• Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I realize that.

I just think it should be reinforced how sad a state of affairs the equipping of Our Guard truly is...

That sort of depends upon your State and the type of unit. Wisconsin Guard, for example, is currently deployed to Afghanistan w/UH-60Ms (they were among the first Guard units to get UH-60As, Ls as well).

Although they're not on the MTOE, every pilot/copilot was issued an M4 for their deployment to Iraq/Afghanistan (as well as the M9 pistol); the Assault company was issued M240s, and the aircraft were outfitted with the latest CM and environmental control equipment prior to deployment.

Depending upon how well the 4-staff can articulate a need, and the priority of the unit type, all sorts of stuff is available to deploying units. Those who are supposed to have it (by MTOE) and don't, it's usually because a deployed unit has them instead.

DoD/Army Staff has done pretty well equipping deploying Guard units for the past few years, but the SOF/18th Airborne guys are always going to get the best stuff first.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    The one in New Castle M16's and other arms in its large storage area. That being said...I had several relatives who did their duty there including one who's weekend duty was playing checkers while on weekend training. From what I was told over the years they never kept any ammunition there that they could access. I did see the armory and was to young at the time to pay a lot of attention but do know I seen M16's and I beieve some M60's but can't say for sure of anything else. For all of the people acting like this is a big secret deal then get over it as the armory in New Castle is closed now anyway.

Back in 1981, the Armory in New Castle sponsored an Explorer Post. I was a member of that Explorer Post. They gave us a tour of the arms area. I remember seeing M16-A1's. Most of those were Vietnam-era, I believe. They were manufactured by Harrington & Richardson. I saw M-60's. They even had some M-3 submachine guns. I remember a rack of 1911's. They even had a rack of Colt Woodsman Target pistols for their pistol team. I believe there were also Ma Deuces for the vehicles, as well. Keep in mind, this was 30 years ago. And the Armory is closed now. The only thing I want to know is what happened to the target pistols.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Back in 1981, the Armory in New Castle sponsored an Explorer Post. I was a member of that Explorer Post. They gave us a tour of the arms area. I remember seeing M16-A1's. Most of those were Vietnam-era, I believe. They were manufactured by Harrington & Richardson. I saw M-60's. They even had some M-3 submachine guns. I remember a rack of 1911's. They even had a rack of Colt Woodsman Target pistols for their pistol team. I believe there were also Ma Deuces for the vehicles, as well. Keep in mind, this was 30 years ago. And the Armory is closed now. The only thing I want to know is what happened to the target pistols.
    The target pistols may still be there if any of the local unit are participants in Guard Marksmanship contests. Otherwise, they're probably back at the state Army Marksmanship Unit down at Cp Atterbury.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I realize that.

I just think it should be reinforced how sad a state of affairs the equipping of Our Guard truly is...
    I dont know what your talking about the indiana guard is one of the most well equipped and well trained and funded national guard in the country. We have better mission capabilities than alot of active duty units.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    Depends on the unit, usually small arms. No ammo (or very very little), no fuel , or explosives. If the SHTF...they will take it all with them so it will be empty.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I dont know what your talking about the indiana guard is one of the most well equipped and well trained and funded national guard in the country. We have better mission capabilities than alot of active duty units.

Really?! The INARNG is a very poorly equipped force.
    How about little to no funding for Career Advancement Schooling...
    Comms Tech that is scattered across the Decades.
    NVG's that some date back to being GEN 1 gear...
    Weapons that date from M-16A1 to the Current M-4, depending on the units deployment cycle...
    Vehicles that are Unserv. The State has the Money to purchase Armored Equipment, just not the budget to buy parts to maintain anything...

I could go on and on and on with listing problems. Sadly your opening sentence is true. the INARNG is one of the better equipped, trained and funded Guards in the Nation.

As far as having a Better Mission Capabilities than an Active Unit. You might want to rethink that sentence for a little bit... ;)

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Loose lips sink ships:) That being said, I was stationed on a sub tender and I won't tell what was on her. We did have ice cream though....

Which tender were you on?

Our armory has circus and tool sale thats crappier than harbor frieght every so often.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Weapons that date from M-16A1 to the Current M-4, depending on the units deployment cycle...
    Vehicles that are Unserv. The State has the Money to purchase Armored Equipment, just not the budget to buy parts to maintain anything...

