• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm looking at outfitting my Mini-14 with a NcStar rail for a red dot optic and I was wondering; is there a consensus on NcStar as a whole? Are they a decent accessory manufacturer? Do they do some things well and others not so well? They're much cheaper than other manufacturers (Chinese knock off I'm sure). :dunno:

Here are the exact components:
    http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=194
    http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=444

I feel this is a "get what you pay for" scenario.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    For the most part they are not so good. However I have had an NcStar holo sight on my AR for over a year and it seems to hold zero ok even when changing between reticules. I certainly would not recommend them for SHTF or battle use, but they are better than nothing for light range work while you save up for a better sight...

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I'm looking at outfitting my Mini-14 with a NcStar rail for a red dot optic and I was wondering; is there a consensus on NcStar as a whole? Are they a decent accessory manufacturer? Do they do some things well and others not so well? They're much cheaper than other manufacturers (Chinese knock off I'm sure). :dunno:

Here are the exact components:
    Welcome to NcSTAR
    Welcome to NcSTAR

I feel this is a "get what you pay for" scenario.

I wouldn't buy that there are much better options in that price range. I have heard some good things about this sight..

[ame]http://youtu.be/NTqJnIGQ7h4[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/WfWz7kBg67w[/ame]

Lucid HD7 Red-Dot Optic | Assault Rifle Accessories at Discount Prices | Steel City Armory

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    There are bottom of the barrel optics (Simmons, Tasco, BSA), and then there is the residual slime that's scraped out of the bottom of the barrel optics (Barska, NC Star).
    You would be much better served by anything else, including the factory iron sights.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I don't know about that, I have a NC Star scope that I use on my AR off and on for plinking, now I am not saying I would take it into battle or anything but for plinking and general fun it has worked well. I've put between 3 and 4 hundred rounds though it so far. I usually use irons but sometimes it's nice to slap the scope on with its quick attatch method and have a close up view. :twocents:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    To generalize and lump things in "categories" I'll throw out my experiences and what I've seen.

Optics: Worst of the Worst... don't even try it
    Accessories: On par for Chinese knock-offs, for the most part they will get the job done for very little money, but don't expect more out of them than you pay for.
    Rifle cases and other "gear": Pretty good bang for your buck. The only dislike I have about them is they don't use YKK zippers and they are sometimes hard to open/close. Other than that you just can't beat the price. I have the rifle case/shooting mat/drag bag combo for my long-range gun. I really like it, and there is no way you can even come close to finding something similar for near the price. I paid $55 for mine and I would say it has nearly $55 is material, straps, snaps, buckles etc on it. I know I wouldn't even try to make one when I can buy it for that price.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have a NCStar that the guy at a gun show threw in with a rifle purchase. I put it on my 10/22 and it works just fine. Good enough for a rolling golf ball at 30 yards all day long.

I had a Barsca spotting scope that I left in the burn barrel the first time I took it to the range. 'Nuff said on that one.

Top Bottom