Need a new progressive loader, which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    OK, I've added a case feeder and have spent some time dialing in the machine. Wow, I've cranked out over 1000 9mm and in those there were some issues, 95% were operator related, old guy new machine... the 5% that weren't were all related to to timing and just a little fussing with a plastic shim to make the case feeder work perfect...

I've got 30 years experience working on million dollar machines that need fussing with on a regular basis so before anybody spouts off on how it should be perfect out out of the box, know that I'll disagree :)

I really believe this machine is much better than the Dillon 550, remember I bought one of those in '85 and used it up until getting this so I think I can say that with some confidence. I love it, it's better than sliced bread, it's... well now I can almost load as fast as I shoot :) well at least on the off days catch up!!!

I really like the case feeder, wish I would have had one years ago, it really lets me focus on the other stations, and with this machine a lot is happening at once. If I didn't load so many cast bullets I would spring for the bullet feeder too.

Anyway in my book the Hornady LNL AP is a winner! :D

I must mention too, during assembly of the case feeder, either I misplaced (totally possible) or wasn't included a spring. I called Hornady and told them that I may have lost the spring, and anyway needed one. Gave this delightful young lady my zip and she pulled up my info and it was on the way, no BS, no hassle, no charge, arrived two days later... I'm happy.. If you are looking for a five station progressive press I highly recommend the Hornady LNL AP... now all I have to do is get the wife to load the primer tubes and I'll be set :)

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I am really glad the Hornady worked out for you. I am hoping to put a bullet feeder on mine before the winter reloading season begins. If it works like everything else on my Hornady LNL, it should really speed up the process.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    It did, I had to do a little tweeking with a shim to get the shell to drop in a little more forward position, once I did that it is click click click. It was amazing to me how adding the feeder speeded things up. Just place a bullet and pull the handle, love it!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I've been rocking a Dillon 550 for pistol rounds for 20 years but when i'm loading match ammo I only use 2 out of the 4 case slots on the shell plate. This seems to give me less friction or something somewhere and results in less rounds that fail to pass the chamber test.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    When using all 4 positions it seems to produce quite a bit of rounds with bulged bases. This is 40cal I'm dealing with. If I were starting over i would seriously consider going with something else, but depends on intended purpose like everything else I guess.

lordt313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Bonita Springs, FL
    To stick with whats been said, if you can swing the extra cash for a Dillon 650 with the case feeder it is WELL worth it in time savings, the auto indexing is why i purchased one. I have had it for two years now, put around 45k rounds through it and she is still running strong, plus you cant beat dillons warranty as I'm sure you already know.

Reloader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    For the money the Loadmaster is hard to beat. I have one setup for .45acp with case and bullet feeder and it absolutely rocks with no issues.

Dillions and LNL rock as well but the savings for me went to additional componets

Top Bottom