• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    My EDC is a G27 and I have a G23. I went to gander mountain today to look at a smaller handgun. I've always kinda liked the Walther PPK - but there was quite the selection of "smaller" handguns. Since I don't know much about handguns other than Glocks, I was hoping you could give me some thoughts. I saw some at Gander for $599 up to $1000 for what appeared to be the same handgun. I don't know the difference between a ruger, h&k, s&w, or whatever else was there.

Where should I begin my search for a BUG. Something I might pocket carry. Looking for something smaller than the G27. I'm thinking the .380 is the route I'd like to go. Price isn't really an issue - but always a consideration. I'd prefer night sights or a laser option if possible.

help!

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    if your looken for a 380 i would go with a sig 238 or a colt poctetlite. im not a reall big ppk ppk/s fan. if you like a laser then i would go with a smith n wesson body guard. they shoot well but have tearible triggers.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Anything much bigger than the ruger lcp might well be to big to pocket carry, had an lc9 and it would fit in a pocket but printed like a neon sign.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    My EDC is a G27 and I have a G23. I went to gander mountain today to look at a smaller handgun. I've always kinda liked the Walther PPK - but there was quite the selection of "smaller" handguns. Since I don't know much about handguns other than Glocks, I was hoping you could give me some thoughts. I saw some at Gander for $599 up to $1000 for what appeared to be the same handgun. I don't know the difference between a ruger, h&k, s&w, or whatever else was there.

Where should I begin my search for a BUG. Something I might pocket carry. Looking for something smaller than the G27. I'm thinking the .380 is the route I'd like to go. Price isn't really an issue - but always a consideration. I'd prefer night sights or a laser option if possible.

help!
    Checkout the SigSauer P238 chambered in .380 or you could step up to a SigSauer P938 chambered in 9mm. Both are high quality firearms and should fit in your pocket if necessary.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    S&W 442/642 with Crimson Trace boot grips. I know it isn't an auto but I have yet to find something that gives a better combination or should I say compromise of size and power. Of course it is not a lot smaller then a G27, but it will fit in a pocket.

Maybe wait and check out the Glock 42?

If I were in the market for a little .380 I would check out the Kahr PM380.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Depending on how much smaller than your G27 you are looking for, take a fondle on a Kahr PM or CM 9 or 40. I used to carry my G27 all the time until I picked up a CM40. Single stack and a fantastic trigger have me taking this one wherever I go most of the time. It is pocketable, but not like an LCP is pocketable. I can't pull it off in dress pants but in jeans I find the Kahr very pocketable.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    One thing to keep in mind, as I've found in my rather exhaustive search for pocket guns, is the overall weight that will be banging against your leg all day. It's one thing to have it fit in the pocket, but how does it feel thumping against your leg as you go through a day? I've managed to carry a Shield, G26, XDs, Nano, CM9, 642, Bodyguard 380, LCP, and LCR (think that's the whole list :) ). If you do lots of banging around at work and you're covering a lot of ground through the day, you'll notice the weight of your pocket gun as much as anything. Depends on what you're willing to live with and the compromise it represents. I'm down to lightweight guns for that use all the time - so LCP, P380, the new CW380, etc., win my vote FWIW.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Great input, I'm now off to research these options some more. I appreciate the help!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    One thing to keep in mind, as I've found in my rather exhaustive search for pocket guns, is the overall weight that will be banging against your leg all day. It's one thing to have it fit in the pocket, but how does it feel thumping against your leg as you go through a day? I've managed to carry a Shield, G26, XDs, Nano, CM9, 642, Bodyguard 380, LCP, and LCR (think that's the whole list :) ). If you do lots of banging around at work and you're covering a lot of ground through the day, you'll notice the weight of your pocket gun as much as anything. Depends on what you're willing to live with and the compromise it represents. I'm down to lightweight guns for that use all the time - so LCP, P380, the new CW380, etc., win my vote FWIW.

Even with a pocket gun I still wear a good belt to support the weight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    I used to sell for Gander and have owned a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. I liked it because it concealed great but I traded it because it kicked like a mule. If I were in the market for a 380 I would look at the Bersa Thunder 380 or the Ruger LC380 if pocket carry/concealability were importantl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    I used to sell firearms at Gander. I have owned the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. I liked it because of concealability but I traded it because it kicked like a mule. If I were in the market for a 380 I would look at the Ruger LC380 or the Bersa Thunder 380. You might also consider the Ruger LCR in 38 caliber. It has a great trigger, is concealable and good stopping power for a small gun.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    One of the best firearms educators on the ninerwebs..
    [video=youtube;WT3gkXyxhuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT3gkXyxhuA[/video]

If you want to know more about specific guns, check ot more of his vids. Hes alittle long winded by some peoples standards, but I listen to talk radio most of the time, so I like that. Hes honest and straight forward, and hes all about education, and I dont think you can learn too much when it comes to firearms. Hell, I find myself watching his fundamentals videos sometimes just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom