• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was a little kid, I really liked NASCAR. One thing that really caught my fancy was that they were racing Chevys and Buicks and Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs and Fords and Mercuries and Plymouth and Dodges...

Now, cars all look alike. Blech.

Yup. And there was no mechanical monster template they had to fit into. When they started complaining in numbers to NASCAR about ford has this and Chevy has that and Buick is doing this that opened the flood gates. It is now a 1 size fits all.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    yea, I really started loosing interest when the tbirds and monte carlos went away....
    I mean, how is it "stock cars" when there was surely no 2-door, RWD, v8 Taurus at the dealers.....

restrictor plate races always sucked. luck of avoiding the wrecks & snooze fests.

green white checker finishes, points shoot out, now the weird mid race pauses.... not the same sport I grew up on, and none of the changes rekindled any interest. My Dad still watches, so every now and then I'm obligated to sit through a race, but I just can't get into it.

Still have my #6 Mark Martin hat. He was a cool dude.

-rvb

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm not exactly a big fan of the segment racing...except at the all star race. If they want to have segments, thry should do it much like many Saturday night short tracks. X number of cars qualify into the A main, run a short B main and X number will transfer to the A main and the rest can load up and hope for a better outcome next week. Do all races need to be 500 miles? If you run a B main and A main you could shorten the length of the race in hope it will add a sense of urgency to get up on the wheel and pass some cars.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    yea, I really started loosing interest when the tbirds and monte carlos went away....
    I mean, how is it "stock cars" when there was surely no 2-door, RWD, v8 Taurus at the dealers.....

restrictor plate races always sucked. luck of avoiding the wrecks & snooze fests.

green white checker finishes, points shoot out, now the weird mid race pauses.... not the same sport I grew up on, and none of the changes rekindled any interest. My Dad still watches, so every now and then I'm obligated to sit through a race, but I just can't get into it.

Still have my #6 Mark Martin hat. He was a cool dude.

-rvb

Drafting up to make a pass on your own. Car having the balls to run out in the air. Side drafting to make a pass. Dale senior was a master at side drafting as were many of the good old boys already mentioned. Try that now and you end up with a pile of wreckage.
    You could bump draft and not upset the front car where as now you fart and it will spin.

The Riverside road course. Look at some old footage. Those guys were balls out.

Today all you freaking hear is "Strategy". Who cares.

Oh, will someone tell Waltrip to STFU and STFD please. Please.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Drafting up to make a pass on your own. Car having the balls to run out in the air. Side drafting to make a pass. Dale senior was a master at side drafting as were many of the good old boys already mentioned. Try that now and you end up with a pile of wreckage.
    You could bump draft and not upset the front car where as now you fart and it will spin.

Dale Sr was a master at putting people into the wall. It just so happened he was the last person he put into the wall. there, I said it.
    -rvb

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Yes

And I can appreciate DW's input but jaws needs to stop trying to dominate the commentary

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yup. And there was no mechanical monster template they had to fit into. When they started complaining in numbers to NASCAR about ford has this and Chevy has that and Buick is doing this that opened the flood gates. It is now a 1 size fits all.

I noticed that. Everyone was all excited about Mustangs being introduced this season, but the only thing "Mustang like" about them were the tail light decals. If you look at any of the cars from the side, you'd be hard pressed to tell what they were.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dale Sr was a master at putting people into the wall. It just so happened he was the last person he put into the wall. there, I said it.
    -rvb

No he was a master with drafting. Yes he did tend to upset the air and cause cars to get loose..that's racing. All yoo oftwn other drivers in efforts to keep him from passing either over steered or under steered when the car would wiggle and lost it. I was much younger then and accused Dale of crashing people and being a bit of a dirty driver. But as I aged and understood how things work better and got a better understanding of many drivers ability limits, I realized most often it wasn't his fault.

I say that as someone who came to appreciate what he did for the sport and how good he was with the draft. And I never was a Dale Earnhardt fan.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wrecking people got him the intimidator nickname.

If you get your front bumper down under someone and make their car wiggle and they lose it doesn't mean you wrecked them. Now I will say that he did often get someone's car to wiggling and he just helped them on around. I think it was part of his aggressiveness as a driver. I think he felt like if he could make you get a little out of shape and either you couldn't hang on or waited too long to lift it was your problem. I never understood why sime of the other drivers didn't just race him the same way. Many backed down when Dale got his bumper close.
    Kinda like Kyle Busch, tries to intimidate as a driver. One big difference is when Kyle gets raced the same way he throws a tantrum and points fingers. Dale just spoke his mind and waited to give it right back.

If we want to talk about drivers who would dump you in a wall in heartbeat now that was Jimmy Spencer

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you get your front bumper down under someone and make their car wiggle and they lose it doesn't mean you wrecked them. Now I will say that he did often get someone's car to wiggling and he just helped them on around. I think it was part of his aggressiveness as a driver. I think he felt like if he could make you get a little out of shape and either you couldn't hang on or waited too long to lift it was your problem. I never understood why sime of the other drivers didn't just race him the same way. Many backed down when Dale got his bumper close.
    Kinda like Kyle Busch, tries to intimidate as a driver. One big difference is when Kyle gets raced the same way he throws a tantrum and points fingers. Dale just spoke his mind and waited to give it right back.

If we want to talk about drivers who would dump you in a wall in heartbeat now that was Jimmy Spencer

Mr. James Spencer for the win...:)

I really dont want to set us off on a tangent about Dale......"But".....I tend to agree with T-chicken here. I did see him punt more than a few drivers over his career. More than a few. But the majority did themselves in as he was "Intimidating" them. But Spencer was the "Wreck it Ralph" of the series. Heck Gordon punted his share but he was a golden boy so he got a pass more often than not.

When they introduced the "Bumper" Cam. That was too freaking cool. The black #3 comes sailing up on the target.....you think he is making contact. You would swear he is making contact but the side shot shows a faint glimmer of light between the bumpers. He would assist the lead car up through the pack and then break off when the time was right.......For him...:):

Man I miss those days.

OK now you guys can flame me.........:flamethrower:.....I am ready....:):

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Didn’t even know NASCAR was still a thing? Open wheels, Sports Cars, or Rallye for the win. CanAm, GTO, GTP, And GTU, of the old days was cool too.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Mr. James Spencer for the win...:)

I really dont want to set us off on a tangent about Dale......"But".....I tend to agree with T-chicken here. I did see him punt more than a few drivers over his career. More than a few. But the majority did themselves in as he was "Intimidating" them. But Spencer was the "Wreck it Ralph" of the series. Heck Gordon punted his share but he was a golden boy so he got a pass more often than not.

When they introduced the "Bumper" Cam. That was too freaking cool. The black #3 comes sailing up on the target.....you think he is making contact. You would swear he is making contact but the side shot shows a faint glimmer of light between the bumpers. He would assist the lead car up through the pack and then break off when the time was right.......For him...:):

Man I miss those days.

OK now you guys can flame me.........:flamethrower:.....I am ready....:):

Exactly. I almost forgot how ground breaking the bumper cam was

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    No he was a master with drafting. Yes he did tend to upset the air and cause cars to get loose..that's racing. All yoo oftwn other drivers in efforts to keep him from passing either over steered or under steered when the car would wiggle and lost it. I was much younger then and accused Dale of crashing people and being a bit of a dirty driver. But as I aged and understood how things work better and got a better understanding of many drivers ability limits, I realized most often it wasn't his fault.

I say that as someone who came to appreciate what he did for the sport and how good he was with the draft. And I never was a Dale Earnhardt fan.

drafting is using aerodynamics to gain speed and get around. Yes, he was good at that. But When he couldn’t accomplish that, He'd use aerodynamics to wreck folks, or at best "almost" wreck then when he didn’t have the car or line to get around. That’s not drafting.

sometimes, sure, the driver he was trying to get around would loose it by driving in their mirrors too much, but many times he flat forced them loose.