I could go on and on and on with listing problems. Sadly your opening sentence is true. the INARNG is one of the better equipped, trained and funded Guards in the Nation.

As far as having a Better Mission Capabilities than an Active Unit. You might want to rethink that sentence for a little bit... ;)

In a lot of ways, Guard equipment runs the gamut from ultra-modern to Third Generation. Some of the equipment/weapons you get to take into combat don't follow you home. Funding for training is always a problem, as is catching up with the latest commo advancements and training, but the Guard isn't doing badly in that respect, and DoD/Dept. of the Army has been working to bring Guard units up to Active equipment levels as they require Guard units to be able to perform at Active Duty unit levels. This is a far cry from Guard/Reserve units in the 70s and 80s, especially with units who perform active combat duties. Spare parts budgets seem to be an on-going nightmare for everyone; certainly the Aviation Brigade, with its elderly H60 fleet, has trouble keeping them flying.

All that aside, for the two years I worked in Logistics and attended the Logistics Working Group meetings, the state looked to be working hard to meet EVERY logistic need articulated by the S-4s. Of course, with operations in Iraq shutting down and the last round of deployments finished, the flow of money we experienced for the last 10 years is drying up; at least a 20% reduction FY12. Things are going to get really lean again until the next major conflict where you're needed comes along.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    im just speaking from what ive seen the last four years. Ive trained with other units all over the state and i havnt seen anything that supports we are under funded. In my unit and as well as others ive crossed trained with we are getting nothing but the latest and "greatest"

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Indiana is a cool state as far as the Guard goes. It also depends on which side of the Guard you fall in. If you fall into the Enhanced Brigades you will see better funding. If not its still not as bad as other states but not as good. I ve been out 3 plus years now but we had no lack of toys on my 2nd tour to Iraq.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I suspect most folks don't realize how large an organization the Indiana Army & Air Guard is. I believe we are (or used to be) something like the 4th or 5th largest Guard contingent in the nation, in terms of numbers and units. The state has two Air Guard Wings, an Army Guard Division HQ, two Separate Infantry Brigades, an Aviation Brigade HQ, an Aviation Battalion HQ, an Assault Helicopter Company, and a Aeromedical Evacuation Company (minus a detachment in some other state). We also have a Battlefield Surveillance Brigade HQ and the Camp Atterbury Joint Training Center, along with the Muscatatuk Urban Warfare Training Area. California Guard is bigger, Texas Guard is bigger, Georgia MAY be bigger, can't think of any others off-hand who have more people and stuff than we do. And we've proven we can do the job along with the Active Duty types since prior to 9/11/2001. That's a far cry from the way it was in the 70s and early 80s.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I suspect most folks don't realize how large an organization the Indiana Army & Air Guard is. I believe we are (or used to be) something like the 4th or 5th largest Guard contingent in the nation, in terms of numbers and units. The state has two Air Guard Wings, an Army Guard Division HQ, two Separate Infantry Brigades, an Aviation Brigade HQ, an Aviation Battalion HQ, an Assault Helicopter Company, and a Aeromedical Evacuation Company (minus a detachment in some other state). We also have a Battlefield Surveillance Brigade HQ and the Camp Atterbury Joint Training Center, along with the Muscatatuk Urban Warfare Training Area. California Guard is bigger, Texas Guard is bigger, Georgia MAY be bigger, can't think of any others off-hand who have more people and stuff than we do. And we've proven we can do the job along with the Active Duty types since prior to 9/11/2001. That's a far cry from the way it was in the 70s and early 80s.
    LOL...

I am firmly aware of how large the State Guard is (Last I knew We where Number 3 on the list as far as Size...). I am also quite proud of that fact and how much We can do as a State Guard. However, We still have LOTS of issues and concerns. Some of which have been addressed her, some which persons may think to address further, and several which I will not address at all.

You are correct through in your statement that We have come a far little bit since the '70's and '80's. My Caveat is it is about a 1/4 of the distance that we should be at right now...

Maybe I just expect far to much...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I retired 4 years ago, and got rid of our M-16 A1's years ago, I "thought" all A 1's were gone !!!!!

Top Bottom