old fashioned little mobie, that I'd wind up and just let run for however long it ran, then leave it alone. She was what we called "an easy keeper", and I was very blessed with IMO one of the best babies I've ever seen, even tho I'll admit I was (and still am) biased on that subject. She had her fits, some to the point I just had to leave the room and go outside for a smoke (while still keeping an ear out for her) so she didn't frazzle my nerves to badly. BUT it only lasted a short period of time, and after that, if she'd cry in the middle of the night, it was for one of the above reasons. I'd get up, feed her and sing to her while I did so, then change her diaper and put her back to bed. She slept peacefully from feeding to feeding, and at least I was able to get the amount of sleep required to function as a "normal person" and not be to sleep deprived. She adapted fast, newborns eat, poop, cry and sleep (not necessarily in that order) and by the age of 3 months, she was sleeping thru the night, with the exception of being fed every 5 to 6 hours or so. (As opposed to every 1 to 2 when she was a newborn.)

My sister came to visit us when our daughter was about 3 months old, and totally blew my schedule (or lack thereof) out of wack. She'd pick her up every time she'd so much as make an "uh" noise, stuff a bottle in her mouth, and start bouncing her up and down while walking around the house. Made me NUTS! After she left, it took about 2 weeks to get back into the original schedule, and we didn't have any more problems from then on.

Once the baby gets a bit older (ours was about 3 & 1/2 months old, when I started to cheat and rearrange her sleeping habits. I'm NOT an early riser, at least not by choice, and at this point, I'm not even human if I get awakened before I'm ready to get up. Funny thing tho, so is she now. :): I took to putting her down to sleep (in our room) about 8pm at night, and then, just before we went to bed, I'd wake her up, (I'd switched to a bottle of breastmilk at that point, with a cross cut nipple and a serving of baby cereal in it) have the bottle all ready, and feed that to her just before we turned in ourselves. I'd change her, and usually not hear another peep from her until at least 9 or 10 AM the next morning. At that point we'd both get up, I'd change her diaper and lay her down on a quilt in front of the TV, with either cartoons or CMT on it, get my stuff ready, then give her breakfast, consisting of either just breastmilk, or another bottle of the above concoction. The older she got, the less frequently she wanted to be fed. Oh, just an added bit of info, you can NOT microwave breastmilk, it ruins it.

As for the house, I NEVER EVER kept it quiet while she was sleeping. All the normal activity went on as usual, dogs barking, friends coming over, music or the TV on normal volume, CD's playing, or whatever. I NEVER did the "shhhuuusshhh, the baby's sleeping" thing, because doing that means that you have to be totally quiet (beyond anyone's control) and the baby tends to wake up at the sound of a pin dropping. I could even do the housework while she was asleep, including vacuuming underneath her crib, and not awaken her. She went down for a nap around noon, and slept for about 4 hours, regular as clockwork. You could almost set your watch to the second as to when she was due to wake up. I'd check on her of course, but she was always asleep, regardless of what was going on, inside or out. It just seemed like the common sense thing to do. I can't control what goes on outside, and the world doesn't stop, just because the baby is sleeping.

We had a party one July 4th, and all of us (about 15 people) were sitting on the front lawn enjoying the evening, with the stereo on loud enough for us to hear it thru the open windows. She'd gone down at the usual 8 pm, and even with all the ruckus, she slept thru the the entire party. She still sleeps like a rock, to this very day.

All the suggestions you've gotten are good ones, but if you want to fall back on the old fashioned "tried and true" method of just letting him cry, it won't hurt him in the slightest, and will probably save you quite a bit of money. And as for doing the car ride thing, with the price of gas these days (H*** it was about $1.50 a gal back then) it's cost prohibitive to say the least.

Best of luck, I'm just advising from my own experience, as I said, the others have given you good suggestions as well. Mine are just the "no fuss no muss" version.

Best wishes and good luck!
    7th Stepper

I love your posts. They aren't as often as others but they are packed with info. I second the idea about not creating crutches. My BIL can't go to sleep if there is any noise, his mom made sure it was quiet when he took a nap. My daughter can sleep through anything. My wife used to run the sweeper when she was sleeping, we even took her to the range when she was six months old.

Food for thought.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I solved it by wiring an alarm into his pullups that would wake both of us.
    So you hot wired a diaper??? :):

images

I prefer the background noise of hookers. It doesn't make the kid sleep better...but it sure helps me. :D

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child:Amazon:Books

We found this book helpful. If the child is only a few days old, I wouldn't try to figure any set thing out. As has been said, they become crutches. Routine is great: dinner, play, bath, book and rock, bed. Every night. Becomes almost pavlovian.

I'm guessing you are more interested in the child sleeping than they are At this point :)

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    Hey guys, I just brought my first baby home from the hospital and he has trouble falling asleep some nights. Running water really seems to help. Running a tap all night would kill us when it came time to pay up. We are running some sounds on the computer and he likes them. I cant find a site that I can loop the sound or download a sound into windows media player and play it on repeat.

Surely someone has done this before!

Mike

It can take a couple of weeks before they get their schedule in sync with yours.

We learned the hard way that you need to put your child to bed while the child is still slightly awake, which may mean jostling them slightly to wake them up just as you lay them down. Our first child we rocked to sleep and it came back and bit us 6 months later when he didn't know how to fall asleep on his own in the middle of the night.

Good luck. The first 3-4 months are very tiring and frustrating.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Congrats on the new baby!

We found that the sleep sheep helps.

Cloud B Sleep Sheep Plush Sound Machine with Four Soothing Sounds - Cloud B - Toys "R" Us

It 8 weeks of torture for both of our little ones before they finally starting sleeping well. And not to scare you, but my 5 month old just started sleeping through the night in the past couple of days. He's been getting up once or twice during the night for the past couple months though and that is more manageable.

Also, we used the sleep sheep with my daughter but it didn't work for our son, so we bought one of those $10 box fans and put it in the closet facing in and set it to high. Really helps block out noise from the rest of the house and seemed to provide enough background noise for the boy to start sleeping better.

Top Bottom