I never understood why sime of the other drivers didn't just race him the same way. Many backed down when Dale got his bumper close.

cause they weren’t dirty racers? :dunno:

I had said for several years prior to his last race he was gonna kill somebody. Just happened that time he didn’t time it right and ran out of room and got his nose clipped. but yea, he did a lot for the sport... wrecks and drama brought viewership...

i know to speak negative of #3 is nascar sacrilege and my opinion of his racing style is seldom shared, but it is what it is...

2c

now nascar tries so hard to bunch the cars up on the restrictor plate races ..... I think they love to see "the big one" and see dollar signs while the sparks are flying...

I don’t even know anyone driving anymore...

the one thing I miss about getting rid of cable is not getting to see MotoGP and AMA races. :(

-rvb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    drafting is using aerodynamics to gain speed and get around. Yes, he was good at that. But When he couldn’t accomplish that, He'd use aerodynamics to wreck folks, or at best "almost" wreck then when he didn’t have the car or line to get around. That’s not drafting.

sometimes, sure, the driver he was trying to get around would loose it by driving in their mirrors too much, but many times he flat forced them loose.

I had said for several years prior to his last race he was gonna kill somebody. Just happened that time he didn’t time it right and ran out of room and got his nose clipped. but yea, he did a lot for the sport... wrecks and drama brought viewership...

i know to speak negative of #3 is nascar sacrilege and my opinion of his racing style is seldom shared, but it is what it is...

2c

now nascar tries so hard to bunch the cars up on the restrictor plate races ..... I think they love to see "the big one" and see dollar signs while the sparks are flying...

the one thing I miss about getting rid of cable is not getting to see MotoGP and AMA races. :(

-rvb

I feel slighted. I was all braced up for the :flamethrower:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

2c

-rvb

Well using aerodynamics either to draft up behimd a car or to give someone the wiggle is just racing. Doesn't make one a dirty driver.
    I always felt like you should race your own way. But if you know one dude is likely to put you in the fence then you'd best get up on the wheel and be ready to not let that sucker push you around....even if that means you lay the bumper to them.

As for what Dale did for the sport, sure plenty of drama but there were a number of great things he did while flying under the radar. And again he was never one of my favorite drivers.
    NASCAR has been bunching cars up for many years. And as a result, yes they know it will create the big one. Reality is many people watch to see the wrecks. I hate that but its true

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Has anyone stopped to consider that between the ARCA race, the Xfinity race, the truck race, and the Daytona 500 nearly 100 cars were crashed? Money doesn’t grow on trees, people. The drivers’ risk of injury is much lower now and they simply don’t treat each other with respect they used to. Somethings gotta give. NASCAR’s TV contract is what keeps it alive. The people who come and pay their hard-earned money to sit in the stands or camp out and watch the races live are simply the in-studio audience. If NASCAR keeps putting on ****-shows and people tune out, even from the comfort of their sofas, the sport is done.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone stopped to consider that between the ARCA race, the Xfinity race, the truck race, and the Daytona 500 nearly 100 cars were crashed? Money doesn’t grow on trees, people. The drivers’ risk of injury is much lower now and they simply don’t treat each other with respect they used to. Somethings gotta give. NASCAR’s TV contract is what keeps it alive. The people who come and pay their hard-earned money to sit in the stands or camp out and watch the races live are simply the in-studio audience. If NASCAR keeps putting on ****-shows and people tune out, even from the comfort of their sofas, the sport is done.

Agreed.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Anyone remember when Dale Jarrett was 2 laps down at the brickyard and raced his butt off to get back to the lead lap? And then went and done something crazy like win the race!?

Now that was some good racing days! There should be a nascars rerun thread. Where we can relive some good racing...

edit: sorry I went back to read that race and Jarrett crashed in practice giving him a mid pack start before winning.(‘96)
    In 98 he went 4 laps down and got back to the lead lap.

Got my facts mixed. Lots of Bud-wise-er in those years!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom