• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    E5 Ranger and Mattkelly hit it pretty square. One thing to consider is different ARNG Armories have different MOS's or Mission Occupation Specialty. Some large armories have several different units trained in different MOS's. Smaller ones may house a unit with a single MOS, for example 13B, Field Artillery, or 11B, Infantry.

Based upon the MOS of the unit, you will see different things. The reason the armory building is so large is because it houses a place for the entire unit to assemble in ranks for their monthly drill. This large area also doubles as a basketball court/ PT area. Several Armories host after school activities for middle school and high school kids, both to keep them off the streets, and possibly sway their young minds into an interest in serving (no doubt).

Recruitment offices, CO/NCO offices, a kitchen, gear storage (everything from uniforms to vehicle maintenance parts), and weapons storage is pretty typical of all armories, and yes, the weapons storage is linked into the city/county and state police.

I know that for the most part there are no explosives/ ordnance on site, but I believe each armory stocks a small amount of ammo in a safe within the gun room that only the CO has access to. I asked the question "Is there ammo in there?" once, and got a look like "WTF do you think?" When I asked "Is it one of those deals where only the CO can gain access for distribution?" the answer was "Something like that..."

Hope that helps.

BTW, every time I see E5Ranger post I say it Sergeant Ranger in my head. lol

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep, pretty much. everything I said is pretty common knowledge. I didnt give up anything that could compromise an armory. for those of you who have been inside one, all the doors pretty much look the same dont they? its like a maze. If someone wants to steal something from an armory then they are already messed up in the head and they are gonna do it anyways, and probably die. if you hear military then you can be assured they have access to weapons if needed. so for all thise who are thinking something like "loose lips sink ships" its not even close to that. I understand someone who is still active not being able to divulge info like that, even how simple and common it was, but im not anymore and have no problem answering simple innocent questions. I would not do anything to put my brothers of the military in harms way.
    If we wanted to sink ships im sure collectively we all could sink one or two. but that wasnt the point here.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    the last national guard armory I was in, still had some old 1911's, and M16's from the 70's. as well as M60's :rockwoot:

Gawd I hated it when they took my '60 away and gave us the [strike]POS[/strike] SAW!!
    Nothin' like the sound of the pig laying down suppressive fire.
    :( Now I'm all teary eyed <sniff> Thanks a lot E5Ranger! :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    They coffee machines, bbq grills, coolers, all of it is ready to hit the feild for a little week end get away from the family.:D

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've never been in one, but I'm sure they're called "armories" for a reason.

What would one expect to find in a military building called an "armory?"

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    so for all thise who are thinking something like "loose lips sink ships" its not even close to that. I understand someone who is still active not being able to divulge info like that, even how simple and common it was, but im not anymore and have no problem answering simple innocent questions. I would not do anything to put my brothers of the military in harms way.

Don't worry, that little dipstick, Pvt Manning already sunk the ship using Wikileaks... :xmad:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    the last national guard armory I was in, still had some old 1911's, and M16's from the 70's. as well as M60's :rockwoot:

The one in New Castle M16's and other arms in its large storage area. That being said...I had several relatives who did their duty there including one who's weekend duty was playing checkers while on weekend training. From what I was told over the years they never kept any ammunition there that they could access. I did see the armory and was to young at the time to pay a lot of attention but do know I seen M16's and I beieve some M60's but can't say for sure of anything else. For all of the people acting like this is a big secret deal then get over it as the armory in New Castle is closed now anyway.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    E5 Ranger and Mattkelly hit it pretty square. One thing to consider is different ARNG Armories have different MOS's or Mission Occupation Specialty. Some large armories have several different units trained in different MOS's. Smaller ones may house a unit with a single MOS, for example 13B, Field Artillery, or 11B, Infantry.

Based upon the MOS of the unit, you will see different things. The reason the armory building is so large is because it houses a place for the entire unit to assemble in ranks for their monthly drill. This large area also doubles as a basketball court/ PT area. Several Armories host after school activities for middle school and high school kids, both to keep them off the streets, and possibly sway their young minds into an interest in serving (no doubt).

Recruitment offices, CO/NCO offices, a kitchen, gear storage (everything from uniforms to vehicle maintenance parts), and weapons storage is pretty typical of all armories, and yes, the weapons storage is linked into the city/county and state police.

I know that for the most part there are no explosives/ ordnance on site, but I believe each armory stocks a small amount of ammo in a safe within the gun room that only the CO has access to. I asked the question "Is there ammo in there?" once, and got a look like "WTF do you think?" When I asked "Is it one of those deals where only the CO can gain access for distribution?" the answer was "Something like that..."

Hope that helps.

BTW, every time I see E5Ranger post I say it Sargent Ranger in my head. lol

this is correct for the most part, supply sgts also have access to it so yes there is a supply of ammo at each armory, what or how much I will not say because it varies by armory and what MOSs are housed there. Some MOSs have different weapon systems. Also in most armories that I served in, there is equipment for riot control, floods and other state emergencies in which the guard may get involved in. And yeah, them alarms are very sensitive, we decided to do sprints in our gym one time and actually set the alarms off by running across the floors. Should have seen the look on our faces when about 15 cops showed up in full gear ready to nail us to the wall. even if one were to get into the arms room, which is damn near impossible, they still wont be able to get the weapons out, too many security checks and systems, by the time youd get, that armory would be surrounded with every law enforcement agency in the land

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have to say this, being in an Armory, for 20+ years, JOIN, and find out for yourself !!!!! I'll bet you will be DISAPPOINTED !!!!! :twocents: :yesway:

I don't know...we used to go visit my uncle and my friends Dad when they were on "duty" and witnessed some pretty intense checker games.:laugh:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Gawd I hated it when they took my '60 away and gave us the [strike]POS[/strike] SAW!!
    Nothin' like the sound of the pig laying down suppressive fire.
    :( Now I'm all teary eyed <sniff> Thanks a lot E5Ranger! :D

:yesway:
    I was on active duty for 8+ years through 4 duty stations and was assigned the M60 at every one of them. I never could understand how troops couldn't make the 12 mile road march under the time limit carrying just an M-16 for a weapon.:dunno:
    I loved doing the assault (walking) course of fire when I was in Korea:rockwoot:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    :yesway:
    I was on active duty for 8+ years through 4 duty stations and was assigned the M60 at every one of them. I never could understand how troops couldn't make the 12 mile road march under the time limit carrying just an M-16 for a weapon.:dunno:
    I loved doing the assault (walking) course of fire when I was in Korea:rockwoot:

Yeah,,,no doubt. I remember on one particular road march during PLDC, I ended up with the M60, spare barrel, AND the PRC77. The NCO advisor was having a field day with the guys who couldn't keep up. It was kinda funny, actually. :laugh:

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Bottom line, you won't find what you are looking for. Sure as said before they do have weapons there. Maybe even a few tricked out M4's. Without shape charges (or the keys and codes for locks), you wont get anything out of it. You won't find much ammo either - most of the stuff is being sent downrange and if you actually want bullets you typically have to wait or order well in advance of a range.

Not worth the trip in a SHTF scene. You'd probably get mowed down by some idiots who already claimed the place for themselves.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They call them an "armory" so that you would never figure that they store the zombies there!!!

Rats, now the secret is out as to where the zombies hide!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If someone where to exercise a little sense and logic it is pretty easy to figure out what one might have in the Armory next to them.

That said I will not tell, not because it is some kinda secret. Secret more like a sick joke. But do you list off all the toys you have secured inside your home?!
    Why not?!
    Exactly...

Top Bottom